“Early dinner”

Chai Thali
Ranked #7 602 of 24 683 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Neighbourhood: Camden
Description: Chai Thali is an Indian Restaurant and Street food bar in Camden. It presents wide range of Traditional Indian food and Cocktails with a modern twist.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

So my first time trying this place, it’s tucked away in a quiet street. The first think I noticed was the amazing spa like incense smell when I walked in, staff were very friendly and the decor was quirky but still kept to the Indian streets vibe. We had for starters - Papdi chaat (this was a cold starter) Amritsari fish which was lovely but found it a bit expensive for the quantity received. Mains - Lamb kebabs ( it was so moist it melted in your mouth it’s a must ) Makhi Dhall - (wow not your regular dhall it was dark brown lentils, so creamy and flavourful, we had it with kulcha naan perfect - wholly vegetarian this choice) Hyderabadi dum briyani - ( I am a bit of a briyani fanatic, so this got 8/10 for me, it was comforting, I would definitely order it again, maybe not the chicken but lamb instead ) Pudding - Not a big desert fan especially when it comes to an Indian restaurant as I find it extremely sweet, so we decided to have a warm chai ☕️(now this was the cherry on the cake, it just brought the whole meal together warm, slight hint of spices, milky and strong enough to hit the spot) I will definitely recommend to give it try, but I would recommend to book an earlier table to enjoy a relaxed meal especially if it’s your first time, as it’s quite popular amongst locals and gets busyLast note I think it will be a good idea if the waiters/waitress could give some recommendations to give that extra touch

Reviewed 25 March 2018

I visited here with an Indian friend of mine yesterday evening, and having recently returned from a trip around India I wanted some authentic tasting food. I was not disappointed.

I am unsure why there are so many negative reviews, as we could not fault anything; the staff were friendly and attentive, the food portions were great in size (we ordered a couple of starters (Murg Tiranga Tikka & Punjabi Samosas). The starter portions were quite small, but no point in ruining the main course! My friend did comment that her chicken was a little on the dry side, but overall the flavour was fantastic!

For the mains we ordered Goa Jheenga Masala & Subzi aur paneer ki biryani. I found the flavouring very similar to a dish I had recently tried in India; very rich and flavourful, and left me wanting more despite being incredibly full.

I will absolutely return with friends. I live nearby so I am glad that I found Chai Thali!

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Ce n'est pas la première fois et surement pas la dernière que nous reserverons une table dans ce restaurant. Un peu à l'écart de la foule de Camden il est a découvrir.
Notre dernière visite fut un délice, notre serveuse Yasmin ayant fortement participé à cela. Tout le menu est a essayé sans regret.

We've been there a few times but never written any reviews before. This place is a real gem hidden in Camden. Last time we went, the food was as enjoyable as usual, our friendly waitress Yasmin was attentative and helpful, she didn't rush us when we decided to order starters and mains with time in between. Prawns, massala wedges, palak paneer and Bhai's lamb were a delight. We'll be back again for sure.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

We went to this restaurant for my wife's Birthday as a family, but had a very bad experience with the food they served.
All the dishes we ordered were poorly prepared and lacked in taste & substance and had to leave most of the food unfinished.
The passion fruit juice was not fresh as requested but served out of a carton.
You would find better quality Indian street food elsewhere like Wembley or other food outlets for a fraction of the price.
As a family we were all very disappointed with the whole experience and will definitely not go there again.

1  Thank yogidoshi4
Ajay_Chai_Thali, General Manager at Chai Thali, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We’d like to look into the issues raised. Can you kindly email us at info@chaithali.com with your contact details and our management team will be in touch to discuss further. Thanks.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Have emailed them as well as messages through Facebook however they didn’t bothered acknowledging or replying. Chai Thali, don’t even bother responding to this review.

C: Costly Water over £4
H: Horrendous food-reheated & not fresh.
A: Appalling- customer service
I: Infection- Dilli Ke Kebab
T: Terrible
H: Horrible for family with infants
A: ‘Amazing’ branding
L: Lost in their over confidence
I: Intelligent in fooling customers

Few things:

1) Don’t give a defensive statement as soon as someone enters your restaurant and hasn’t even taken their seat yet. We were told, “You have to order everything now” and the other day, “you have to vacate in one hour”.

2) If you didn’t have water then why was the restaurant open? I don’t mind paying for the bottle of water but this is your legal requirement to provide tap water. If you are unable to do so then don’t charge for Water.

3) No indication that toilets are not working.

4) You have not given any thoughts of Baby changing room. What would a family with an infant do if their child needs a nappy change?

5) Your Dili ke Kebab and Aaloo Tikki were so bad. It was not FRESH.

6) If you had to close the kitchen then someone should have come on the table and taken the dessert order but of course you don’t regard that as important.

I do appreciate that some of the foods are pre prepared but I’m sure it’s not a day or two old. Horrible experience especially when you bring someone along hearing good reviews about you.

Thanks for the experience!