“Parker says "Great authentic pub off Covent Garden."”
Review of Lamb & Flag

Lamb & Flag
Ranked #37 of 1 346 Nightlife in London
More attraction details
Owner description: At 400 years, the oldest pub in Covent Garden has hardly changed over the years and is proud of its heritage. A huge range of cask and keg beers compliment our wonderful fresh food. A truly traditional English pub in every sense.
Reviewed 14 October 2018

For some reason, Tripadvisor classifies this as an attraction, so the questions they ask are relative to that versus a restaurant?! So here's the restaurant comments. If you want a little break from the Covent Garden mayhem and their touristy restaurants, take a short walk to the Lamb for a nice lunch. Great pub with an upstairs dining room, which as I recall was a Charles Dickens hangout. Great steak and ale pie and a huge fish and chips portion (with mushy peas of course). Great beers and ciders in a relaxed atmosphere with very nice wait staff. Check it out....it's off in a little alley so use your tech maps to find it. You won't be disappointed.

Date of experience: October 2018
Patrick L, General Manager at Lamb & Flag, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Hi ParkerSturbridge

for reasons we have never been quite sure of tripadvisor has us listed twice, as a place to eat and as an attraction, I have never managed to get to the bottom of it and in truth it is not the end of the world so we just roll with it. Thank you very much for your lovely, kind thoughtful and comprehensive review. You have summed up pretty much exactly what our ethos is, always great to hear we are getting it right from our guests, I will pass on your great review to my team. Hopefully you will join us again soon when you are next in the area.

Best Regards

"fullers"
in 5 reviews
"century"

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

I booked through their website for a meet up with friends for dinner (It works great!). I chose the pub because it’s so central and really wasn’t expecting much. When I got there the pub was packed with Friday night drinkers and my heart sank... not for long though! The upstairs dining room is lovely. Cosy, historic and quiet. The table was fabulous. I cheekily asked for a window table and that’s what I got. The staff were lovely. Really friendly and helpful. Table service but Not overly pushy, just left us to our evening. (Thanks guys!!!) Food was tasty and satisfying. The pie I had was outstanding. Packed full of flavour and meat. Deserts were a lovely treat too. Only slight disappointment was no available cheeseboard (the super waiter did try and ask the kitchen!) but hey, if it’s not on the menu, it’s not on the menu. Overall a lovely civilised evening in a lovely historic setting.

Date of experience: October 2018
Patrick L, General Manager at Lamb & Flag, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Hi Katie M

thank you so much for such a lovely review, we always try to get it right each and every time and it looks as though we got it pretty much spot on this time other than not having a cheeseboard on the menu, we only recently removed it as it was not an overly popular dish. I will pass on your kind words to the team who will be delighted to hear such wonderful praise. Thanks again and we hope you will join us again when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

We visited London with our grown up children for a theatre weekend.

We found this by accident after we passed it whilst looking for somewhere to eat after a show. We ate elsewhere, and then popped in for a drink because it looked so interesting..
Well, we expected London prices, but £31.00 for the 5 drinks was still a slight shock....
We didn't find the staff over friendly, polite but not a particularly warm reception... maybe an off night - looking at previous reviews. I hope so because after all it is hospitality industry!
It was very busy. People were stood outside smoking and drinking when we approached and inside downstairs was also very busy and difficult to get a seat or no where to stand.

One of the party popped upstairs and said it appeared to be meals only... maybe we'll put it on our list for the next time we visit the capital.
Luckily a group moved away from stools near to the doors and we were able to move over.

All that said, I love history... and the history of this pub, the beautiful woodwork and ill fitting wooden doors appealed to me... It was so quaint, so beautifully old.... I spent just short of an hour drinking in the history, talking and catching up with my family and wondering about what used to be, alongside my favourite past time of people watching.....

1  Thank MissingLady
Patrick L, General Manager at Lamb & Flag, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Hi MissingLady
thanks for taking the time to place a review, it is much appreciated. I am sorry if the cost came as a bit of a shock, we are pretty competitive for the area. We try very hard to be the most welcoming and friendly pub in the area but it looks like we did not quite hit the mark with you, it does get particularly busy on both floors and I am pleased that you managed to get a spot to sit in the end. We are the oldest pub in Covent Garden and are very proud of our history so thank you for your appreciation and hope you will join us again when you are next in the area.
Best Regards

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Pitched as one of the oldest pubs in London the Lamb & Flag is hidden down a side alley just off Covent Garden. Inside it looks the part, all old wooden beams and pannels. Reasonable selection of drinks and we enjoyed having a pint to refresh before we explored some more.

Date of experience: September 2018

HI jackinbox99

glad to provide some well needed liquid refreshment during your journey. see you again hopefully