“Excellent in every way”
Review of Cedar Manor

Cedar Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Cedar Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 84 Restaurants in Windermere
Price range: US$44 - US$57
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: First built in 1854 as a private country retreat and housing an unmissable 200 year old cedar tree in its grounds, tradition and a sense of place are important to both the look and the food at The Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant. You will find Cedar Manor offers a seasonally changing a la carte and table d'hote menu of classic British food on which all produce is sourced from providers based in the surrounding Lake District. Open to guests and non-residents, one might want to relax with a book in the cosy hotel bar before taking a seat in the restaurant which has been awarded an AA Rosette for Fine Dining.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Great food, great service, friendly staff and a charming atmosphere. There were nice little extras included with the meal. The cost of a meal is a little above average I would say but you get what you pay for so it's woth it.

Date of visit: November 2018
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you very much for reviewing. We are delighted with your feedback and hope to see you again on a future visit to the Lakes.
Best wishes

Reviewed 4 November 2018

I've left it a couple of months to mull over our evening at the Cedar Manor restaurant, but having experienced a similarly disappointing evening at a "fine dining" establishment in London recently, which had equally "stellar" reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided eventually to leave this review.

I might have overlooked the slightly strange ambience of our being relegated to a dark, solitary corner of the lower area of the dining room, had it not been for the poor offerings from the kitchen - pork with plain pasta and cherries on a bed of kale? Fish with mango?

Possibly the least balanced food my wife and I have experienced in all of our extensive dining across the world.

Unless the usual chef was having the evening off I simply cannot understand the five star ratings based on what we were served.

Having re-read the few previous reviews that were less than favourable, I'm sure that the owners will have plenty of their own to say about my comments, but I can only caution any prospective diners to take a careful look at the menu for themselves before deciding on a booking.

Happily this didn't spoil what was otherwise a wonderful short break in the Lake District.

Date of visit: September 2018
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your meal at Cedar Manor. We are of course disappointed with your feedback and can honestly say we are surprised. We have a very experienced kitchen team who will be equally surprised with your comments.
We think that we should just conclude by saying that it's quite obvious that our food was just "not for you" and as you also say we have many stellar reviews from guests who have had a lovely evening in our restaurant.
I would also suggest to any diners thinking about booking that you should look at our menu and make sure it is right for you, although not overly adventurous we do enjoy modern British cooking with influences from around the world.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Best regards

Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

Just returned from one of the best meals we've had for ages! The whole experience was fabulous.
Firstly, the lounge area is comfortable and relaxed, a lovely place to wait and have nibbles (which were varied and plentiful- only 1 thing I couldn't eat because of dairy intolerance)
Drinks- the cocktail menu is short but varied and the wine menu has an excellent selection from reasonable to pricey, new world and old.
Starters- a few to choose from for dairy free. I had the grilled squid which was perhaps the best thing I've ever eaten. My husband had the Caesar salad croquettes that he really enjoyed.
Mains- my dairy free lamb with a date sauce and lots of well prepared veg (really generous portion) was gorgeous. My husband had a chicken skewer which he also enjoyed, he said the sauce was really tasty (although think he was jealous of my lamb)
I had a dairy free DESSERT! It's unheard of, apart from 'fruit and sorbet' choice, most places don't even have that. I had crumble with coconut vanilla ice cream, it was really nice, apart from the pink peppercorns threw me a bit and I'm not sure if I liked them.
Finally, the service was excellent, not at all stuffy but still really professional as you would expect in fine dining.
Overall, 5 out of 5. Will definitely be returning as soon as possible. I only hope the squid is still on the menu.

Reviewed 14 October 2018

On our first night in Windermere we opted to eat at the hotel we were staying at. What a good choice. Fabulous homemade bread. Delicious starters and great main course. Too full for a dessert! Great service and a very friendly atmosphere. Apparently many non-residents eat here. Would highly recommend

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Stuart M
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2018

Thank you very much for reviewing your dinner at Cedar Manor. We are delighted that you opted to stay in for dinner. We do work hard to make all our own breads, soups, starters, mains and desserts sourcing local produce where possible and staying seasonal. A fabulous new menu is just launching and we hope that many guests and non-resident diners will enjoy it over the winter months.
We look forward to seeing you both again on your next visit to the Lakes.
Best wishes

Reviewed 9 October 2018

We try and go this restaurant every time we visit the Lakes as it is a favourite for us. And so much better than Miller Howe (or it was last time we visited MH). The host is very friendly and courteous, and the food is delicious with little extras that make the evening such a joy. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank rabandted
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent dinner at Cedar Manor. We are delighted that you keep returning and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Lakes.
best wishes