“So much to see!”

Ranked #1 of 1 909 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Gallery houses the national collection of paintings in the Western European tradition from the 13th to the 19th centuries. It is on show 361 days a year, free of charge.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We were blown away by our visit - staff all very professional and courteous - coffee shop and shop both great and lovely clean toilets. But those were just the basics. The museum and galleries and the simply magnificent artworks were worth a thousand visits and we can’t wait to go back!

Date of experience: June 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (36 270)
All reviews
"couple of hours"
in 307 reviews

1 823 - 1 827 of 36 272 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Monet is my favourite artist so couldn't miss seeing this exhibition. There were many paintings I had never seen before & was amazed by how close you could get to them although they are better viewed from a distance. Would have liked there to have been more paintings as it seemed expensive for 90 minutes of viewing slowly. Although I could spend all day looking at Monet paintings.
Found a few more around the Gallery as well as Van Gogh's Sunflowers which I wasn't aware this painting was here.
The building in itself is beautiful to look at. I would advise keeping track of where you are as it is easy to walk from one gallery to another and before you know it you've lost your bearings!

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We could have spent a whole day here, although we only had about 3 hours total. I would have rated a 5 for the art, but the audioguide was confusing, and, we had a very rude waiter at the restaurant in the gallery.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I went here with my partner on the first May bank holiday weekend. This is a great place to spend an hour or so looking around at some amazing art. Such a variety on display and there is always something different to see. Free to visit but if you can a donation will keep it free.

Date of experience: May 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Very dissapointed because I was visiting London with a cabin luggage with 4 wheels and the hotel I stayed in was too far to leave the luggage until later on. Basically at the entrance it shows that you are allowed with a luggage size 45x25x25 and not bigger. I asked the staff and mine was slightly bigger, but the problem was the 4 wheels not the size. Not happy about it.