All reviews mini bar deluxe room le talbooth complimentary soft drinks duck tacos hake private dining room shower over the bath bottle of prosecco sister hotel lovely surroundings lounge area lovely hotel decent size course meal cooked to perfection the room was nice
Reviewed 28 July 2018

Just returned from a fantastic overnight stay with friends to mark a milestone birthday. We booked an overnight package “step into summer” which was excellent value. We’ve previously stayed at one of their other properties - Kesgrave Hall, so had an expectation of what we would enjoy. This visit didn’t disappoint. Another warm welcome in a lovely setting. It is close to the busy A12 so at certain points there was a background hum of the traffic but it in no way impacted on our stay. A great sized comfortable well equipped bedroom & bathroom. We were there on the hottest day of the year & had a fan in the room to help cope with the intense heat. We ate in the restaurant in the evening & were fortunate to sit outside under the canopied area, & even though there was a much needed thunderstorm & heavy rain it was a fabulous experience with amazing food & a fantastic choice of dishes. The staff are friendly, helpful & attentive & there’s no rush to end your evening. We retired inside to the lounge for drinks before bed. Breakfast the following morning was also a lovely occasion. A choice of fruit, pastries, cereals & juices before you’re served various cooked options. Extremely tasty & again served by lovely efficient staff. Make sure you explore Dedham & the surrounding area whilst you’re here. So much to see. An all round wonderful experience.

Room tip: Room 4 or 6. Overlooking front entrance to hotel but opposite side to the A12 & restaurant so a quieter room.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2018

Hadn’t been for a while as we had a slight problem last time with seating which was annoying, but thought we would revisit, we were not not staying in the hotel, we went for Sunday lunch with friends, I usually go in the week which is busy but nowhere as busy as a Sunday, it was packed but the service was excellent, very little waiting. We all had differant dishes, mains and dessert, all were very good. I had gin and tonic flavoured with cucumber, unusual and lovely.

Room tip: No comment on room but try the lamb shank, it was great
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2018

the service was very slow when wine was re ordered bottle of white warm came out fairly warm.

the waitress did return with a cold bottle but not right away there was quite a long delay

food was nice, duck tacos have been removed from the menu which were a personal favourite.

i wouldn't rush back

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

Gosh it was hot the day we chose to stay! Our room was stifling but they had thoughtfully provided a fan and the windows were open. Lovely room, a little on the small side, with extremely comfortable, if somewhat bouncy, beds. Good toiletries in bathroom, big fluffy towels and a nice shower. What was very good was the free soft drinks in the mini bar which included old fashioned lemonade and elderflower spritzer - a welcome touch.

What I didn’t like was not bring able to get a drink in the garden without going to the bar myself. But the girl behind the bar was so friendly and helpful. She suggested I try one of their new range of mixers with my Bombay Sapphire gin - it was absolutely delicious - watermelon and cucumber - and so refreshing. I also didn’t like the idea of taking pot luck to find a dining space and having to go up to the bar to order. I think perhaps hotel guests should be able to reserve a table. Service was very slow but the hake was delicious when it eventually arrived but my rump steak was tough and I didn’t really like being served ‘garden peas’ aka frozen peas! The one dessert we ordered contained inedible rhubarb and this was not deducted from the price of the meal.

Breakfast was good, although we did have to ask to sit outside and the fresh fruit assortment was rather depleted, as were the breakfast pastries. Cooked breakfast was very good and just the right amount but the coffee was a little weak.

All in all a very good experience and I would certainly return.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed overnight on business. Rooms are very funky and modern.
The outdoor area was lovely and we drank there till the early hours, staff were very friendly and accommodating.
The menu was great, I had a great steak and all our party enjoyed the food.
Would definitely return !!!!

Date of stay: June 2018