“traditional pub”

Ranked #793 of 1 059 Quick Bites in London
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Reviewed 28 June 2018

cheaper beer than most of the pubs around. can be quite noisy and busy on weekends but good place to drink. Have a decent selection and the nibbles are not bad.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 29 November 2017

I would not be overly critical of this pub which might be described as 'traditional London style'. I had good service and felt is had a welconming atmosphere here on the south bank, near to Southwark underground and not far from London Bridge. It has a good range of beers, reasaonable decor and a good menu of dishes are very reasonble prices for this location. It is possible to sit outside if temperatures permit. I would not select it for a 'fine dining' experience but for a local pub, it does the job.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Good choice of beers and food is quite good and varied. Decor is a little dated and the courtyard is only suitable for smokers as it is a bit grimy. Used to have a Thai kitchen attached but does not now. Handy spot for a drink and quick light lunch.......

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 1 April 2017

I have been a customer of the Rose & Crown since 1985. Today I asked a young barmaid for a Lite Ale & Bitter a traditional London drink, and especially in this part of South London. The young barmaid was nice and politely said she did not know what this drink was. My reaction was to order a more familiar drink such as a pint of Heineken, which was duly served.

Whilst I was drinking this lager I conversed with the bar manageress and politely explained I have been a customer of this bar for over 30 years. I also mentioned it was the first time the bar staff did not know how to pour a Light & Bitter. The bar manageress showed absolutely no interest and no concern in promoting the establishment or any respect after buying alcohol from that bar over a 30 year period.

I decided to explain what a Lite and Bitter was to another young barmaid who was very aloof and not customer orientated in the slightest. In fact her whole attitude was repulsive and unforgiving. After she served me. under my guidance a half pint of bitter in a half pint glass, along with a bottle of Pale Ale with no glass. I explained a pint glass was required, which seemed to take her aback as she did not posses the necessary skill set to pour a half pint into a pint glass. I was then charged 6 pound and 20p. The barmaid and bar manageress were both completely irresponsible and showed utter contempt towards myself and all those years I had been a past customer of the Rose & Crown.

I then went to the Lord Clyde a stones throw from the Rose & Crown and was served pleasingly with a Lite & Bitter, exact same brand of bitter and light ale for 4 pounds and 20 pence.

I cannot tolerate the service I experienced in the Rose & Crown earlier this evening and shall be escalating my experience and complaint.

Date of visit: March 2017
5  Thank Ewan H
Reviewed 20 November 2016

I looked at giving it a 3 but then i realised, we choose to go here for team lunches because the food is decent pub grub, the prices are low and the staff are friendly...

that's worth a 4.