“Perfect for a beautiful hot day until it just got too hot to stay”
Review of Alto by San Carlo

Alto by San Carlo
Ranked #4 138 of 24 685 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wanted to treat my son to lunch, somewhere good, a little different. Alto in Selfridges didn't open that long ago so thought it worth a try. the restaurant is on the roof, mostly covered but with the sides open. When we first sat down it was warm possibly hot but quite bearable.
They explained the portions were smaller than normal and for sharing. They really were quite small, there Summer Salad was so ridiculously small as was the baked avocado, containing three of the tiniest slices with a little garnish. The plate was taken away from he table whilst we were still trying to enjoy the tiny pieces of olives, peppers and leaves on the plate.
Don't get me wrong, it was all absolutely delicious but the portions were TINY!
It just got hotter and hotter until we just had to leave.Asked three times for a jug of water, and there times for the bill. In the end I got up and went to the till whilst my son went to the reception where it was a little cooler.
Don't think I'll return, plenty more places to try in London

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We went here when it first opened as have tried Forest previously and been impressed.

They have taken this up a level with an impressive menu and drinks selection. The concept of Italian tapas was well executed and helpful advise on dish options. Service was impeccable and would highly recommend you visit but would advise booking.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My boyfriend and I went for lunch here. We pre-brook 2 weeks in advance.

We were swiftly taken to our table. The staff explained that the portion sizes were smaller, like tapas. We ordered a starter to share, pizza for main and 2 sides, we were both stuffed. The food was lovely, couldn’t fault it.

The service was brilliant, the staff were attentive, Friendly and happy. They worked great as a team, very efficient.

I do think the food was reasonably priced and worth the money.

We’ll definitely be visiting again.

I recommend pre-booking before you go as the restaurant was full.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I took my partner to this new restaurant for her birthday which sits on the top floor of Selfridge’s in London and on this occasion it was a beautiful early summers day and we were able to eat under the night sky.

Restaurant provide an excellent range of classical Italian food that is supported by great staff that added to he entertainment in a way only Italians can by spending the evening talking loudly to each other and often arguing and shouting in Italian much the amusement of the customers.

All the food we had throughout the evening was away high-quality Tiptree my own Veal Escalope Milanese, and Tiramisu that we both had for a shared desert.

We will certainly be returning again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

I've been a regular to Cicchetti in Piccadilly and their sisters restaurants in Covent Garden. Imagine my delight when Selfridges opened their seasonal rooftop restaurant with Alto - another member of the family. Visited twice last week. It is THAT good. The service is amazing. Llana (hope correct) welcomed us, with a warm hug - yes, a hug. She remembered us as regulars of Piccadilly. Our experience got better and better. Alexandra was also a wonderful host and the waiting staff are both knowledgeable and friendly. The food is sensational. I cannot recommend this place enough. Advice is to order 2 plates each, share these and continue ordering plate by plate until you re bursting. We will be regulars over the summer season. Thank you all !

Been to Alto by San Carlo? Share your experiences!