“Needs to improve”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 March 2018

Not a great start when you're the only table (of 6) on a Friday night...we were seated on an enormous table and it made it hard to chat to everyone. The massive market style flowers on the table needed to be moved as we couldn't see each other! Terrible lift-muzic in the background. The service was attentive and the menu looked awesome, if very expensive, but I was expecting an exceptional meal and couldn't wait to get ordering. Disappointed with the 'snacks' I had - pork cheeks were tough, dry and over-cooked and the whitebait was slightly soggy and not crispy. My main of halibut looked delicious, albeit a tiny portion of fish. The presentation of the food is excellent. However the fish was overcooked and dry the side it had been cooked on was like leather, - I scraped the meat off so I didn't have to chew through the dry side. The generous portion of leak fondue was so salty I couldn't eat it. A few of my fellow diners also found their meals too salty and we informed the waiter. The mash and beans were lovely. My dessert of pineapple and sorbet was very nice however we were not given forks so it was very hard to cut without it flying all over the plate. We asked for water and were given glasses and not a jug despite everyone emptying their glasses and asking for more (possibly due to the very salty food). It's a shame, I had high expectations, the restaurant is well designed, smart and comfortable, there is plenty of parking on site and the menu looks incredible (but expensive). If it had been any good I would have returned to try everything on it. It would have been the perfect venue for special occasions or treat, but I'm sad to say I won't be returning.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

I have never written a review before but I could not believe how gross the food here was. My food was bland and burnt and the enchilada tasted of cardboard. Don't go here. I really regret paying for my meal. I've never eaten anything so tasteless and disgusting.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

I have been here a number of time in last few years this will be my last visit.
When we arrived there was a sign saying cash only I was told by waiter to take a walk to nearest cash point at Sainsbury's nearby 10min round trip!! I left my wife alone at table to get drinks while I took the walk. When I got back my wife had no drinks as she was unable to get attended at table while I was gone. This was a problem most of night as there only seemed to be two waiters for the restaurant when 4 would have been appropriate.
We had to wait a long time just to ask for water on the table something that should be in the table from the start in a Mexican
My food was good fajitas but my wife was not so sure about her enchiladas.
We were not offer a dessert menu
The menu was much reduced from our visits in previous years

We left to find a nice bar rather than stay here as it was just so hard to get service and cash only!! We had every intention before our visit to stay late have desserts and drinks such a shame. I feel this once popular Mexican in a great location my have had its day.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 12 March 2017

We hadn't been to zapatas for 18 years. Apparently it has recently changed hands and having read some older negative reviews we were hopeful it would be as good as it was 18 years ago.
We weren't disappointed! 2 teenagers, my husband and I loved it. Great atmosphere with a large private party in one half of the restaurant and full tables in the other. Friendly helpful staff , delicious food (I'd recommend the nachos which were piled high with different toppings and the chicken enchiladas) and morish cocktails. We'd definitely go back.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Apparently under new ownership since the end of 2016, but as I've not been before I've nothing to compare against.

There is a very limited menu but well cooked and flavoursome food. Especially the chicken fajitas.

Very reasonably priced, and very helpful staff.

Will return for sure!