“Pine for an egg.”

The Duke of York
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: A Small Friendly Village pub serving Good beer and wine's along with Locally sourced homemade food, served by our small team who are all very friendly. Great value for money in lovely surroundings.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

The food was very good and the service too, if a little slow, if you need a fast lunch, however, the menu was ridgedly adhered too, and we're forced to choose between pineapple OR egg with our gamon and even though my partner did not want garden peas, we were told that pineapple and egg was out of the question, even though strangely, we were offered a small salad, instead of peas. I try my very hardest never to say no to a customer, or explain why, or tell them that you need to add a surcharge, but never say no. Moving on the food was good and the surroundings pleasant. The food was good value at 2 meals for only £12. But everything else was top dollar. 2 rounds of 1 beer and a J2o and a pot of tea, came to a few coppers short of £30.00, (no deserts), a bit steep for a quick lunch, that wasn't that quick, I felt.

2  Thank Andy E
stewart C, Owner at The Duke of York, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Hi Thank you for your review, i was your server on the lunch time you visited us and sorry if you felt the service was slow, we were very busy and were also looking after a wake in the bar area.
Our menu does mention that we are not a fast food outlet and dishes are cooked from fresh.

The 2 for £12 lunch time menu is very good value for money and changes on this menu are restricted, you asked to swop the peas for an egg, i said this isn't possible you can add an egg for a supplement. You commented your wife doesn't like peas, so i offered a salad garnish as an alternative which you seemed happy with, i would consider this as a like for like alternative.

I don't personally consider everything else in our establishment to be top dollar they are in line and with our local competitors who are supported by national brewers, we are an independent operation. Three drinks each and a good quality lunch for under £15 per head in pleasant surroundings i believe is good value.

Sorry if it wasn't everything you expected.
Kind regards
Lisa Campbell

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend recently visited before having to board our train. We ordered two all day breakfasts to see us through our journey. After 20 minutes the breakfasts finally came, the beans were like bullets and freezing cold as were the bacon and the eggs. The sausages where burnt, cheap and nasty. £25 was the overall prices for these shoddy breakfasts and two coffees. I would much rather have got a cheap pre-packed sandwich from somewhere. Avoid at all costs! I will not be returning.

5  Thank Craig B

Hi Craig B, i think you have reviewed the wrong venue, we have never served an all day breakfast and there is no train station nearby.

Kind regards
The Duke of York Skirlaugh HU11 5ET

Reviewed 22 June 2018

My husband and I thought we would try The Duke of York for a meal for our wedding anniversary. I had heard several good reports and was not disappointed. The staff were very attentive and polite. My husband had prawn cocktail to start and then we both had medium fillet steak and it was cooked to perfection. I had the summer fruits meringue stack which was delicious. We would go again and recommend the establishment.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

dropped in for lunch, excellent choice off the 2 for £12.00 menu. we both had the beer battered fish, arrived crispy and steaming from the kitchen and was fantastic.enormous portion, great chips and fish very moist. washed down with a pint of Timothy Taylors. attentive service, nothing to fault. can't comment on sweets as no room. thank you and we shall be back soon

1  Thank nick a
Reviewed 17 June 2018

Visited here numerous times the food is top notch, the prawns are to dye for not the cheap small tasteless type that most other establishments serve. Baked haddock dish is what I had recently and it was the best meal I've had in years and I eat out at least twice a week and yes the duke is a firm favourite for me and my partner, no were within a 20 mile radius touches this place for customer service, food, value for money, oh and the desserts always home made with presentation of a Michelin star restaurant. Chilled out experience with nice surroundings, fresh flowers dotted around, clean toilet facilities and lovely people, I would recommend booking.

1  Thank Lstalbot