“Nice staff - awful service”

Balans Soho Society - Stratford City
Ranked #5 415 of 25 420 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene
Description: After shopping and promenading around Westfield Shopping Centre, lose a morning, afternoon or evening in the finest way possible. Relaxed, spontaneous, sociable dining is very much the order of the day at Balans, whatever the time of day. Whether it’s for a brief encounter at breakfast, a meandering weekend brunch, a light lunch or a candlelit dalliance over dinner, Balans Soho Society extends the most cordial of invitations to whet the appetite or wet the whistle, whatever your pleasure. “If restaurants could win Nobel prizes, Balans Soho Society would be in line…’ Tatler Restaurant Guide.
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Went here for a quick coffee. Americano took 30 minutes to arrive. I paid in cash and change took another 15 minutes to come.

To add insult to injury the chair I sat in had a few crooked screws which I cut my fingers on.

Staff are nice and friendly but definitely needs to improve its service.

1  Thank MHD1323

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went to Balans for brunch today, Sunday, and both had the ‘High Society eggs benedict’ - please go have a look at the picture they have uploaded on their website of this dish (have uploaded that for ease!) Then have a look at the ACTUAL dish that I’ve got today. SUCH A JOKE! The avocado was mushed and not sliced and the lobster- OH DEAR- there were like 3 LOBSTERS CRUMBLED PIECES on top of it...nothing in the middle, ridiculous! AND, the lobster tasted like it was gone off...but as we waited quite a long time for it we were hungry and couldn’t be bothered to send it back. To drink we had the ‘Society Spritz’ which is meant to be a grapefruit prosecco and aperol drink- it was good, although for £11 you expect a bigger glass than a small flute...two sips and it’s gone. Bill came up to £55, yes you read that right- £55- including %12.50 gratuity (see pics). Despite being optional, I really don’t like the fact that they automatically add it- this is not the US, right? So annoying. Won’t go back- there’s plenty of other places that do a MUCH better job with eggs benedict!

1  Thank L9674QLpaolab
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

We had a reservation at Balans, after being seated it took a long time to catch someone waiting on the tables for service even to order some drinks. The staff appeared to be busy and mistakes were made. When we did manage to order, one of the drinks was forgotten, the cheese omelette had no cheese in it and the poached eggs on muffins were disappointingly served on bread. There was no notification that the restaurant had run out of muffins until one of the party complained. The food was swapped which meant the individuals had to wait double the time and eat after everyone else had finished. It felt like a bit of a fob off and it would only be courteous to notify that they had run out rather than trying to swap and charge the same. There was also egg shell in one of the meals. Balans did take some money off the bill however that isn't really the point. We had gone out for a celebratory brunch and the food was very disappointing.

1  Thank phiewe
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

Went with a friend for lunch. The staff were very nice when you got their attention. However it was very hard to get their attention, so the service was slow. We had to ask three times for more water.
We weren’t very hungry so had the small plates, which were actually tiny.
The bill came to £23.06 and we left hungry. Wouldn’t rush back. There are much better places in Westfield.

1  Thank 996juner
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

I ordered the ‘infamous’ burger off the menu and I’ve got to say that for £14 what I got was pretty poor. The burger had no sauce and was so dry it was hard to eat. I asked the waitress if it came with sauce and she said it did not. So I had to ask for ketchup and poured a lot of that instead. It was a very disappointing burger. The chips were nice though. My partner ordered the seafood linguine and was happy with that.

1  Thank RachelBonDesign

Been to Balans Soho Society - Stratford City? Share your experiences!