La Suite West - Hyde Park
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsbayswater tube stationhyde parkunderfloor heatingvegan afternoon teaheated floor in the bathroomdesign hotelfour posternotting hillcentral linerain showerkensington gardensbed was comfortablethe ground floorreception staffcooked breakfastfull englishmini bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

This was the last of 3 hotels I booked while visiting England and France and was excited to find that it was less cramped and had a big bathroom with a soaking tub. Also had a fridge and wine glasses to be able to enjoy some wine back in your room after a long day of exploring. Location was perfect as I got to explore Notting Hill and Hyde Park but also was close to the Underground. Didn’t eat at the restaurant so cannot comment on that but the staff was friendly. I would return.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Booked directly with hotel which was superior room including breakfast ( included when booking is made directly with hotel - same prices as with any other website in general) with a king bed.
Arrived in room 103 which had two single beds.
Was then given room 009 which is at ground level. Lovely room itself. 4 poster bed etc. However, the noise is just not acceptable. Toilet flushes from other rooms, people waking on their floors above, noise outside window ( that’s a pathway for staff to go to different doors for kitchen access).
Complained in the morning and was given 20% off. That was just ok. Accepted it and walked out. Won’t be coming back. Real shame.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cloggy23
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

It's fair to start this review by saying I didn't originally book this hotel so my opinions and usual laissez-faire attitude may have been impacted somewhat by the late afternoon cancellation of my existing booking - having just had a long day at a conference in the middle of London and 150 miles from home.

I didn't help myself either because I'd planned to walk to my original hotel so in a fit of pique I decided to martyr myself and walk to the new one. I shouldn't have. Especially not when it required walking an extra mile and a half, including a significant streych through Hyde Park after dark - and getting effectively locked in...

I also ended up having to be moved to a different room due to bad smells so it wasn't the best setting, but at least I get to review a superior double (lots of floor space including a sofa) and a junior suite (not so much space at all but a bigger bathroom and separate sitting area). I say bathroom... Neither bathroom actually had a bath in it!

The above in mind, I'm pretty pragmatic so here's my review. Make of it what you will:

Location isn't bad. A hundred yards or so from Hyde Park, on the doorstep of Bayswater tube station and spitting distance from Queensland, it's next to many bars and pubs, shops and restaurants. A very eclectic choice too (of each of these).

On arrival at the hotel, the place is quite an impressively large corner building that looks like its always been a hotel. The plot includes outside seating and an enclosed veranda. I did find it hard to find reception though! There's no obvious signage and no obvious door - just a thin glass window in a wooden panel you have to push!

Once you're inside the guest zone, the place is like a labyrinth - long, dark, bland corridors that all look the same. Room numbers are below eye level and not on the doors where you would expect and signage is minimalistic or completely absent.

Check in was smooth enough, especially given the very recent booking, however I was told my room was on the ground level and was surprised when I had to carry my bags down some stairs...

I presumed the 'ground floor' incorporated a mezzanine and was all called 'ground'. It wasn't, it transpired my room was actually on the lower ground level so this caused confusion both getting in and getting back out (cue lots of expletives as I rode the lift back up 'a level' to the first floor and couldn't even find reception let alone the exit). Transpires they have a lift and if you are told the right floor, there are not so many stairs to contend with!

On entry to the room, I was a bit surprised the sash window was open and the heating on 28°C but didn't question it, just shut the window for security and turned down the heating... Access to a fridge and complimentary tea and coffee (but no biscuits) we're a nice touch.

I went out and ate some food. Great Chinese restaurant just round the corner by the way called Kam Tong - sensible prices, excellent service and delicious food.

I came back and realised the room had an issue. It smelled of spilt beer. Tired after a long day that had started at 4.30am, I called my wife and lay on the bed to find out about her day and tell her about mine. The longer I lay there, I got waft after waft of drainage smell from the bathroom.

My wife told me to ask them for another room which they did, bless them, with no hassle. Only the Porter got a bit lost when locating the room for me (and he works there...) so this kinda proves my point about signage.

The hotel feels quite modern inside and they've used high quality materials. Both rooms I had contained 4-poster beds and had nice high ceilings. However, I think the renovation is getting long in the tooth. They've obviously had some leaks (plumbing rather than roof, methinks) as there are obvious stains in the corridor carpet in a couple of places and there is wear and damage to odd bits of furniture, fixtures and fittings (nothing major though) throughout.

Almost all the internal doors are like this half-screen design which you can see through. They slide, which is nice till you're trying to be quiet at night as the rumbling is quite loud. The bathroom door made me jump though... The bathroom door has a mirror embedded in it, which I didn't notice when I shut it due to the A/C and escaping steam. Given it was open on arrival (and another sliding door so hidden from sight), I went to leave the bathroom following a shower and nearly jumped out of my skin, thinking another person was just outside the bathroom door! I physically jumped!

It looks like real marble or at least real granite in the bathrooms (floor, walls and sink/vanity bar) and under floor heating was a nice touch. The heated mirror was also a luxury (it didn't steam up). The water pressure is great in the shower, and the big rain shower is lovely but the showers are also noisy - you can hear them in other rooms - and they make a loud clunk when you shut them off. The towels were nice big bathsheets and clean, if not massively fluffy, and face cloths are provided too, as well as hand towels. I think it's worth mentioning that the free toiletries smelt really nice too! I used the soap, shower gel and shampoo.

The radio alarm going off unprompted at midnight was a PITA but other than that, I slept really well. The bed was really comfortable and nice and firm. It was also LONG! I was really worried by the inbuilt TV in the bed in the suite as it essentially boxed off the end of the bed. I am over 6'2" tall (189.5 cm to be more precise) and usually my feet hang over the end in a hotel bed (in fact, in most beds everywhere) but with my heels against the footboard, I could fit two full clenched fists between my head and the headboard! I reckon, despite being no wider than a standard double, the bed was around 2.1m long!

The lights were annoying. They didn't seem to be connected to the wall switches so I had to go round the whole room turning things off individually (once I'd located the switches!) before I could go to sleep.

Breakfast wasn't bad; I've had worse. I'm a sucker for a full English, especially when someone else is cooking it for me, so despite the very tempting Eggs Royale, Florentine or Benedict, I went for the 'Free Range' option from the fixed menu (all hot food options are cooked to order). The 'bacon' was very continental in style and a choice of beef or turkey sausage was unusual in the UK but understandable, especially for such a multicultural city as London, since some people won't eat pork. My poached eggs were a little firmer than I'd have liked but not dry and the hash browns were crispy. The baked beans came in a little pot and the fried mushrooms were tasty. I asked for brown sauce and this took a while to come but service was friendly and otherwise efficient. The coffee however, while tasty, could have been warmer - and for me to say that, it means it was really not that hot as I don't like truly 'hot' drinks. It came in an insulated cafetiere but once I had added milk, it was tepid at most.

Checkout was easy, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in the problems from the night before. valet on hand to open the door on the way out

With so much other choice, I personally would look at other options before booking again but I wouldn't rule it out (especially after a good night's sleep!) - plus this is just my experience; yours might be totally different. :-)

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Iain N
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Stayed before when it opened and loved it but this visit the cracks are beginning to show;friendly check in , we got a great rate on a suite at the front with its own terrace.
Room was a good size , had everything we wanted the cleanliness could have been better though.
This room had a new striped carpet more comfortable than the sisal that everyone comments on, some hideous striped cover on the sofa and some limp looking cushions.Hope this is not the look for the up coming revamp , starting to move away from the original design that makes this hotel so appealing to many guests, the breakfast room has had a reshuffle and is now a jumble of tables and some tired units hosting a mediocre breakfast. I won't comment on the chipped paint work and dents as I know this will be addressed shortly.
Can't fault the service but they need to stay with the designers original vision to keep the hotel as stylish as when it opened, sure this is the attraction for so many people; and of course the location!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may hear the rumble of the tube from early morning.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
La_Suite_West, Manager at La Suite West - Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Dear oakman1,

Firstly thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel.

We are happy to read that the room was to your liking and the carpet more comfortable and the service faultless.we do have renovation plans in place for 2018 and are in the process of replacing carpets and soft furnishings and redesigning our rooms.

We know that we’re lucky with a location near to Hyde Park, Oxford Street and of course Bayswater and Queensway underground stations.

Kind Regards,
Rohan Kambli
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We booked through Secret Escapes. This place looked so promising.

We were really disappointed by the dingey, poorly maintained, unwelcoming rooms. And we speak with some authority as we checked out 8 rooms once we saw the first was so bad. We took the best of the eight but this hotel is in serious need of a makeover.

Positives - breakfast - fresh well prepared
Neutral - bathroom - heated floor
Negative - room - frayed carpet, worn out

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul K
La_Suite_West, Manager at La Suite West - Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Dear Paul K,

Firstly thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed the breakfast however I’m sorry that the accommodations were not up to the standard one should expect; we do have renovation plans in place for 2018 and are in the process of replacing carpets and soft furnishings and redesigning our rooms.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future and if you contact me first I will endeavour to make things right with you.

Kind Regards,