“Great food”
Review of The Tavern

The Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 495 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$2 - US$2
Cuisines: American, Asian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Tavern started with a simple mission...to deliver delicious food at reasonable prices. Our mission remains the same. We bring you favourites from the old along with gobsmackingly delicious burgers, sinful shakes laced with bourbon and bespoke ice cream sundaes where you can pick the flavour, toppings and sauces. What's new is you can eat at any time from midday to midnight. Expect homemade, artisan burgers, made with local dry aged beef on Stokes Marsh Farm from Aberdeen Angus cross Hereford cows and a whole load of twists and classics like mac n cheese, sinful shakes and bespoke ice cream sundaes.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

The set vice was a little slow and they hot one starter wrong but it was resolved quickly and we ended up with an extra free starter. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and the food was delicious and there was plenty of it we left very full !!!

Steve N, General Manager at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Dear NannyMcFanny,

Sorry we messed up a little this time but glad we resolved it for you, I will pass on your compliments to the team, they will be very happy to hear about this and I'm glad we did our job in making you feel full by the end.

looking forward to seeing you again very soon

kindest regards

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Our favorite local spot ! We absolutely love this place ! Amazing service, food, atmosphere and Sunday roast ! The burgers are the best too ! Highly recommend this place to anyone !

Steve N, General Manager at The Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Hi Travelgirl72613, due to this wonderful heat , we have changed the Sunday for July and we are doing a Sunday brunch menu from 10am which is proving very popular, we would love you to come and try it and sit back and enjoy one of the many bands we have performing from 2pm.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Fantastic service, great atmosphere. Had an amazing gin cocktail and the food was fantastic. I’m very particular when it comes to steak but it well exceeded my expectations. We’ll definitely be back again and very soon.

Thank you RebeccaWaite , i will pass this on to the team, they will be very happy to hear this.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Having had dinner here some months before when Fathers Day lunch was mentioned I persuaded the Apple of my eye... to bring me here for lunch! We all had the roasts two beef one pork... as Sunday lunches go you won't be disappointed! Yorkshire puddings that Aunt Bessie would envy... desserts followed which were equally as impressive. If your in Cheltenham and looking for Sunday lunch you won't go far wrong.... slight mix up with the bill but rectified quickly... and good old Dad paid! Happy Fathers day!

Thank you Trickeytrees, we are very excited to launch our Easy Like Sunday Brunch menu for July/August with solo and Duo music artists playing every week, I do hope you come down an try it out.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Arrived at the Tavern for a meal with a party of friends , initial thoughts were it was a relatively well laid out pub with a few good ales on tap and polite, helpful staff. These points I cannot fault.

The meal however was another story.....
The waiter arrived to take orders....

I asked for some bread with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some olives...sure thing. Then the main order.....1st choice not available.....2nd choice......not available.....3rd choice, the goat was available to my amazement.

Right...starters arrived.....some plain slightly stale white bread and a small pot of oil. No balsamic, no olives and no variety of bread, it looks underwhelming to say the least, perhaps tragic in fact.

Then out comes the waiter again.... SO....apparently all the meals had been pre-booked and the chef has started cooking before we got there.
To make life easy I said sure thing with a due sense of dread and exhaustion. The meal was the flagship crème da la crème Chateaubriand steak to feed three people with all the trimmings. Ok well good at least it’s something surely exceptional at £68 it outta taste like the first time I head Nirvana.

This plate turns up with what looks like a skinned, barbecued slightly anorexic cat.....what is this? There was not enough to feed two there never mind three. The meat itself was covered in fat and of obvious low quality. Then came out a few small bowls of vegetables, again about as uninspiring as Theresa Mays Brexit negotiations.

I didn't want to hang around for desert so decided to pull the plug.

I cannot believe there are restaurants that get away with charging these prices for utter dross.

To confirm what I said earlier you cannot fault the place for a few drinks and friendly staff but I would not eat there again any time in a hurry.

I’m really sorry that you had a bad experience with us at the Tavern, if you would to contact me then please email me at general.manager@thetaverncheltenham.com