“Impromptu Lunch”

The Green Dragon
Ranked #22 of 356 Restaurants in St Albans
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As an old coach house that dates back to 1758, The Green Dragon became a pub several years later, steeped in history, with original features including the low beams and the fire place in the bar area. Julie has been the owner of The Green Dragon for 10 years and counting. We serve traditional home-cooked food, lunchtimes everyday, as well as evening food from Tuesday through until Saturday, and take pride in every meal thats sent out of our kitchen. We also host live music throughout the year with some fantastic bands, solo acts and acoustic live mic sets hitting the pub. A warm welcome is always received upon arrival and we hope to see you soon whether it be for food, drinks or a little bit of live music.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stopped here because the cafe was closed at Westminster Lodge (been swimming), bitter good as always, we both had Prawn sandwiches, which were crammed full & came with Chips (unexpected). we'll use it again after swimming at Westminster Lodge & its back on our Thursday lunch list of choice pubs.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Lovely olde worlde pub excellent lunch reasonably priced. Small carpark so a little difficult to park but worth it.

Julie V, Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Thank you for your lovely comments about our pub. Yes the car park can get very busy at times however there is a free car park across the road which can be used.

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Our second visit for an evening meal but this time with family. Sat in the dinning room so a little quieter than the bar which was nice as it allowed us to talk.

We all had starters and I admit to envy of my husband’s choice he has the mussels and they were piping hot and delicious and a good health portion. My son had the chicken wings which has a nice little kick to the sauce and again a health portion of 5 good sized wings. Mine was a little disappointing I opted for the breaded mushroom and I only got 5 and plain mayo rather than garlic mayo which would have been nice. I’d finished eating mine before my husband had finished de-shelling his mussels.

Mains were lovely and huge portions. My husband has the mixed grill which came fully loaded including onion rings. My sons loaded burger was fresh and tasty with a pile of chips he was sure it was meant to come with onions rings but alas none appeared (just as well we ordered a side of them) I had the scampi and the little pail it came in held more than I imagined. All came with chips which were light and fluffy. The onion rings are real onions rings and were crispy and hot.

My only slight disappointment was the Eton mess, not the traditional whipped cream, strawberries and meringue but it was ice cream and mixed fruit and no cream. However it will no deter me from going back.

Lovely pub, really friendly atmosphere and a delightful location. A clean old worlde pub with real character. Lovely staff

Julie V, Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you for your comments, we take onboard all positive and negative comments so hopefully we can improve on our dishes and menu.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Nothing appears to be too much trouble in the kitchen. As a single diner I have twice asked for the menu to be modified to suit and on both occasions was not disappointed with the friendly service good portions and well presented food.

We are glad youve enjoyed your experience both times you have dined with us. Thank you for your lovely comments.

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

Great atmosphere and the food was delicious. There is a limited but well kept selection on real ales. Real fire made for a warm and cosy reception.

1  Thank Paul B

We are glad your enjoyed your meal with us. Thank you for your lovely comments.