See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 August 2018

Stayed at The Grapes for three nights kast week. Location very good - excellent breakfast provided by The Docks next door (included in the price). My only real gripe is that despite purchasing drinks from the bar itself we were told we could not take a real glass to our room (we had to have a plastic tumbler) despite customers being able to have real glasses at the pavement tables!! I felt this was ridiculous & did sour my experience. I am a mature woman in her fifties, not some drunken student (of whom there were quite a few sat at tablesoutside) & felt that I was living in a 'nanny state' !!

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2018

I had a single room for two nights at The Grapes before a cruise. The check in was fine and the lady who checked me in was lovely and helped me with taking one of my bags up the stairs to my room. The bar itself was lively with good service and good drinks and the location made it easy to find food and get around. The room was small but clean with an ensuite that was also clean. The reason for three stars instead of four is that it is starting to show its age and some things really should be replaced; starting with the mattress. That was the lumpiest mattress I have ever had the displeasure to sleep on. I felt like I was at summer camp or something, not particularly good for a creaky back. The shower unit was also a bit of hit or miss taking quite some time to get from blistering hot to warm and then suddenly going to cool while in the shower. There were also signs of rust and needing some new sealant.

Still, if you need a budget room this will fit the bill nicely, just look out for lumps.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2017

We stayed at The Grapes for one night on a Saturday evening. The room was clean and a good size, and the bed was very comfortable. There is some noise from the street up until approx midnight, but this is minimal and didn't bother us at all.
For the price this is an excellent place to stay - would definitely recommend.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

The cleanliness of hotel has really gone down hill 3 or 4 months ago it was reaĺly nice now it just looks like it's being scratched .bring back the cleaner from 3 or 4 months ago then that might get rid of the mice as well .

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Paulh0lmes, Manager at The Grapes, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

The new cleaners are great.

I suspect that you might be the last cleaner who left under a bit of a cloud.....

Please can you refrain from these blatantly false comments.

We are taking action to have you barred from Trip Advisor.

To every one else - don't worry the pubs immaculate!

Reviewed 17 July 2017

Rooms over a traditional pub in a central location, the waterfront & high street shopping are within a 5-10 minute walk. I stayed in an en-suite single room, which, while not large, was perfectly acceptable for a solo traveller. It was clean & looked well kept with a comfortable bed, wardrobe built into an alcove, chest of drawers, TV, & tea/coffee tray. The only possible downside is that the rooms are on the 3rd floor, so would probably not be suitable for anyone unable to climb several sets of stairs.
Paul, the manager, was very helpful & friendly, carrying my luggage up to the room (& down again on my departure), inviting my travel companion (who also booked independently into the Grapes) & I to join him & a friend for a drink prior to ordering us a taxi for our onward journey.
We stayed prior to a cruise, the terminal is probably walk-able if you don't have too much luggage or a less than 5 min taxi ride. We also found our room key gave us a discount at the Pizza Express opposite, where we ate that evening, there are several other eating places in Oxford St where I assume you get the same.

Date of stay: July 2017