“Good Nachos ”
Review of Spice Island Inn

Spice Island Inn
Ranked #173 of 737 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Spice Island Inn is situated on The Point in Old Portsmouth with the most beautiful view across Portsmouth's busy harbour, Gunwharf Quays and the Spinnaker Tower. Originally 3 pubs that were converted into one in 1991. We are an exceptionally busy pub in the warmer summer months and if you want to have a leisurely drink and/or something to eat this is the place for you. We have 2 bars and tables in the upper bar can be reserved, there are a number of seats outside too which are very well used in the summer months. Some people believe Spice Island is a restaurant, but in reality it is a pub with a good food offering. Our speciality dish is hand battered fish & chips which is popular with many of our customers. We do hire out our upper bar for private functions and events.There is always at least 3 cask conditioned ales available, with guest ales making a regular appearance.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I popped in for a bite to eat during a lovely sunny evening, We ordered the Nachos, we would thoroughly recommend them to anyone. The Nachos were homemade and light, the service was friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

The Point in old Portsmouth is one of my favourite places and the Spice Island Inn used to be one of my favourite pubs for food and drinks. Not any more! I don't know what has changed there as I haven't visited for a number of years but when I went for dinner recently I was sorely disappointed.
I chose to have roast beef and my wife had roast pork. The beef was actually a sirloin steak and not slices of beef as I had expected. Whether the meat had actually been roasted, grilled or fried I have no idea. We couldn't determine what cut the pork was except that like the beef it was mostly inedible.
Both meals were accompanied by "Seasonal Vegetables". These being roast potato, peas and carrots and some cold hard green cabbage. The dishes were both swimming in gravy and mine had a Yorkshire pudding.
The cost of the meals is less important to me than the quality and value being provided yet neither were worth the price paid. We will still visit our favourite part of the area but will give the Spice Island a miss in future.

2  Thank kaman25
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Called in on a blazing hot day for something to eat. We ordered the cheese and ham hock toastie. I can honestly say that this was the best cheese and ham toastie I have ever had. It was on sourdough bread and although I didn't get out a ruler to confirm this I would guess at least 10" long. There was a good selection of real ales and at least one I had never tried before. They operated on a try before you buy so I did and I was not disappointed with the condition or presentation. The taste is obviously a matter of personal choice. The staff were all friendly and the landlady Julie runs a tight ship. The views from the pub windows of Portsmouth Harbour were superb.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Wonderful location and views, but poor food and indifferent service. Bland chicken Caesar salad and chips that seemed to have been oven cooked, and cold with it. Food served in fits and starts, some had finished their mains before others even served. This could be a wonderful place but is living on its location alone. No wonder on a warm summer evening it was less than half full

2  Thank Steve W
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Came here as it looked like a very good location. Cost of the food was high with very small portions. As the food was served which was very late due to a large number of people ordering food all at the same time, this was not a problem. The orders were wrong but unable to get the food we had ordered. eat what we could and left very disappointed. Had to buy more food from a local supermarket

1  Thank Stewart M