“Great food! ”
Review of Lucy's on a plate

Lucy's on a plate
Ranked #22 of 129 Restaurants in Ambleside
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Description: OPENING HOURS FROM 5PM LAST ORDERS 9.30PM Lucy's on a plate has been operational now for over 25 years and offers a unique and quirky dining experience - everchanging but the ethos remaining the same - catering for a variety of different palates - especially popular for the range of gluten free dishes and delicious desserts ... over 30 desserts made on the premises from Borrowdale Sticky Banana Pudding through to Apple and Almond Eve's Pudding as well as innovative and inventive temptations such as Toffee Vodka Cheesecake and Sorbet Sparklers. Ensure you book for the evening menu and you could find yourself mentioned in dispatches-great for birthdays and special occasions - there's a lovely large table for bigger groups (up to 16) and special celebrations are most welcome. Exclusive use with bespoke menus for weddings and suchlike is also a possibility and parties are managed expertly, without destroying the romantic ambience in other parts of the restaurant. The menu is typed daily
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent food, service friendly but seemed understaffed when we visited so a bit slow at times, but would definitely visit again

Write a ReviewReviews (2 408)

109 - 113 of 2 408 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Nice restaurant, food was lovely but some staff were unpleasant, but by far my biggest gripe, the spirits were overpriced and either sunstituted with inferior brands or watered down!

2  Thank rjworth24
Lucysonaplate, Guest Relations Manager at Lucy's on a plate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Dear rjworth24
Thank you for your review and your comments - firstly I appreciate the positive comments about the food and the restaurant ...secondly the rude and unpleasant member of staff you unfortunately encountered is no longer here ... we knew who they were and I am very sorry that you had to encounter someone who behaved so badly however, your comment about the spirits being over priced and substituted with inferior brands and (god forbid) watered down is factless, untrue and just a little bit rude.
Some of the spirits (in particular) that we have on our shelves are brought back by our Eastern European staff as I like some of the more authentic drinks ... such as Vodka and some of the after dinner digestivs .. .43, local gins (Langtons, Bedrock and suchlike) as well as some more unusual stuff. I can categorically assure you that the drinks are NOT watered down ... we barely have time to pour them, let alone mess about with them ... and to be honest I'm just not that picky or petty.

If at any time you would like to come in a sample any of the drinks, or test them for their purity ... please feel free to do so. However, this will not be on a free or trial basis ... and we may even ask you to produce some ID ... so please make sure it's real ... not fake!

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We were interested to try Lucy’s & have mixed reviews. I ordered the lamb tagine, it was average, my husband got bobotie, again average. We each had a drink before the meal, I had Rhubarb surprise & my husband had Rioja. We had a bottle of wine with the meal (the guy serving us made some comment to us about screw-top wine, which felt pretentious). We were asked if we wanted to look at dessert menu & we said yes. 10 minutes later we were still sat with the menu & we had been forgotten about. I tried to catch a member of staff several times with no luck. In the end we decided to forget the desserts & made our way to the desk to pay. Overall £70 felt a bit steep for what we got.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We visited Lucy’s on a busy Saturday night and were not disappointed, the service was friendly and efficient and the food was hot and tasty, the menu choices were plentiful with some unusual dishes, well worth a try.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This restaurant is fantastic with home made food. I had the Lasagne which was amazing and my husband had the spaghetti with mussels which he thought was really good.
Also had home made raspberry trifle and wine and Irish Coffee and just over £50.
Lots of restaurants in Ambleside but mostly serving pub grub but if you wish something better thoroughly recommend here.