“Must see, but...”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$28,39*
and up
The British Museum Tour - The Ideas That Made Our...
Ranked #2 of 1 815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A museum of the world, for the world. Discover over two million years of human history and culture. Some of the world-famous objects include the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures and Egyptian mummies.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had the misfortune to visit at half term, which is school vacation week for Americans needing translation. Over crowded, noisy, and overwhelming. I really, really wanted to love it - the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon Marbles, amazing Egyptian and Babylonian figures, and more. I think that perhaps I need to visit again on a quiet morning; there is a phenomenon known as gallery fatigue, and unfortunately universal museums (which try to have *everything*) seem to bring that out in me. Long queue to go through airport style security, which is understandable with the terrorist attacks that had taken place in town earlier in the year, but they could have been more efficient. Irony - signs posted asking people not to sit on the stairs at the main entrance, and dozens of people sitting on the stairs with no staff doing anything about it (I believe that would be a fire safety violation???). I guess I was disappointed - I've met curators from this institution and was ready to be thrilled. I just don't want to be surrounded by bus tours and scores of antsy children when I'm trying to soak up the art and artifacts. On the plus side, I absolutely adore the glass-covered great court surrounding the reading room. I wish I'd had my big 35mm camera with a fish eye lens to get some cool photos of the space because it was amazing. Of the staff that I did interact with, most seemed overwhelmed and harried that day - again - half term - avoid at all costs.

1  Thank Soli-77
Write a ReviewReviews (60 293)
All reviews
"pantheon"
in 745 reviews

310 - 314 of 60 307 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a great hour or so here. There is plenty to see and learn about. I was particularly taken aback by some of the human remains.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great museum and free entry! Not far from Russell Square so easy 10-15 minute walk from the tube station there. Key attraction is the Rosetta Stone which is impressive and close to the entrance but great exhibits through time. Definitely worth the visit!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The layout of this enormous museum is very logical and easy to follow. The signature exhibit such as the Rosetta Stone is located right inside the entrance to that area. The unique treasures that on display are incomparable. I loved the Louvre but this museum has it hands down for ease of access and its all free except some special exhibits. Go early to avoid crowds but even later it was accessible. I went 3 times!

1  Thank CLCIFox