Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Reviews (1 974)
1 974 results
1 189
1 189
All reviewsgreenhouse restaurantalexanders pubtasting menuexecutive roomthe main hotelhotel groundslovely groundspool and steam roomlake districtlovely hotelhotel barbreakfast staffevening mealrelaxing breakleisure facilitieshigh standardlovely view
130 - 135 of 1 974 reviews
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel on Saturday the 14th of October. The hotel is situated on a hill overlooking Kendal, with stunning views all around. The hotel staff were attentive and helpful and couldn't do enough to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible. The rooms albeit small, were nicely decorated and comfortable. The issue that made our stay a little disappointing, was the evening meal. The price suggested a very high quality of food but in reality it wasn't that great. My wife had a starter of pigeon breast that was priced at 8 pounds, what she got was the smallest portion of food I've ever seen. Half an over cooked breast, with a tiny bit of sauce. For my main course I had the lamb which came with a small pot of shepherds pie that was watery and tasted a little like school dinners. Not great when we're paying nearly £100 in total for a meal for two with wine. That said, the staff were very apologetic when I explained that I wasn't impressed with the standard. On the flip side the breakfast was one of the best I've ever had in a hotel so it certainly made up for the previous evening meal. Overall, the stay was comfortable but the price of £207 a night was highly inflated for the standard of hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

Thank you for this review and for your constructive feedback.

I'm glad that you found our staff to be so helpful and attentive and I'm sorry to learn that you didn't enjoy your evening meal on this occasion. We feel that our dishes are priced competitively and presented to a high standard compared to other hotels in the local area. We also offer traditional pub food, steaks and grills in our Alexander's bar in the hotel grounds as an alternative dining experience with larger portions.
It is pleasing however to learn how satisfied you were with our breakfast and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed for my partners 50th birthday. We were allocated a room a the back overlooking a bit of a garden but on full view of the building behind that the staff used
so immediately had to shut the blinds which left the room very dark. Pool ok steam room ok. Dined in Alexanders food great though night affected by a drunk couple with terrible language who should have been asked to leave. Breakfast not good very over cooked. Staff were fine. The waiter in alexanders was fabulous. They had a group on in the function room which was entertaining. Wouldn't return though and cost a lot of money

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen R
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that your stay wasn't a perfect one on this occasion. It is through your constructive feedback however, that we are able to improve how we do things. I'm sorry that you were disturbed by another couple during the night, unfortunately this is something that is hard for us to police but our night porters usually do a great job of keeping any disturbances to a minimum but I accept that we could of handled this situation better. I am also sorry that you felt your breakfast was overcooked. It is unusual to receive comments of this nature about our breakfast so I will share this with the chef.
I hope that you will give us another try in the future and that we can get another chance to show you why we feel we are good value for money.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Very nice frontage. Lovely Gardens but that doesn't make it a BW Premier. Reception gabbled on 19 to the dozen and half of it went over our heads.

Room was nothing special - and very noisy late at night. The shower was disgusting with black mould on the tiles and top of the shower tray

Biggest bug bear was that there was no mention at all of dietary restrictions and if it hadn't been for the lovely young man in the adjacent bar and restaurant. I would have gone hungry.

I reiterate not up to BW Premier Standards at all

Room Tip: not then we were in
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review and your feedback. I would be grateful if you could contact our Front of House Manager Gail Armstrong direct at the hotel to further discuss the issues with your bedroom and any dietary restrictions that you experienced.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

The Castle Green Hotel was a great venue to hold our wedding reception. Great location for accessibility and great surroundings (the gardens are beautiful). The whole planning experience with the Castle Green team was straightforward and stress free, communication was excellent, made for a great experience. The day itself was hosted perfectly and went to plan, the restaurant service for our wedding breakfast was first class, the food was superb. Would highly recommend!! All of our guests commented about how good an experience they had at the hotel during their stay.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank C6322HHrobl

Thank you so much for this fantastic review of your wedding day and stay. I will share your very kind comments with the team, who worked really hard to make sure your day was a perfect one. It's important that you are made to feel stress free on what is such an emotional day so I'm glad we succeeded with this. I'm sure others will find this review helpful when planning for their big day!

All the very best for the future and we look forward to being able to welcome you back for an anniversary stay in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Just a 3 night stay here. We booked a Garden Room and were allocated room 217 at the front of the hotel overlooking the well kept garden and with a view to the hills. There was a balcony which would have been nice to use in summer but had no appeal in the inclement weather this October. Would have been better to choose the bath option in hindsight. No worries. The room and en suite shower room area were spotlessly clean and fresh. Room facilities available as proffered all good quality and welcomed. The shower room was however very compact and on hindsight we would have preferred to forgo the balcony for the bath option and I assume a more spacious bathroom area. The shower itself though was excellent and toiletries of good quality. Not a large enough area after showering to towel dry and leave a dry floor even for medium built guests ,like us. The room was spacious enough for our needs and during our stay was peaceful during daytime and evening even although the hotel appeared to be very busy. So we had comfortable nights sleep in a comfy bed with good pillows and blackout curtains if drawn.
Breakfast was available either to order or on a buffet basis. The Breakfast staff were very attentive, efficient
helpful and friendly providing a first class service. Thanks. Plenty of choice available and always an enjoyable start to our day.
We lunched out on our travels around this beautiful area returning each evening to eat in Alexander's the pub/restaurant adjoining the hotel. We did not eat in the Hotel's own restaurant which we judged to be over expensive, so can make no comment on the food there. Alexander's provided good choice of pub dining in pleasant pub surroundings although we were disappointed to find there was no wood burning cosiness of a fire in a dreich October evening to sit by for a drink. However that didn't spoil our evenings.
Normally we would also eat out at nearby restaurants and we picked this hotel thinking it was a fairly easy walk into Kendal for a choice of pub, restaurants and entertainment. After driving into Kendal and back to the Hotel 4 or 5 times we realised that the walk to and from Kendal was not as easy as had been suggested in reviews. Especially the return walk which was up a gradient for over a mile. This put us off venturing out on a dark October evening night so we didn't actually walk the walk as it were. You'll have to judge for yourselves, just be wary it is not a short stroll into Kendal centre.
The Hotel is situated in a good location to see the sights of the Lakes area. We enjoyed our stay there.

Stayed: October 2017

Many thanks for this detailed account of your stay with us. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed this stay. We'd be dishonest if we told you everything is exactly how we want it to be all of the time and that's why your feedback is so important to help us improve on the little things that make a difference. I'm sure others will find your review useful and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.