“Sunday lunch for a 21st birthday”

The King & Queen Pub
Ranked #177 of 909 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: African, Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have often been to the K&Q for a drink or meal and always enjoy our visit. If you want to go for Sunday lunch I would recommend booking. We prefer one of the large tables near the fire. The bar and waiting staff are always attentive and charming (Personally I still enjoy being called "sweetie" by a pretty barmaid!). Plenty of beers and wines to choose from. Dog friendly too. The food is great: generous portions and always delicious. The roasts are epic, high quality meat and tons of fresh veg, one of the best roasts I have eaten in a pub. Fairly limited menu choices for vegetarians and I would encourage the owners to expand this side of the menu. Heartily recommended.

thekingandqueen2015, Owner at The King & Queen Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the great feedback - we are busy testing for our new menu so will take onboard your vegetarian comments - many thanks and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Worked hard on our fleet of dinghies ready for a sailing course and popped to the local for a couple of beers. First round went well settled into the pub and chatted to friends we often meet there. Went to the bar for a second round only to turn around and find my daughters 19 year old BF being challenged for ID!! Tried to reason with the staff who had challenged as well as behind the bar. As my daughter and her BF did not have ID with them our merriment was cut short due to the inflexibility and lack of reasonable judgment shown by the staff.

Neil Morris Thomas: Thank you for your feedback; I’m so sorry that your 18 and 19 year old were refused service because they had no ID. However I am delighted that my staff were not prepared to risk the King and Queen’s premises licence or their own personal licences to serve alcohol. Imagine if we were closed down or my staff lost their jobs for not checking. Are you aware it is the law that under 21yr olds have to show ID in a licensed premises when asked. Please do not take this incident personally, we would love you and your youngsters to come in and enjoy a drink together after boating, however please understand the King and Queen operates under the rather strict Alcohol Licence guidelines ... we cannot make exceptions so please ensure your children carry their ID with them if they would like to be served in The King and Queen in future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited here couple of evening last summer for dinner. Good veggie options and everyone enjoyed their meal. It was a bit of a wait for food, but we didn't mind, as it is a lovely place to sit, out in the beer garden, you can see the high street and people wandering past, and it is all very quaint.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

This was a first time visit for me and I had a really lovely tender piece of steak - sometimes steak can be a bit disappointing when you go out, but not here. The staff were very friendly and attentive as well. It was a Sunday evening and the bar was very busy and a bit noisy, but it’s clearly a popular place and I enjoyed my meal.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I walked into this fine looking pub and was looking forward to a G&T at what I had been told was an excellent sailors’ pub in one of the most beautiful villages in southern England only to be rendered completely invisible as I went over the threshold.
I waited at the bar, which had two other customers at the bar with their drinks, and waited. I waited for the two bat staff to finish their conversation they were having. As they had their backs to me I waited and waited.
I then left.