Reviews (1 530)
1 530 results
All reviews sea view car park sea front south parade pier lounge bar buffet style single room bit dated lovely hotel room was large reception staff isle of wight street parking breakfast was excellent weekend break enjoyable stay a lovely stay
540 - 545 of 1 530 reviews
Reviewed 1 May 2016

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2016

Reviewed 30 April 2016 via mobile

Excellent venue with good meal served piping hot. Very attentive staff and no rip off priced at the bar. Certainly good value for money.
As an added bonus the hotel offered a special room rate for the guests with B and B. Only down side is the poor parking.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends

Thank you for reviewing your Dinner Dance with us and I am pleased you found everything to be great, we are one of the busiest Hotels in Portsmouth for private functions and it is good to know the team delivered a good experience, best wishes, Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 30 April 2016

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

I spend a lot of my working life in Portsmouth and thought I'd give this hotel a try, just to mix it up a bit!

Reception staff were very pleasant, welcoming and helpful on checking in, out and any queries in between - nice one guys!

The hotel itself is dated.....very dated. Obviously a grand old building, but overall, in desperate need of a major overhaul. Would be a great candidate for that Alex Polenzi lady to spend a few weeks at.

Rooms themselves are fine and fairly comfortable. Very spacious and I had a fine sea view! But the Queen bed was two singles tagged together. I saw on another review the suggestion that this is a standard approach in the industry. Not sure I buy that line. The attraction of a Queen bed (as a single guest) is the thought of spreading yourself over it and feeling the splendour of space and a zillion different angles to sleep in. The illusion of lroom to stretch out is quashed when you've the hard ridge of a dividing line part way across it.

Food in the restaurant was pretty good. Nice pork belly steak in a rich gravy. Again - great space, but felt stuck in the 80's from a decor stand point.

The next night I thought I'd give the bar food a bash.....not so good. I was served by a young lad who kept calling me 'pal' (he wasn't even from Glasgow). Now I'm no snob, but calling your guests 'pal' isn't really the way to go. I like to think I must look young and cool and the lad thought of me more as a peer than a 40 something year old business traveller or maybe he genuinely wanted to be my friend.

Sadly the staff didn't seem to know the menu e.g. what the 'pie of the day' was and when it (steak and onion) was served ('there you go pal'), it was edible but the meat very chewy and really not the best quality. Regardless, I ate it all and after it was taken away ('you finished have you pal?'), I was entertained by the bar maid wandering around the bar asking at volume if anyone had ordered a prawn cocktail.

So - ultimately an average stay at an average hotel. Average isn't bad, nor is it that good and this hotel could be sooooo much better, it just needs a million or two thrown at it to bring it into the 21st century.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank deej74

Thank you for your review which I have copied out to all the team to discuss your service comments, I am pleased you found most elements of your stay satisfactory, we are carrying out a planned refurbishment at the moment but the age and style of the building will dictate the impression we seek to achieve, the hotel has its own character and style which we will maintain and hope our guests enjoy, best wishes, Chris Gilmore, GM

Reviewed 28 April 2016