“First night eveing meal”
Review of Tweedies Bar

Tweedies Bar
Ranked #16 of 48 Restaurants in Grasmere
Price range: US$0 - US$47
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Bar to Tweedies Lodge With friends, family, your trusted four-legged companion or simply a cheeky quiet pint on your own. Tweedies bar is the perfect setting for you to enjoy your chosen tipple. Whether it’s exploring our extensive range of beers, craft ales and perries (it may take you a while, there are 17 on offer), a chilled bottle of wine and two glasses watching the day close with the stunning fell’s sunset or a pre-dinner G&T served to start the evening celebrations. Whatever time of day, Alex and his pub team are here to serve you.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We had a choice to use Tweedies or the hotel dining room. Should have chosen dining room as Tweedies waqs vary basic and a bit noisy, being so close to the bar.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 735)

70 - 74 of 1 736 reviews

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent real ales. Always an interesting collection of around 7 or 8. Well kept, bat of 3 to try possible. Fine sun trap garden and warm Woodburner in the winter. Reasonable food and usually good staff.
Nowhere else in Grasmere can really compete. Not the cheapest but by far most consistent and interesting. Deserving of support. Parking.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

I had high expectations when I visited, because the place has been recommended, by several sources, but I feel that has more to do with possible kickbacks rather than quality of food or service .

First of all, once you enter the bar and lounge it's dark and I could barely read the menu and had to go over to the natural light to read it. There isn't much choice for vegetarians that don't want to eat cheese and so I opted just for a side of hand cooked chips first and would see what other dishes looked like when they came out.

The service is appalling here, you are ignored at the bar as the staff tend to serve the middle aged plus Americans who are the main patrons of the place to get tips. I was ignored twice and then told abruptly to get a table number before I could order any food. I hadn't decided on food before entering as there were no menus outside. I sent my friend out to get a table number as we wanted to sit outside while I ordered and he prepared the drinks, and even then I had to persuade him to take my order because he was reluctant to do so and wanted to serve someone else.

The service was similar to what I'd expect in a local pub in a council estate, but the prices were somewhat higher. After finally ordering I had to then had to chase someone down for a receipt as I was never given one. In this kind of place you need proof you ordered!

Anyhow a small glass of wine was £5.40 and half a pint of cider was £4! The chips arrived in a tiny metal bucket (about 3 x 4 inches) with no napkin or sauce. I asked if there was any ketchup and I was told that I would have to go inside to get it. He then saw my Paddington Bear stare and asked if he wanted me to bring some, and so I got a bottle of crusted ketchup. For £4 the chips weren't even that nice and the portion was tiny (a container about 3 x 4 inches).

TLDR: The place is over hyped, the clientele is mainly middle aged and older tourists who think they are getting authentic English food. The bar is nothing special, the service is atrocious, the prices are high (even for a tourist area), and there was little atmosphere. Yes, for £14 we got a drink each (small) and a portion or chips!

2  Thank RSC
Reviewed 23 June 2018

Four of us ate here three times in a recent stay in Grasmere so this is a composite review of each visit. For reasons your correspondent won’t go into, not my choice to dine here that many times, but sadly that’s what democracy does for you.

Ate inside and in the large and lovely garden.

We had a mix of meat, fish and veggie dishes. Overall OK but the second time one of our party had the beef, it was dry and leathery. The Asset had the pork cutlet each time and that was consistently good. But with any of the dishes, none of us was exactly over faced. No need for trousers with an elasticated waist when dining here.

Cracking selection of real ales, ciders and lagers for those who find it necessary to drink that.

You know there’s a “however” coming, don’t you. Well, there are several.

The prices here take your breath away more than the scenery does. For reasons which aren’t immediately obvious, the Lake District seems to have decided to adopt a pricing policy which makes that London look reasonable. Here, we take it a stage further e.g. £10.60 for a large glass of rather ordinary NZ Sauvignon blanc. Really? The beer ain’t cheap and neither is the food - 16 or 17 quid for bangers and mash is a joke, however you dress it up with “locally sourced” or whatever.

Then there’s the motley collection of staff. Whilst some of them did try, many gave the impression they couldn’t care less about the tourists who blatantly pay their wages. Drinks were almost thrown at you and it’s possible one of them smiled once - but I can’t be sure.

Oh, and it’s dog friendly.

1  Thank TheAsset7
Reviewed 22 June 2018

You'd think because it's a small restaurant adjacent to a pub it would be a "pub meal" (not that there is anything wrong with that), but the food was very good...and certainly exceeded our expectations. Accommodated a large party. And the beer was really good too :-)

1  Thank Matt723