“Stop for tea”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

Well we were in Coniston at the Lake and drove Into Hawkshead for a wander around and decided to look for somewhere to eat. We had our two miniature schnauzers with us so googled dog friendly places to eat Hawkshead.

Several of the pubs came up with food reviews but we popped into the Sun Inn to check we could go inside with the dogs to eat. We were told yes but they didn’t serve food until 6pm.

We went back ordered a drink then ordered some food. We had soup - cream of vegetable which was lovely and served with a huge slice of granary bread. We both also ordered rump steak with chips and a portion of onion rings.

Well what can I say it was amazing ..... my only criticism would be I asked for my steak to be medium rare and it was more medium than rare but it was still lovely and didn’t spoil my eating it. We couldnt eat all of it half the onion rings were left and I did leave some of my chips also - which were proper hand cut steak chips and were already seasoned.

We were both that impressed we have booked to go back on Thursday for Hubby’s birthday meal. This time though no starter but a pudding !

Thank you for a fantastic meal. See you again soon!

Reviewed 22 May 2018

We visited on a Sunday lunch time and enjoyed the sharing platter with a variety of cheeses and meats accompanied by pate's, newly baked bread etc. Very good value for money, friendly staff and good location on a sunny day.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Having visited many times before on previous stays in Hawkshead, I was looking forward to our meal. We both went for the steak burger, although we had to order at the bar. Some tables seemed to come with table service, & some not. It seemed rather hit & miss.

The main course was fine. I would have preferred proper hand-cut chips, rather than the tasteless ready prepared ones, but the burgers were good.

Our plates were cleared, & we asked for more drinks, & the dessert menu. The menu came, but not the drinks, & after 15 minutes nobody had been back to take our order, so we gave up & left. A shame. We won't be back on this visit, but may try again when we next come up to stay.

suninnHawkshead, Front Office Manager at Sun Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Hello CheekyJay24,

I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your time with us. I am interested in getting this matter sorted out as quick as possible so I would appreciate it if you could send us an email to rooms@suninn.co.uk and let us know more.

We only do table service in the bar if the restaurant is closed and with it being a busy time of year our restaurant was open. There are signs within the bar area to tell customers to order food and drinks at the bar. Also with it being a busy period, when our staff are clearing plates from the tables they do not have time to go and get drinks orders and this is why we ask you to order at the bar.

I am also quite taken aback by your comment on our chips. Our chips are hand cut and we get a lot of compliments about them so I do not understand how yours were "tasteless".

I look forward to hearing from you

Gabriella
Reception manager

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Really good food, good choice, reasonably priced wine and excellent service. What more could you ask. Steaks very good and aubergine cannelloni was fantastic. If you can manage it the chocolate torte is delicious

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We stopped for lunch as we walked by, and thanks TripAdvisor for another good find! Two of us had the chicken sandwich and pronounced it the best chicken sandwich in their life. The beef sandwich was good as well. Ordered side salads but didn’t need as the sandwiches came with crisps and a small salad. The bread was fresh and the staff was quite helpful.