All reviews cream tea drawing room bridal suite beautiful hotel wedding venue roaring log fire wedding breakfast scones a lake view room afternoon tea public rooms fine dining course meal stunning views sister hotel lake district reception area
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We have spent 3 amazing days here on the ‘Gourmet Getaway’ package.

The food is truly outstanding, from the 7 course taster menu to the superb breakfast, cooked freshly to order. Afternoon tea is just unbelievable ..... a massive array of delicious savouries and beautiful cakes and possets, superbly presented.

The staff are just the most pleasant and helpful people, and can’t do enough to make your stay memorable.

The hotel is set in stunning gardens with spectacular views of lake Windermere.
You really could not wish for more!

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I was married on the 5th May this year and we held our wedding reception at the Merewood Hotel. My husband and I live locally and we have always wanted to have our wedding here, long before we even got engaged, so when we started the wedding planning, the Merewood was our first (and last!) port of call. From the first show around, to finalising the itinerary and helping with last-minute guest changes up to the day before, Helen and Rob were absolutely brilliant and helped to keep my stress levels to a minimum, Helen especially couldn’t have been more accommodating and I am so grateful.

The venue is blessed with stunning views of Lake Windermere and the Lakeland fells with the added bonus of highland cows to greet you as you first arrive and make your way up the drive. The hotel itself was large enough to hold our 100 daytime guests and 150+ guests in the evening whilst still maintaining a rustic charm, with a beautiful main room and quaint smaller rooms (the Library and the Drawing Room). The bridal suite is gorgeous and boasts unbelievable views of the lake and surrounding areas through its large bay windows, waking up there was truly a pleasure that my husband and I would happily repeat on a daily basis.

As for the day itself, the staff were absolutely amazing from serving breakfast to myself and my bridesmaids in the bridal suite, to calming my nerves and making sure the guests left the hotel on time, to the delicious food and MCing the whole day – it went without a hitch (or without me knowing if there was a hitch anyway). I have been inundated with compliments from all of the guests who attended on the beauty of the venue, the staff and the quality of the food. I want to say a massive thank you to the whole team, you are superstars! My wedding day was absolutely perfect and I can’t thank you all enough. I would not hesitate to recommend the Merewood to anyone looking for a wedding venue.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Lovely setting and beautiful arts and crafts building. Food was superb. We ate in the grill restaurant. Staff very friendly and attentive. Location is good as it is just outside Windermere so it was easy to get to other places in the lakes

Room tip: We stayed in a classic room which had been renovated. Comfortable large sized bed!
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Everything need was in our room and added little extras. Bed extremely comfortable. Staff were amazingly helpful. The view from the hotel and gardens was great. I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

Room tip: Next time we would book a lake view.
Reviewed 23 June 2018

Lovely location. Beautiful well kept grounds. Polite efficient staff. The room was spotless well decorated-the view not great as it was at the back of the building. Great views from the dining area and lounges. Food was excellent both breakfast and fine dining.

Room tip: Ask for a room at the front of the building.