All reviews top floor quiet street friendly hotel no elevator pre cruise full english stayed for one night first floor plenty of hot water city centre lovely room an evening meal definitely stay here again breakfast was delicious mayflower theatre visiting southampton cruise terminal
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Prior to our August cruise on NCL, we booked the Blue Keys hotel for a two night stay. We took the National Express coach to the Southampton station, obtained a taxi in front and it cost us about 8 pound for the trip with a very friendly driver. We were two seniors traveling as a couple. We wanted to stay in a more English hotel than those available near the pier, and chose Blue Keys because of the great reviews. We were not disappointed.

We requested a lower floor room with a king bed and stayed in room number 4 which was up stairs to the 1st floor (USA second floor). We had assistance with our luggage, and the stairs were not an issue for us. But, no elevator that I saw.

Although this room was facing the parking lot and street, we did not find it to be too noisy. We did not have air conditioning, so we kept windows open and ran the fan. It was totally comfortable.

The room is decent sized, although we did not unpack due to our short stay, so did not test out how well our things would fit if unpacked. The bed was very comfortable. Everything was clean. We used our own converter for power as we did not have success with using the available USB ports for charging our devices. I should have mentioned this to them, but I don't think I did. The bathroom was decent sized with a nice shower, although no tub.

There is a mini bar, and we ate a couple of the chocolates, which were priced as mini bars normally are - pretty high. But, the prices were listed so we knew what we were paying. The coffee machine was wonderful, although there wasn't any creamer when we arrived. We asked for some and were brought a lovely little bottle of real half and half.

After our long flight we were pretty tired, so went right to sleep until dinner time. We then dined at the Blue Keys and had a lovely meal. Smoking is allowed on the patio, so that was a disappointment - we ate inside as we cannot tolerate the smoke. The service was good, although a new person was being trained and missed part of our order. This was made up for by the more experienced staff. The food was wonderful! We so enjoyed our dinner. My salmon with corn salad was delicious, well prepared and beautiful.

Neither of us were feeling well, so we mostly stayed in the room and in bed for our stay. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was really very good. Keep in mind you are provided fresh cooked options, so what you see is not all that is available. The wifi in the hotel was very good for us and we used it quite a bit. Our second night we went out to eat and used an Uber to get us to and from the restaurant.

Check out was very smooth, and we stayed in the bar for a couple of hours before taking an Uber to the pier. We would definitely stay here again and are very happy we did not stay in the Holiday Inn or equivalent just because they were right next to the pier. We loved the feel of this old inn and pub. The service was great, the staff friendly, and our stay was a joy.

Room Tip: If you need a lower room, be sure to ask. Lots of stairs!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

I would like to counter some of the comments I read on trip advisor as part of my review. I visit Southampton about 3-4 times a year to deliver/fetch and visit my son who is studying there. I am an expat working in Germany with family around the UK. Typically, I would stay at chain hotels which are basically the same wherever you stay and you know what you get (Safe).

When I first went to Southampton, I wanted a hotel close to where my son would be living and the usual suspects, e.g. Premier Inn and Novotel were full as were the other hotels.

Therefore, by chance, Blue Keys was the nearest hotel to my son with availability. The staff were efficient and friendly and the bar was frequented by locals as well as guests.
I have stayed slept in different rooms (I recollect 4, 6 and 1 on the 1st floor , and 9 on the 2nd) and one time my other 2 sons stayed in room 2. I notice that since the last time I stayed, the hotel has undergone some upgrades such as improved Wifi, in room TV and facilities, e.g. fridge.

I am 6´4” (192cm) and although I have to crouch slightly to was my hair in the shower, this is the same in almost all hotels I have stayed in the world including 5* business hotels. The bath itself was clean as were the towels. The rooms have coffee/tea making facilities with sachets of sugar and even hot chocolate, Nespresso has been added). A minibar has been introduced since my last stay. Finally and most importantly, the beds have always been comfortable and the bed linen is immaculate.

Dining facilities. I do love a cooked breakfast and Blue Keys provides one of the best full English that I have had. The quantities are just right. Normally I am dining with my son in the city in the evenings but this time we had arrived about 6 and my son had other plans so I ate in the Hotel for the first time. The menu, although small, is diverse with meat, fish and vegetarian dishes. I opted for the battered fish, which is the one dish I miss most living abroad. It was probably close to the best I have had in a restaurant and better than a lot of Fish & Chips establishments I have experienced in 50 years.

Finally, the staff, as mentioned earlier they were friendly and efficient. On the second evening, the receptionist (also the bar person and the waiter) alone was moving from task to task completely unflustered but apologetic that she was the only person working that evening. Most, if not all, the clientele were friendly and patient so I cannot comment on how she would have performed if there had been a difficult customer but having seen her in action on almost all my visits, I must say that all guest have chatted with her even if they had an issue. Also the morning receptionist was friendly and efficient during the breakfast and moving again smoothly between the restaurant and reception.

All in all, I can safely say that Blue Keys is the my first choice when visiting Southampton (or the area). I have never felt the need to complain. My only issue is my own problem which is that I rarely book more than a few day before my travels and then the hotel is fully booked and whichever hotel I book, e.g. Premier Inn or the Harbour Grand, I do not enjoy the experience or feel as relaxed after having stayed at the Blue Keys and I have complained at these other hotels.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank FellowTraveler393557
Reviewed 4 September 2018

We stayed here one night after arriving in Southampton. The room was beautiful and clean. The bed was very comfortable. They even brought in someone to cook dinner for us on a Sunday evening when they found out we wanted to stay in. The breakfast was great, a lot of selection. We also enjoyed sitting in their out door patio. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cpapat
Reviewed 18 August 2018

Having stayed at the hotel previously we had no hesitation in making a booking when visiting Southampton again. Given our past experiences we decided to book the superior delux bedroom including a full English breakfast. (Room 3).

Upon arrival everything was as we expected, plenty of off street parking, a very friendly welcome and a lovely hotel.

Our disappointment was the room. Whilst it was beautifully decorated with lovely furnishings and linen the room was tiny. So small there was no room for a wardrobe meaning hanging space was limited to three hooks on the bathroom door (outside). Yes we had a fridge but this was full of items for sale.

Like the bedroom the ensuite bathroom was tiny. The shower cubicle was also small making turning etc difficult. Indeed the bathroom needs a little bit of tlc to match the standard of the attached bedroom. That said, I was surprised that the horrible brown stain on the ceiling directly above the bed has not been painted given it has clearly been there a while.

I also hope that the curtain has been rehooked so it closes properly.

The service, breakfast, bar facilities were excellent but in this occasion I am afraid the bedroom did not meet, in our opinion, a rating of superior delux.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cardiboy
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent hotel to stay in Southampton. Comfy rooms and excellent beds. Good bathroom and clean. Very friendly staff and also good food from the kitchen.
Absolute value for money!!!
Hotel is easily reached by car and situated slightly outside the city center on a relatively quiet street. No through traffic. Private car park in front of the hotel.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family