“Names on a Plane Event”

Ranked #437 of 1 871 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited for the afternoon Names on a Plane event 24/06/2018, In this the 100th year of the RAF the museum has been transformed. The work carried out has been fantastic and a big shout out to all involved, if you decide to visit I suggest a day visit to check out all the buildings as there is a lot to take in..

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"cosford"
"simulator"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We went with most of the family as part of ‘put your name on a plane’.
The museum is free to enter & compared to the RAF museum in cosford ( near where I live) it’s bigger& more modern. A bigger variety of aeroplanes to be seen.
The gift shop is good & 3 cafe on site. The staff are friendly & the place is clean.
I like the lockers that you can use to store your stuff while visiting & you get your £1 back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for the names on a plane event but got to look around the whole museum and we were very pleased we spent 3 hours exploring the hangers and marvelling at the amount of items to look at. The large hanger with the Lancaster was very impressive we spent quite a while in here.

There was a cafe, we didnt use it but the food looked good and plenty of places to sit. We did however use the small tea place in the shop area for a drink and quick bite and that was fab very tasty so worth the money. The shop was also good some great gift ideas and fair prices.

Whole museum was accessible and easy to get around all in all great day out for all the family. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were sent an invite to a special event this day Sunday June 24th. Got a car park pass and details of the security, it was in two events, morning and afternoon. As we had over 150miles to get there we went for the afternoon. We found it quite easy and were waved in to the car park, we found a disabled space as I’m a wheelchair user. Parked up, I could tell the car park was very new but well laid out, all new concrete paths and a big new ‘Hanger 1’ we followed the flow of people down to the doors, a man asks to look in my bag and says ‘I can go in’, then a lady takes my papers and scans the bar code, didn’t look at my I.D. Just says ‘thank you’ and we are in. We are given a revised itinerary & find we have almost 1hr before it starts. We pop to the shop and then look for the list of names of people on the tail of the Red Arrow, I find my name and see the art work that had been unveiled in the morning and so we chose to go and look round the museum.
We look around Hanger 1 very interesting but strange life size cutouts of difference RAF people? Big Yellow Sea King, a Red Arrow Gnat, engines and a lot of RAF head gear, then a new section on the Future F-35 Lightening. Out in to day light to look a two RAF Rescue launches, then over to Hangers 3,4&5 it well laid out, plenty of room the floors are new gloss paint and there is a small low string blocking of the exhibits, IF YOU HAVE POOR SIGHT IT WILL BE ALMOST INVISIBLE. Plenty to see and do if you are able. We found it very informative, looking at actual aircraft in full size. ( I’ve never seen a Lancaster, Phantom, Hunter or Flying Fortress for real)
FAULT: new floor has a swirly pattern in it which can help with grip, however the sight tilt/ramp in front of the Lancaster is indistinguishable from the rest of the floor so can & will catch people out.??????
As it was a Sunday all the cafe & restaurants closed within 1hr of us getting there? Not a good idea.
I didn’t see anything about RAF transport i.e Hercules or Chinooks?
Not sure if we will return sadly.

1  Thank Tazzimoko