“A Promising Restuarant that failed to Deliver”

Blue Smoke on the Bay
Ranked #42 of 80 Restaurants in Windermere
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Description: Blue Smoke on the Bay is a unique dining experience in the Lake District, serving wood-smoked food from our unique 3 metre grill.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have a great affection for the Low Wood Bay Hotel and the wonderful staff from our previous stays at the hotel. So, when we spotted the new development at the establishment, we were keen to try out the Blue Smoke restaurant with its charcoal grills and stunning location. Sadly, we were disappointed with the quality of the ribs we had for starters, which were over cooked and my wife’s main dish - leg of lamb which was tough and lacked taste. This was not something we expected with the impressive cooking facilities we saw in place and no doubt top chefs in attendance. It’s not enough to just have these fine dining facilities, it’s attention to detail and the quality of the food being served that is so important to generate repeat business. The manager was kind enough not to charge us for the lamb and we left somewhat deflated after what should have been a superb meal.

AlarAllik, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Smoke on the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Terry G

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review of your recent visit. I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience in Blue Smoke on the Bay, especially considering your affection for the hotel and the wonderful previous stays you have previously enjoyed.

I will review your feedback in detail with Tyrone, Head Chef and from this I hope we are able to learn and develop to make positive changes which will ensure that the disappointment you have experienced does not occur again. I completely agree that attention to detail is what makes a business stand out to their guests and it appears that certainly on your visit we didn't quite get this right. I can assure you that when we get things wrong we do take time to genuinely learn from this.

Gaining repeat business is very important to us, I hope you will give us the chance to prove that we have taken on board your comments and visit us again in the near future.

Thank you once again for such a constructive review.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Food cooked on wood fire - something very different, very tasty, beautifully presented, attentive and friendly staff

AlarAllik, Deputy General Manager at Blue Smoke on the Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear travellerimdjr

Thanks for your review, the wood fire grill is unique and we are very proud to be able to offer something different at Blue Smoke on the Bay. I am pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had dinner at Blue Smoke when staying at Low Wood Bay for the weekend. We shared the goats cheese bruschetta to start and the staff were more than happy to accommodate making this without the anchovies. We then had halloumi burgers for mains which were gorgeous (as were the chips and slaw) but so huge neither of us could finish despite us having big appetites. The burgers still would've been plenty with one block of halloumi as opposed to two, if anyone from Blue Smoke is reading! The drinks were also good and we couldn't fault the service. The restaurant itself is also beautiful with lovely views of the lake. Would definitely return.

Dear Georgia M

Thanks for the great review, I am pleased the team were able to accommodate your request and that you couldn't fault the service. I have passed your feedback onto Tyrone, Head Chef with regards to the Halloumi and he will adjust this. I am so pleased that you plan to resturn and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

First the positives, this is a smart looking restaurant, the kitchen area looked impressive, the outside seating area was good and as the restaurant is located on the bay, the views are awesome.

Now for the negatives:

Slow service - we were sat for a good 15-20 mins with no one acknowledging us.

Poor service - Our waitress was very to the point and didn't run through the menu (the table next to us had a different waitress and she was very attentive and spent time explaining the menu)

the food - We had the rib of beef and the rib eye steak, both were dry, bland and pretty much tasteless. Rib eye steaks should be marbled, juicy and full of flavour, it was none of those.

I rarely leave reviews but in this case felt compelled to. I understand this is a relatively new restaurant so hopefully for future guests sake it will improve.

Dear JTP1999

Thank you for your review, it was great to read that you thought the restaurant and kitchen looked impressive and that you enjoyed the views from the terrace. I was however sorry to read that you did not receive great service, we are usually very proud of our service standards and I will ensure that these are looked into and re-training provided.

With regards to the food I have highlighted your review to chef and he has taken on board your comments. We have introduced a new menu this week which I am sure will have a positive impact with our guest feedback. I do hope you give us the chance to demonstrate to you our usual high standards and visit us again.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

When we arrived after booking we were not on the system however, luckily they squeezed us in on a busy bank holiday sunday. Food was great. I had chicken and my partner steak. With three sides of petit pois, cheesy mac and chips we had loads of food and all great quality. Lovely decor. Well done Lowood for the revamp. Defo going again. Not easy finding good food these days but this was very good. Mojitos were also fantastic.

Dear jessieleeLeeds

Thank you for taking the time to post a rewarding review about your recent visit to Blue Smoke on the Bay. It was great to read that you enjoyed the food, the décor and the recent resort renovations. I do completely agree that the mojito's are fantastic. We are looking forward to welcoming you to Blue Smoke on the Bay and the hotel again in the future.