“Rave reviews, but different in person!”
Review of Sakagura

Sakagura
Reserve with OpenTable
Sakagura is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 162 of 24 997 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: Based on the old style drinking houses of Japan known as izakayas. A place to unwind and relax in the company of great food, drink and friends. Serving casual authentic izakaya style food from Japan, our menu is designed to be shared with the table. Our small bites range from fresh sushi and sashimi to light crispy tempura and hot charcoal grilled robata skewers. Larger plates include salmon and vegetable poke bowls, assorted donburi rice bowls, and gozen bento sets served in a traditional kaiseki tray with steamed white koshihikari rice, wafu salada, tofu and wakame miso soup. Sake is king at Sakagura, choose from a wide selection of sake from some of the best artisan breweries in Japan or get fruity with our unique range of Japanese inspired sake cocktails. We also have a great selection of virgin cocktails and soft drinks.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Wanted to try Sakagura as it kept showing up on Instagram and Facebook adverts, and I think it was also recommended by Japan Centre. Went here on a warm, sunny evening, and found it to be very quiet - which I thought would be great in terms of service. Unfortunately not the case, and we waited almost 25 minutes before someone took a food order. Our drinks sat at the bar for about 15 minutes whilst the bartender continuously quietly mumbled “おねがいします/onegaishimasu/service please” until someone bothered to bring them to the table. There were probably about 6/7 wait staff and about 3 tables with people sitting at them when we first arrived, so why it took so long is a mystery! As a couple, we ordered the BBQ set, which was recommended as “too much food for one person but perfect for two people” and we were happy to pay extra to have Wagyu steak in the set. The set is supposed to come with rice, salad and miso soup, and despite informing the waitress that we both wanted to share the BBQ set, only one lot of these was brought out, and we had to pay extra for a second lot, which just seemed a bit odd. Surely this would be mentioned at time of ordering? The BBQ set includes an ice cream dessert - you can choose four flavours, but you only get one scoop, served to you in a large glass bowl which makes the scoop look tiny! If you order it from the menu separately, you get two small scoops for £7. How generous. We chose the Sake Vanilla flavour - advice, do not choose, it’s gross. I probably wouldn’t come back - service was so slow, and the staff all seemed confused and disorientated. Also, the BBQ menu should be more specific about how to order and how many people it can serve - I can’t see one person happily paying £50 to have it solo!

3  Thank delilahlioneye

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

This was my first time at this restaurant. The uni was great as was the agadashi tofu and the soft shell crab. We also ordered an assortment of rolls from their special rolls which were all good.
The restaurant is pleasant in terms of space. Service was good but not great.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

Great location in the heart of London. Friendly, helpful staff. Comfortable environment for a meal. Plenty of choice all fresh and tasty. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Heddon Street is a gem in London, an enclave away from the busyness of the Touristy areas, ideal location
From the traditional Japanese welcome, where all staff shout a welcome/hello in Nihon, to the goodbye, the experience was welcoming & friendly. Staff were attentive, just the correct amount of attention. Although the restaurant was relatively quiet, as it was lunch, there was still a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Lighting and space was ambient, nice open plan kitchen area was visually stimulating.
Great choice of foods and drinks
Pleasantly surprised on how reasonably priced the food is
12.5% service charge - don't mind paying, a service outstanding
OK, I am not a foodie, my partner is
However, having spent 1.5 yrs in Japan, my partner spending 5 years and having a love for all things Japanese, especially Onsen, even I enjoyed the food
Unfiltered sake amazing! Best i have had since leaving Japan > 12/10
Food > generous portions, bright & vibrant colours, smell was wow, taste, refined
BBQ > definitely a must, would have fed 2 of us. Rarely a meat eater, it was a treat. Ox tongue exquisite, tender and tasty. Squid & beef also great. I could have eaten a bowl of the sauces and Wasabi brought a warmth to the palate. Overall 11/10
Dom Buri > largest size I have eaten in the UK. As much colour in the bowl as colours in an organic veggie market. Sticky rice was wonderful, egg, beans and other veg crisp, fresh, tasty. 12/10
No rush to leave, staff great again
We could not manage all the food, so took some away. Our 5 yr old devoured the remains @ home to want more
My partner asked if we would return = YES
Haven't tried the restaurant @ night, imagine it would be as good.
Arigatou!

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

We were craving some sushi, and found this place online and booked a table for dinner. It looked reasonably priced for the Mayfair area.

We ordered the spicy tuna maki and soft shelled crab. Both were very good. My husband had a flight of sake with them. We also ordered a bottle of red wine. We also had the chefs sashimi plate. It was delicious, very fresh and tender and perfectly cut.

We also ordered Ishiyaki stone ribeye steak. The stone comes pre-heated to 400 degrees and you cook your steak on the stone. I’ve never done it before, but would do it again. The Rib eye steaks were very tender and flavourful.

I would have given it 5 stars based on the food, but the service drops it a star. Once we got the steaks, our server couldn’t be found. We couldn’t even get our bill at the end. We were not the only ones with this problem either.

1  Thank MsBuckhorn