“Heart of Lake District, home from home.”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Green End House

Dining room
Hawkshead village
Living room
Bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Stephanie...
Hamburg, Germany
“Heart of Lake District, home from home.”
Reviewed 7 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017

We had a wonderful time at Green End House. Paul is a brilliant host, knowledgable, thoughtful and full of excellent tips. A foodie so we had a wonderful dining experience thanks to his great recommendations and experienced the best of the Lake District in the week that we were there with walks with breathtaking views, leaving us still more to do on another occasion. He is also clued up on the art scene and you have the feeling that anything you are interested in he would find a solution for.

The house is a home from home, our bedroom was generous in size and en suite. The house is in walking distance of the centre of Hawkshead and I felt it was really the heart of the Lake District.

A small detail but the week that I was there I was eating gluten-free and Paul had a range of solutions readily available so that I could still enjoy his sumptuous breakfast.

We would love to return.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Management Response
16 Aug 2017
Thanks Stephanie, it was an absolute pleasure to host your visit and I'm so pleased that I was able to help you make the most of your holiday.
Melanie D
London, United Kingdom
“Perfectly relaxing”
Reviewed 20 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

We're no strangers to the Lake District. My mother in law lives nearby, but had booked space with Paul as she didn't have enough room in the house to accommodate family coming to her daughter's wedding.

It was with some trepidation that we said we'd stay there, as I have anxiety issues around meeting strangers, but on hearing there was a dog my 10 year old made the decision for us, and we duly headed over.

I am so very glad we did. Green End House was an oasis of calm in an otherwise very busy weekend. It was the perfect refuge, and Paul is the perfect host: friendly and knowledgeable, but never intrusive. His co-host, the adorable Lola, is a characterful little Pomeranian who was quite willing to pose for our son's photos and handled his enthusiastic fuss with aplomb.

Breakfast was a delight, and Paul served a delicious gluten-free fry up that was perfect for this coeliac, setting us up for the day ahead.

I would thoroughly recommend a stay here. While we normally stay with family, I know I shall be hoping my mother in law needs extra space again, and will look forward to seeing Paul on future visits. Thank you so much!

tomwatson...
London, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 20 February 2017 for a stay in February 2017
person found this review helpful

Our stay with Paul (accompanied by his delightful Pomeranian, Lola) at Green End House was nothing short of exceptional. As our first trip to the Lake District, our visit would not have been complete without Paul's endearing nature and extensive knowledge of the surrounding landscape.

A mere ten minute walk to the idyllic village of Hawkshead, we were welcomed just before midday and guided around Paul's beautifully decorated abode. Our room was both spacious yet undeniably wholesome. Our bathroom was clean, bright and warm (towels provided). Soft bedsheets and large pillows left us fully refreshed each morning. The postcard worthy view from our window of the area's dramatic terrain warranted the visit alone! Comfort and ease for his guests are paramount for Paul; something he delivers effortlessly.

The grounds where Green End House is situated are naturally tranquil. Other than the distant sporadic baa of a Herdwick, not a sound can be heard at night. If lucky enough, as we were, to experience a clear night, the sky swarms with clusters of stars; a display alien to our smog congested London eyes.

Breakfast is one of Paul's many specialities. Fruit and yoghurt or cereal to start from the extensive breakfast bar followed by a hot Full English comprised of local produce cooked to perfection. My partner and I are avid walkers so a breakfast of this standard really sets you up for the long day ahead.

As we were travelling sans vehicle, Paul put it upon himself to drive us to some of the area's most stunning spots to start us off on the right foot. This alongside Paul's many walk tips and restaurant/ pub recommendations became invaluable during our stay. I implore you probe Paul on the best of what the lakes can offer. His knowledge is second to none.

Both Paul and Lola contributed to an incredibly memorable stay. Paul knows how to make a house a home even if only for a fleeting visit. He is not only one of the friendliest and welcoming hosts we've had the pleasure to stay with but is also incredibly humble in his work. We have already raved about our stay to family and friends and will certainly be returning to Green End House at a later date.

Thanks Paul for your kind hospitality.

Tom + Jenna

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing