“They never pick up the phone, so I can't even book any courts that I pay for, going to cancel my membership.”

Mountbatten Leisure Centre
Reviewed 12 April 2018

I pay an extra £10 a month on top of my normal membership, to have access to racquet sports (which cannot be booked online, which in itself is pretty bad.) So I am forced to phone to book a court. Of the 6 or 7 times I tried to phone, only once was it answered. Each time it rings for about 5 minutes and then disconnects. I wouldn't even mind if this was a one off (busy day or something) but this has been my experience every time I try to book a court here. They don't even allow for multiple bookings, so have to phone every time. Not worth the effort.

If you are planning on getting a membership here to play racquet sports, just don't. You won't actually get to play any...

1  Thank Jeffrey P
BHLive, Manager at Mountbatten Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Thank you for giving us your feedback and we are really sorry to read you’re having difficulty getting through to us on the phone. Your comments have been discussed with the team and we are looking at introducing online booking for racquet sports soon.

In the meantime if you cannot get through to us on the phone, please drop us an email at mountbatten@bhlive.org.uk and come and have a chat with us next time you are in the centre.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Contrary to some other reviews, I really like this leisure centre, although I just go there to swim lengths in the pool lanes. Never visited the café, gym, etc.
First off, it's municipal, not private. I know that should make no difference to standards, but it does. It won't enjoy the per-person level of funding that a private club would expect. Anyway...
I typically visit once a month. On the down side, it's a shame that the "no outdoor footwear" rule is not enforced. A sign of the times or just low standards?
Plusses: I've always found the pool to be clean, well-attended, and at the right temperature...it encourages you to keep moving, while not being chilly. Surely that's the idea.
There's masses of free parking, access is easy, entrance prices are good value. (I'm over 60, so I qualify for an old guys' low price of £3.10.)
The lockers and their keys have seen better days, but hey, I just check that the key works and the strap is ok before I shove all my clothes in there. No worries.
The staff are always courteous.
I'd recommend the pool to anyone...and I'm going to sample the café next time to see if it's as bad as some reviewers' comments.

1  Thank Johnfrisbee
BHLive, Manager at Mountbatten Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Thank you very much for your review and great comments about our pool, parking and prices. We will share your feedback about lockers and footwear to see where our team can make improvements. The Terrace café is currently under refurbishment and will be open again soon. We do have a temporary service running in the meanwhile so you can still enjoy a drink and some food after your swim. We look forward to seeing you back at the centre soon and thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Absolutely appalling! Coffee undrinkable. Long queue and one lady who seemed to be just standing around telling customers all the items that were 'off', rather than helping. It is a shame that such a modern centre has such an awful cafe.

1  Thank John S
BHLive, Manager at Mountbatten Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Thank you for giving us feedback about your recent visit to the cafe. We’re really sorry though to read you didn’t enjoy the coffee and the customer service could've been much better. The cafe is going to be refurbished in the coming months and all of your comments will be discussed with the team so that when it reopens, you will hopefully see a significant improvement.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

Me my sister and my kids came to the leisure centre to go swimming, after we thought we'd go in the cafe and have a meal. I ATTEMPTED to order a portion of nachos for myself, to be rudely told that they have no chilli so it'll just be sour cream and cheese, I said that's fine as i was starving, I ordered for my girls a chicken burger and a fish finger wrap. I then asked if I could have a penne pasta be rudely told again they have no pasta..... so instead I ordered ham egg and chips, my meal didn't take long to come at all but no cutlery was brought and there was none about to take so I had to ask, 15 minutes later my kids meals and my nachos still hadn't come, I asked when they'd be here. The man, basically shouting at me, said "you haven't paid for them" in shock I said "I paid. At the till. In cash. 15 minutes ago" he went into the kitchen and brought my food out straight away so it'd obviously been waiting there for a while as both of my girls said it was cold. We asked for some ketchup and they had none, on a Saturday you'd think they'd have ketchup, pasta, chilli and cutlery!? Not only did this happen to me I watched a boy order a panini, then the man who was making the paninis made one for himself and went on his lunch break. I'm upset for their sake because it could be a really nice little cafe to come and have a hot meal after a family day swimming but clearly they're not capable of that. I rated it at one because there isnt an option to rate 0.

BHLive, Manager at Mountbatten Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Thank you for providing feedback about your recent visit. We are really disappointed though to read that your experience in the café was not good. We would like to find out more. Would you be happy to speak with our Food and Beverage Manager to discuss your visit? If that would be ok, please can you contact us at Tiago.Mestre@bhlive.org.uk with your contact details and we'll get in touch.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

My partner and I joined as members a few months ago and the general cleanliness of the center appears to be going downhill. The pool has a line of grime at the water mark, revolting! Never have I seen this in a pool before. The gym equipment has dust everywhere. Particularly bad underneath the equipment around the treadmills arc. It looks like it is only hoovered around the equipment, it needs to be done underneath as well. The ladies changing room needs a deep clean from top to bottom as well as the shower area. There is a build up of talcum powder in the changing cubicles, I can scrape it off with my nail. Dust and dirt around the shower area in the hinges, nooks and crannies. Black mould in the silicone.Hair on the shower floor or glass panels, gross! Showers are scalding at times. Most of us would like a cool shower after a workout. I have worked in the leisure industry and have to say the level of cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired. Glass and mirrors in the gym are grubby too. Seriously considering leaving. Surely with so many people using the center cleanliness should be a priority. It is a bacteria haven.

Thank you for your review and telling us about your experiences. We are disappointed though to read that some areas are not quite meeting standards. We have reviewed all of your points and our technicians are looking into the maintenance issues you have raised. We are also closely monitoring cleanliness as a priority. We hope you see improvements and please come and have a chat with us next time you are in the venue as we'd be sorry to lose you.

A. Richards, Senior Operations Manager