“Great new bouldering facilty in Leicester!”
Review of Ape Index

Ape Index
Ranked #55 of 121 things to do in Leicester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

Great new bouldering facilty in Leicester!
Run by a really nice guy with a sense of humour who has obviously put his heart + soul into creating a challenging wall that he understandably loves + takes pride in. That's no surprise really as he's scrubbed the floor, repaired the building, designed the venue, built the wall, set 70 routes, done the marketing + was standing behind reception when we arrived (albeit dragging a planer over some new home-made plywood holds)!
This place ain't shiny but has the feel of the loft/basement of an elite climber where he + his mates hang out, train + dream. Nigel (the owner, builder, route setter and receptionist) was helpful, polite + chatty showing us routes we hadn't discovered yet, moves we should try + grades we can only aspire to.
Gradings seemed realistic although the very low grades weren't so easy and there seemed to be a lot of pinches + long reach moves (at least in most of the routes I was able to try in 90mins) so I'm waiting to see how my little 8 year old daughter fares. Nigel has his own numbering system (based on the Ninja apparatus gradings, from an easy 1 up to an evil 10) alongside the more familiar Bouldering V Grade and French Sports Grade but as the gym rules state "if you understand how unrealistic these comparisons are then you don't need them" (paraphrased, sorry). The wall tops out at the maximum allowed 4.5mtrs with varying degrees of overhang but no cave and there are deliberately no usable arrets. The mat is new + VERY firm but he has additional soft mats that you can drag around with you if you're working on a problem that pushes your limits near the top.
There's also a side room with custom-built endurance testing boards, campus boards, rings, etc and a partially finished kids' "Hard Play Area" (as opposed to Soft Play) as well as the tempting Ninja Warrior training obstacles which require an hour's induction before use.
The planned Phase 3 includes the construction of a mezzanine to house a future café / canteen. Phases 4, 5, 6 + 7 are eagerly anticipated, whatever they are, but don't hold your breath...this whole project is a one man operation + that man still has a lot to do to make his complete dream become reality.
Entry price was mid-range for what we usually pay to climb indoors locally but a "12 visits for the price of 10" offer and 3 month or 12 month membership option makes it more affordable as a regular activity. However, having looked at the website after we left, Nigel now owes me £1.50 as my son is under 18 but paid full price this evening. Chances are though it will probably end up in his honesty box for coffee when we next return anyway
This exciting new climbing gym needs customers + it's biggest plus for us is it's location so we shall be back, hopefully we'll see you all there!

2  Thank TeeKayeWun
"rightly"
"children"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 3 June 2016 via mobile

I went for the ninja competition and I loved it, they're has been a lot of hard work put in to make obstacles to replicate the ones on ninja warriors and sasuke. I will definitely be going again soon to play despite being over an hours drive away from me

1  Thank Adam J
Reviewed 1 June 2016

If you want a taste of obstacle course racing or ninja warrior training without signing up for the real thing or a race, then this is the place to go! Play for an hour or spend half a day there, it is definitely worth a trip. Located on a small trading estate not far from Fosse Retail Park it is in easy reach of lots of other great things to see and do (National Space Centre, Abbey Pumping Station, etc.). It is all indoors, so completely independent of weather conditions outside.
I have been several times now and this was the second time we went as a family, extremely helpful and family friendly. The children loved it and can't wait to go back. It is set up to suit all sorts of abilities and we also follow their Facebook page for upcoming events.
There is already a great range of OCR and ninja warrior obstacles there and a grip strength training section in the back room, but the massive bouldering wall is going up right now and we can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Alix A
Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

I love Ape Index, I've travelled from Nottingham a number of times now to play on the obstacles and take part in competitions and training days. Even if you're not into Ninja Warrior you'll have a great time. You can really tell A lot of thought, time and effort has been put in to make your experience as epic as possible and admission is really reasonable. I can't wait until the climbing wall is finished! I will be back as soon as I have recovered from my last visit.

1  Thank PaulDawn1984
See more reviews
Reviewed 31 May 2016

We've been to Ninja Nige's Ape Index gym twice now; one in March and one in May. And we will be going back again. And again. And again. Despite living an hour and a half away. I don't have the interest in parkour so developing my ninja skills for all around fitness was limited to gymnastics club (expensive) and playing in playground (great but lots of children around who rightly take priority!) as everywhere else was just parkour gyms. Having a proper ninja gym which caters to all ages, all levels and all areas of ability (balance, upper body strength, leg strength/bounciness etc.) and also provides such a huge range of obstacles makes for much fun. I have anxiety disorders and hate being away from home but if it's to make a trip to Leicester for a weekend training at Ape Index, I don't have a problem. Love it and recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank Laura D