All reviews glass shelf oldest pub in england the pub limited parking feature room lovely lunch superior room roll top bath main restaurant bar area street parking lovely old building wine list lovely room booked a table attention to detail coffee machine
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Having read good reports and viewed the menu on line we booked a lunch time meal to celebrate an anniversary. We were disappointed to learn that the items we had previously selected were off the menu, so one of us ordered the Special of The Day, which included soup and a main course, and my partner declined a starter. There was a long wait considering very few customers at mid day and to our surprise the two main courses arrived together, but no soup this has been "forgotten". We were told this would be taken into account. The main meal actually was only luke warm.

We then ordered desserts and were then informed only two dishes were available, Creme Brulee or ice - cream. (The coffee arrived BEFORE the dessert)

We therefore ordered the Creme Brulee which arrived stone cold straight from the fridge without any hot crunchy topping.

They did a minor adjustment to the bill due to having forgotten the soup, we didn't make a fuss at the time because we didn't want it to spoil or sour our Special Day any further, but felt very annoyed and disappointed.
If they had kitchen problems having had my details in advance they should have contacted me and I could have selected another venue.We didn't want to book into a Fawlty Towers situation.
All subsequent communication has been ignored. They are a very busy and popular establishment but be prepared things can go wrong.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I thought long and hard about how to write this review, as we did have some issues whilst at the hotel, but we did raise them whilst there and the management did work hard to resolve everything for us. So therefore I have to give them 'very good' for their efforts.

We were in room 5 and had some issues with the heating, we were given supplement heating for the first night, we were there for 2 nights, but for the second night, the heating was fixed. There was a problem with the boiler and they had to get someone in to have it fixed. There were other smaller issues which were also resolved for us. I should also point out that Room 5 does not have Wifi, assume it's just too far from their hub to work, but there's a little snug on the ground floor, where you can sit and the Wifi works perfectly well there.

So all that aside, it was a very cosy room in the roof space, unlike many other attic space rooms there were no problems with beams etc, my husband is 6'4" and he had no problems with head space, which was a welcomed relief.

It was a small room, so I'm not sure it would be suitable if you wanted to stay more than a few days and there was no wardrobe, just a hook on the back of the door with a couple of hangers, luckily we had our own hangers for most of our clothes. There is a set of drawers, so that was useful.

There are the usual things like a kettle, teabags and coffee, but we only got a bottle of water on the second night, but I think that's been mentioned in other reviews, so I assume the water is only provided for bookings of more than one night, so providing it on the second night would make sense if that's the case.

Breakfast was included in our deal, or at least was noted on our booking.com confirmation, as again I know that this has been mentioned on previous reviews, so we did not pay extra for breakfast, albeit, we like others were told at on arrival that we had just booked the room only !!?? The breakfast itself was great, really good food, could have just done with a bit of fruit on the second morning, but we went at such a busy time I just wonder if they were running out of things.

We parked in one of the very few spaces at the side of the hotel, but there is free parking outside the hotel I believe, and the town square if free after 6pm and before 10am, but also there is a really reasonable town car park only a short walk away.

When we checked out we did get a discount on our room rate, which was absolutley fair and I thank the management for arranging that.

Would I stay again, perhaps if we were in a different room and depending how long we were staying, I might request a room with a wardrobe.

Room Tip: If you want Wifi in your room, I'd ask to be on a lower floor
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Called in here on a bitterly cold Cotswold day, mainly to get into the warm for a while and thaw out. Decided we had better have something to eat so the three of us, after being shown to a table by a friendly member of staff decided on haddock and chips. They were so good ! We live by the sea in North Wales but all agreed we have rarely tasted better fish. Staff were friendly and attentive without being pushy. Very strongly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here one night and had a good night’s stay. The rooms were small but well-appointed, clean with a modern bathroom. The inn has been around since 749AD! The inn is a maze of old small buildings connected to each other through small corridors/hallways that adds a lot of character and charm.

The small room was unexpectedly quiet — didn’t hear anything from outside or rooms bell or across the small landing.

A full breakfast was included served in a very charming old dining room with 2 large fireplaces. We had the Belgian waffles and smoked bacon — delicious!

Really enjoyed our short stay. Highly recommend if you’re looking to experience a historic charming inn in the Cotswold.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2018

We paid top dollar for a room that was absolutely tiny. The bathroom was worse; the washbasin was ludicrously small, unusable for all practical purposes. I have never had to resort to washing my face in the shower before!

The staff were great and the bars/restaurants excellent; but these are available to you as a member of the public!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main body of the hotel, refuse room 14
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple