All reviews tuck box the palm court fitz's bar russell square russell hotel stunning hotel corner suite grand hotel staff were exceptional public spaces door staff british museum amazing room four poster bed cocktail bar full length mirror concierge team
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We’ve stayed in a lot of good hotels in London over the years and our recent weekend at The Principal tops the lot. The hotel has a grand, luxurious atmosphere with high ceilings and beautiful decor. There are amusing, quirky touches which add to the enjoyment and make the hotel extra special. The staff were faultless with their friendly, helpful attitude. There is an excellent bar and restaurant plus a more informal coffee cafe. The beds and bed linen were super comfortable and very nice toiletries too. We will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the corner suite. If your budget allows it then you won’t be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Paul W, General Manager at Kimpton Fitzroy London, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear Polly T,

Thank you for your sharing such a great feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed all your Principal London experiences. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I chose The Principal for one night due to proximity to the tube station and being in the direct line to go to Trafalgar Studios where we had booked to see Killer Joe. We parked in the nearby NCP car park, only a couple of minutes walk away. From arrival to departure every member of staff was fantastic. We made use of the bar which had a lovely ambience and served excellent cocktails. Our room was a superior double.....clean and of a good size as well as being decorated very well. Breakfast was excellent and my request for gluten free bread was dealt with without fuss and promptly brought out. I have only two regrets.....and that is that we did not have time for neither lunch nor dinner in the hotel, as well as only booking for one night. We have now decided that this is our favourite hotel in London and we will hopefully be back for another night to celebrate our anniversary in September.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AndyM290670
Paul W, General Manager at Kimpton Fitzroy London, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear AndyM290670,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to learn that your stay was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and that we are now "your favourite hotel in London". Rest assured that I will share your feedback with the team. We look forward to welcoming you & your wife back to The Principal London.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We visited this hotel prior to a visit later in the year. We were made to feel most welcome by the door staff, reception staff and the concierge Conor. We were given a tour of the hotel ground floor and told of the history of the hotel, formerly known as The Russel. We look forward to our future visit with great anticipation. Later the next day, whilst staying at another hotel, we visited again and ate in the Burr and Co coffee house, which is also very welcoming and friendly. Would definitely recommend, the hotel and the coffee house.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Dear ripto,

Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear you had a great time at The Principal London. Thank you for your kind comment on Conor who will be thrilled to know that he made your stay with us special. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel. It looks grand and imposing but it is comfortable and relaxed. They are super-friendly to dogs. You can leave your dog alone in your room and can take them to all areas of the hotel. This is a hotel that you can happily spend time in. Food is lovely. Extensive drinks menu. Staff are really good at their job and patient. My only complaint was that my room (218) was on two levels - bathroom and wardrobes downstairs. I found this awkward but others might like the quirkiness of it. Location is good and having Russell Square Gardens opposite is marvellous for dogs. I will definitely go back.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Paul W, General Manager at Kimpton Fitzroy London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Dear westkilbrideroad ,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are delighted that you and your four-legs friend enjoyed your Principal London experience. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

I haven’t been here for years , but time has been good for this beautiful building (or a few million pounds ) the refurb is amazing , warm and welcoming , supported by brilliant staff . The rooms are not huge, but very comfortable and ample bathrooms . It would be a 5 but I didn’t have time to experience the bar and restaurant . Highlight for me - clever lifts, no stopping on many floors! I’ll be back

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Rhechan

Dear Rhechan,

Thank you for your kind review and feedback on our lifts, I was delighted you had such an enjoyable stay and have shared your compliments with everyone who helped make it memorable. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Principal London very soon for you to try our Fitz's bar and Neptune restaurant.