“A wonderful celebration”
Review of Cedar Manor

Cedar Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Cedar Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 84 Restaurants in Windermere
Price range: US$45 - US$58
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: First built in 1854 as a private country retreat and housing an unmissable 200 year old cedar tree in its grounds, tradition and a sense of place are important to both the look and the food at The Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant. You will find Cedar Manor offers a seasonally changing a la carte and table d'hote menu of classic British food on which all produce is sourced from providers based in the surrounding Lake District. Open to guests and non-residents, one might want to relax with a book in the cosy hotel bar before taking a seat in the restaurant which has been awarded an AA Rosette for Fine Dining.
Reviewed 14 May 2018

Our trip to Cedar Manor was part of our honeymoon in the Lake District, and it truly made for a special meal. We were well looked after. and all of the food was excellent, perfectly cooked, and just the right amount. We enjoyed it so much that we returned on the last night of our trip, which was just as enjoyable. Thank you to the staff for making it such an enjoyable and memorable evening for me and my wife!

1  Thank Alice P
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Thank you very much for choosing Cedar Manor for your special meals whilst in the Lakes. Congratulations by the way!
It was lovely to see you both again on the last night of your stay and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

I will start with the positives. The hotel and restaurant are very well presented, a lovely place to be in. We were initially showed through to a lovely lounge area for drinks and nibbles. We ordered and went through to the dining room. The water who was looking after us was lovely, very helpful and very good at his job. I had previously told them it was my husbands birthday and they had made an effort with decorations on the table which was a nice touch. The starters were lovely, but when the main course came my husbands food was tepid at best. There was only us and anther couple eating and they had finished their main course so it wasn't as though it was really busy and they had lots to prepare. In all the time we have been married neither of us has sent any food back but we thought we would mention it as it wasn't cheap. There was no fuss and we were asked if we would like the food replaced, which we did. I realise this was our choice but this then meant we ate completely separately as new food takes time to prepare and mine would have gone cold.
As a vegetarian I found it very limiting. There were two starters and only one main course so take it or leave it. One of the starters was aubergine and the main course was aubergine so no choice really for starters or main if aubergine is not your favourite.
I had spent ages looking at where to eat for my husbands birthday and we spent quite a bit of money as I thought it would be special but as I said I was quite disappointed.

6  Thank Helen W
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2018

We are sorry that you are disappointed with some aspects of your dinner at the Hotel. We are always pleased to receive constructive and accurate feedback so we can address any issues. There are a few accurate parts to your feedback and one or two inaccuracies that we will address in our response.
Firstly, we are sorry that your husband felt his lamb main course wasn't hot, we find it a complete mystery as to how this could have happened as we cook to order and nothing "sits" around. It comes from the pan onto the plate. Meat is always rested after cooking but never served lukewarm. As you say, we were more than happy to replace the meal and we understand that your husband was happy with the 2nd attempt. We should have removed your main and we do apologise for not getting that right. At the time there was a moment of confusion as I thought you were just eating a starter course. This was later explained to me. And this brings us nicely on to the next point.
So secondly, the vegetarian choices. There are actually 3 vegetarian starters but I understand why you say there were only 2, you have ruled one out as you don't like aubergine. And yes, we do use Aubergine in the main course too. This is where some responsibility has to be handed back to you, at no time did you advise us that you were a vegetarian. When you contacted us to book a table we asked if there were any dietary requirements or food allergies - we have a "no" from you. As a vegetarian who doesn't like aubergine and we assume you had looked at our menu prior to dining/choosing our restaurant? We are at a loss really to know how to address your complaint. I think if it was me I may have mentioned to the restaurant in advance that I didn't care for aubergine and is there another choice (yes there is but at no time did you give any indication to the waiter that you were a vegetarian or required another main course choice). Or even selected a different restaurant if I wasn't happy with the menu choices shown on the website.

We are truly sorry that you didn't think the restaurant was right for you however we do hope you choose to return in the future, our menu changes frequently, we generally only have one main course but tend to have a "back up" just in case.

With best wishes

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Visited Cedar Manor again with four friends to celebrate a ‘special’ birthday. What a lovely evening we had! We were well looked after from start to finish by Jonathan and his staff, who were very attentive and friendly. The place is beautiful and the food was amazing. I would recommend Cedar Manor to anyone wanting something that bit extra special. Thank you for making my birthday so memorable. We will be back!

3  Thank Janet S
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Thank you for choosing Cedar Manor for your special birthday. Really pleased that you had a lovely evening. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Jonathan and Caroline are absolutely fantastic hosts. We were seated in the lounge which was very relaxing and given some nibbles whilst looking at the menu. I was amazed that Jonathan gave me some gluten free nibbles and the menu was pretty much completely gluten free! I was so impressed at how much knowledge and understanding he had for people with dietary requirements. The whole evening was Wonderful, relaxed and the food was exceptional. My partner and I could not recommend this place highly enough. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank sarah t
CedarManor, Owner at Cedar Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Thank you very much for dining at Cedar Manor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us. We do try to cater for specific diets and the team has "got the hang" of gluten-free and it is so good to be able to offer 99% of the menu to you. (and any other gluten-free diners)
We look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

I booked this hotel for my mums birthday. I have booked lots of lake hotels for them but after their stay here I won’t be booking anywhere else!
From the beginning of the stay to the end nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were very friendly and accommodating, going out of their way to make my parents stay special.
The food in the restaurant was exceptional, they ate twice because the first night so good!
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff for such excellent service and making my parents stay so memorable.
My husband and I are now looking forward to staying with you.

1  Thank pwright70

Thank you very much for reviewing your parents stay at Cedar Manor. We are delighted to hear that they had a great time, especially in the restaurant. We hope to see them again and of course look forward to welcoming you and your husband.