All reviews herdwick room front bar chateaubriand overlooking the square queens hotel no air con dog friendly hotel lovely hotel evening meal high standard booked a table hotel restaurant town square every member of staff parking permit third floor both nights
Reviewed 23 June 2018

I was very disappointed with my our stay here. We had been travelling around the area and paid extra to stay in this hotel because it had the lift and it was our last night and we were splashing out. We would not have booked the hotel without the lift as I have recently had a two knee replacements and can’t manage stairs.

On arrival the lift was broken and we were given a room on the 2nd floor. We had to carry all our bags up 3 flights of stairs from carpark to 2nd floor. There was no offer of assistance. I asked to be moved to a lower floor as I couldn’t manage all the stairs. They agreed to move us to the 1st floor and advised us that we didn’t need to worry about moving our bags. They would sort that out.

When we arrived back 2 hours later the bags were still not in the room. I tried to call down to reception but the phone was not working. I ended up having to walk down the stairs yet again to ask about the bags. The receptionist was helpful. She came up and checked the phone and left a land line number in case I need anything.

There were a lot of issues with the room. The sink wasn’t working. The room was too bright to sleep in. There is a gap under the door and the light just outside the room reflected off the metal panel across the door and bounced into the room like a spot light in my face all night.

After a bad nights sleep due to the brightness I was woken up at 7am with the sound of running water that sounded like it was flooding into our room. Every time someone on the next floor ran the tap or had a shower we had the loud running water sound right above the door of our room. This was not just coming from 1 room as it continued on all morning. I find it extremely difficult to believe that nobody else has complained about this as it was so loud. It went on so long and so often I even took a recording of the noise to let the reception hear it.

This is a very nice hotel and had everything been ok we were happy to pay the €195 for our 1 night stay. However all of these things made for a very unpleasant stay. I understand that it is not the hotels fault that the lift was broken but it is not our fault either and we paid for a 4 star luxury hotel with a lift. At the time of checkout I requested a partial refund due to the issues that ruined our visit. I was advised that the GM was the only person that could authorize this and they would get him to contact us when he got back into the office.

He got in touch, apologised and offered a free nights stay in the future. He would have been aware that we were overseas visitors so would not be in a position to take him up on this offer. He has not offered any redress This is very dissapointing.

Room Tip: Don’t stay in room 104
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank IrishGer
gm_innonthesquare, General Manager at Inn on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear IrishGer
Thank you for responding to me direct at the Hotel, following my follow up email to yourself. A satisfactory resolution to your issues has been offered. As I said, I am sorry that problems arose. I'm glad that you are now satisfied with the outcome

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Literally cannot recommend this hotel enough, the room we stayed in was absolutely gorgeous and perfect for out stay it’s our two Springers. Our stay included Dinner and the meal at Brossens was probably one of the best we’ve ever eaten! Can not wait to stay again

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room above the bar!
Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
gm_innonthesquare, General Manager at Inn on the Square, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Dear gbcarbs
Thanks for your feedback. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope we will see you again in the near future

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

For this trip we thought we’d treat ourself to a nice hotel to rest in between activities at the mountain festival.

The reception staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful at check in, giving us directions to the carparks close by. Unfortunately there are few hotel spaces and it costs £8 per night. The central carpark over the road is only a couple of mins away, but gets busy.

The hotel is decorated in a modern style and is light and airy. The bedroom was warm though and it’s too noisy to sleep with the windows open, we had to use a fan to cool the room.

The hotel is dog friendly which depending on your liking for dogs could be a good or bad thing.

Breakfast (salmon & toast) on the first day was served promptly and was delicious, but on the second day they had run out of salmon and the alternative we ordered was not placed with the kitchen. We had to ask where it was after people who came in after us were served.

The price per night for a basic room is excessive, but perhaps this is because of the location.

Stayed: June 2018

Dear rache3l
Thanks for posting feedback.Your comments are appreciated. I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel soon

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Can’t recommend this hotel enough if you have a dog. Really enjoyed our stay and will be back. Parking at pay and display was handy right behind it. Staff friendly. Shame breakfast doesn’t start earlier than 7:30am as I had to leave for work then. Paid for it but can’t tell you what it tastes like unfortunately.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Kellie N
Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated. Breakfast is very well received by most of our guests. It's a shame you weren't able to stay for it. However we do try to be flexible if anyone does require it earlier, so please ask in future

Reviewed 15 June 2018

Quality hotel in centre of town. Food excellent and dog friendly which made it a memorable break for my wife and I. Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting this area. One minor gripe was that the table service in the lounge could be a bit more organised. On occasion food was taken to our table without having cleared the table from our previous course. Don't let this put you off though as I'm sure that the duty manager will rectify this going forward. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms to rear, town square views to front.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear OzMill
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I was pleased to hear that you had a good time.
Hope to welcome you back again soon