“Great memories”

First Class Sailing
Ranked #4 of 27 Tours in Southampton
More attraction details
Owner description: At First Class Sailing we give you easy access to the full range of RYA yachting courses and other sailing activities. From the moment you contact us we aim to make your whole experience fun, smooth and hassle free. Our office team are helpful, quick to respond and show a high degree of integrity. First Class Sailing instructors are friendly, professional, thorough and passionate about sailing. So whether you are a complete novice or have some sailing experience, we give you the confidence and expertise to enjoy the ultimate get-away-from-it-all experience: the freedom of sailing.RYA Sailing Courses RYA Sailing courses are internationally recognised. They form part of a scheme that is both easy to follow and enter, whatever level of experience you have. We run RYA Shorebased navigation classes such as Day Skipper theory and Yachtmaster theory in London in the evenings and/or over weekends. We hold RYA Practical Courses such as Competent Crew for novices, Day Skipper for those with more experience and Yachtmaster for those with lots of experience on our yachts based in Shamrock Quay, Southampton and North Frambridge on the East Coast.Sailing Trips Our sailing trips might take you off to the west country for a week of cruising the Devon and Cornish coastlines with their pretty harbours and beautiful estuaries. Or sail over to France and the Channel Islands for a week of Moules Marinieres, French wine and pretty Channel Island anchorages and beaches. For those with less time we have weekend Channel Hops over to France, all year round, which offer the perfect opportunity to build miles and experience quickly.• RYA PRACTICAL COURSESo Competent Crew Practical Courseo Day Skipper Practical Courseo Coastal Skipper Practical Courseo Yachtmaster Coastal Practical Courseo Yachtmaster Practical Courseo Yachtmaster Ocean Practical Course• RYA THEORY COURSESo Day Skipper Theory Courseo Coastal Skipper Theory Courseo Yachtmaster Theory Courseo Yachtmaster Coastal Theory Courseo Yachtmaster Ocean Theory Courseo CEVNI Testo Essential Navigation and Seamanship Online Theory Courseo Online Day Skipper Theory Courseo Online Yachtmaster Theory Courseo London RYA Theory Courses• SPECIALIST RYA COURSESo Sea Survival Courseo VHF Courseo Offshore Safety Course (ISAF)o Radar Courseo First Aid at Seao Diesel Engine Maintenance Courseo Professional Practices and Responsibilites (PPR) Course
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Every experience I've had with First Class Sailing has been excellent. I can highly recommend their courses, and the recent trip to Norway was fantastic, with stunning scenery and great people. I look forward to sailing with them again.

All reviews
"round the island race"
"learning environment"
"without hesitation"
in 4 reviews
"no hesitation in recommending"
"vhf radio"
"theory"
in 28 reviews
"yacht"
in 29 reviews
"courses"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I did my Day Skipper Theory and Practical courses with First Class sailing.

For the theory, they were able to arrange evening classes in Central London which made it easy and convenient for me to attend.

The practical course was split over two week-ends, which again, worked really well with my schedule. James, the instructor, was brilliant. He's patient and very thorough, and always happy to explain something several times. He made everyone on board comfortable learning new things and built up our confidence. It goes without saying that he was super knowledgeable and gave great advice.

I would recommend First Class Sailing to anyone for their flexibility and the quality of their courses.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I have just completed my Day Skipper course with First Class Sailing and I am so happy that I chose FCS as the experience has been thrilling! I have gone from a relative novice to having the knowledge and confidence to take charge of a boat in a small amount of time.

I did my Comp. Crew along with my wife back in April with Jamie as instructor who was really fantastic. Great guy full of knowledge and very patient with our crew of newbies. We came away delighted with what we had learned (which prepared us for our 2-week sailing holiday in Greece later in the year). I was especially pleased that my wife (who does not willingly put herself forward for such activities) came away purring with delight as she had enjoyed the training weekends so much.

As I work in central London the Day Skipper Theory course was located in the most convenient place for me. Yet again I had another brilliant teacher - Andy Barker. After a long day in the office I expected to struggle to keep up with the coursework late in the evenings. Instead Andy's enthusiasm in his teachings made learning an absolute delight and his ability to teach and provide anecdotes from his lifetime of sailing experiences gave me a thirst for more and more knowledge as the weeks went on. Gratefully I sailed through that exam (and I am now really looking forward to taking the Yachtmaster Theory course later in the year). Andy also took the one-day VHF radio course with me a month ago which was great.

Finally my Day Skipper practical took place over the last 2 weekends with instructor James Porter. Not only is James a fantastic instructor with a lifetime of sailing behind him, being a military historian and public speaker he knows just about everything there is to know about the Solent and surrounding historic areas and could give us a story on every landmark! The 2 weekends we spent sailing were superb (great weather helped) and covered every practical element I needed to take my sailing forward to the next stage where I will skipper a boat by myself. I was beaming on my journey home.

I cannot recommend FCS highly enough. Every course I have completed so far has gone above and beyond my expectations and I am delighted to leave some praise and thank Charlie for running such and excellent team!

Reviewed 23 June 2018

I did my RYA Coastal Skipper in March 2017. Instructor Paul got the balance of teaching new skills and refreshing old stuff just right. There were one or two maintenance issues that cropped up that we dealt with that were all part of the experience. Shamrock quay, Cherbourg, Guernsey, Cowes and home. Myself and two other trainees each Gained their certificates. I would reccomend First Class without hesitation.