“Awful service...marmalade with your scone?”
Review of Patisserie Valerie

Patisserie Valerie
Ranked #3 of 6 Dessert in Canterbury
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Having been gifted a voucher for afternoon tea at Patisserie Valerie I opted to go to my local branch in Canterbury. I should have realised this may have been an error as when I visited earlier in the year to make a booking I was told bookings weren’t able to be made anymore in case I didn’t turn up. I just had to visit and hope a table was free, regardless that I was unlikely to not visit considering I had a voucher....
So, the fateful day arrived and I just turned up, thankfully there was a table which my friend and I weren’t shown to, oh no, too busy, just take your pick of one of the empty tables (all of which had yet to be cleared). We were handed menus and then on production of the voucher the menus were taken from us and a drinks order taken before a chance to peruse the menu. I ordered a pot of Earl Grey tea which arrived with milk. I requested lemon which was crashed down in front of me. We also ordered two glasses of water, these came eventually after the second request 30 minutes into the tea.
Food arrived on three tiers, a plate of finger sandwiches, a plate of scones with a pot of cream and a plate of mini cakes. Plonked down in front of us with no explanation as to what any of the fillings were or what the cakes were. Thankfully neither of us had any food intolerances as we were never asked.
Sandwiches we stone cold, although not unpleasant and the scones were still warm. Some redemption came with this until we went to put jam on the scones. A possibility of four choices, however, again because they had been ‘so busy’ we were down to two choices, black currant jam, not everyone’s favourite but quite okay and the stock favourite, marmalade. I mean who doesn’t enjoy an afternoon tea with scones, cream and marmalade?
I hope that not all branches of Patiserrie Valerie are as poor,but I would steer clear of the Canterbury branch; the staff aren’t interested and the afternoon tea was, at best, average.

1  Thank Glen A

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A rather grubby member of the chain for my last two visits.
Food ok
The menu says “ask about our gluten free options “. I asked. “There are nine” said the staff.
Instead of leaving we ordered an omelette. Our gluten free person knows eggs are safe. Odd a restaurant chain doesn’t.
Not everywhere caters for this but pretty poor.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great service and lovely, presented afternoon tea,service was great by Billie,Nice sandwiches,cakes and unlimited tea,coffee and cold drinks,would definitely return here again.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed an excellent coffee/tea and seriously scrumptious cream cakes last Monday afternoon at P. Valerie in Canterbury.It wasn't to busy, because of the bad weather (Snow Forecast) for next day... on other occasions we had to wait to get a table. As this place is very popular.
Everything was freshly served and tasty, from the strong Coffee/Americano in a large cup to the big variety of cakes! The only thing I would mention it's a bit on the pricey side, but we'll worth while, if you like cream cakes♡ different varieties!

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

A very pleasant afternoon tea here. I have had nicer ones else where but the bonus to this one is that we got to take 4 slices of cake away at the end which is amazing as they are so good. Only wish they told us this before hand as we would of had them during the afternoon tea rather than some of the other bits, but overall very good and somewhere I would come back to and have again.