Reviews (1 062)
1 062 results
All reviews sea view the general manager third floor bar menu private beach lovely old hotel seen better days limited parking night break short break fabulous views some tlc room was clean and comfortable sunday lunch car parking the cliff relaxing break
9 - 14 of 1 062 reviews
Reviewed 23 August 2018

On arrival we were greeted and shown to our table that had a wonderful view of the sea and Swanage.The staff were all efficient and friendly especially Krissy a very nice girl.
We dined on soup that came with bread rolls,so many restaurants have given up on this,Sea Bass to which we added an extra portion of vegetables each,two different desserts and a bottle of wine.
All the food was cooked perfectly and tasted delicious.If I am honest I would like a larger main course portion but after dining out a lot for two weeks we were pretty full and fancied something lighter.
The bill was more expensive but you have to pay for ambiance and position and the Grand certainly had that.
We will return when next in Swanage.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paulineclifton
Reviewed 22 August 2018

We held our Wedding Breakfast at The Grand Hotel at the end of July.The contact I had with the Manager Lindsey was excellent, she understood exactly what we wanted and gave 'spot on' advice. On the day we received a warm welcome and were made to feel really special. All the staff we came into contact with were friendly, and professional. The food was excellent, with all our guests enjoying their meals, and the setting over the bay was beautiful. For us, the Hotel and Staff more than exceeded our expectations and helped to make our Wedding Day perfect. We had stayed in Bournemouth the night before in a 4 star hotel and received 3 star (at best) service. At the Grand we had 5 star treatment and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Richy V
Reviewed 19 August 2018

I cannot comment on the hotel but a friend bought me day trip with high tea to the Spa. It was VERY DISAPPOINTING!
The small plunge pool was literally dangerous - a sloping bottom going straight down to over 5m with no warning, people using it as a swimming pool even though it was tiny and only designed for plunging thus splashing/bashing/pushing/kicking etc. I had my feet taken out from beneath me by an underwater boy who swam into me. It was also very cold and was full of children and there was no supervision. The Jacuzzi was pathetic with the jets only working very feebly on one side. With both the plunge pool and the Jacuzzi the hand rails were loose and wobbly.The lockers were out in a public space and the changing rooms (all two of them) were cramped and grubby. Also the showers had clear glass so that you couldn't take off your swimsuit in the shower to cleanse off the chlorine which was very strong. The whole thing was trying to do too much (trying to be a swimming pool NOT a Spa with plunge pool) and was all rather grubby and poorly kept/maintained. The high tea was ok but only ok and could do with less sweet stuff and more savoury. We were put at a table out in a conservatory area for our tea which was in full sun. There were ceiling fans (which did nothing) and the large windows were slightly open but we 'cooked' and it was far too hot to be comfortable/enjoyable with the sun right in our eyes also! All in all a very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Don't go for a Spa trip!
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chrissybrooks19
Reviewed 14 August 2018

As soon as I arrived I was shown to my table by Brad who showed me the cold buffet (selection of different cereals including gluten free, yogurts, croissants, fresh fruit, melon,cheese and ham, choice of fresh juices, prunes and grapefruit segments)
I was provided with coffee whilst I looked at the hot food menu. I had the salmon with poached eggs (perfectly cooked) with mushrooms and bacon (a good selection of items on the hot food was available to me. I noticed there was also a great selection of vegetarian and gluten free options.
The views are divine and there was a brilliant peaceful atmosphere for me to relax with my breakfast.
Would definitely come back again! Felt most welcome by Brad and his team. Excellent food, brilliant service and the air conditioning was most welcoming

Room Tip: Cold buffet,unlimited coffee,tea & toast. Fully cooked breakfast of your choice £9.95
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Krissy W
Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

My Mother and I booked for a two night stay to catch up with family on holiday in Swanage. Upon arrival the staff were all very attentive and very polite. The room was not available until 2 so we sat in the conservatory with a cold beer enjoying the panoramic views over the bay. The room was overlooking the car park but was spacious and clean although the bathroom was rather on the small side.
We booked a table for 8 for the evening meal which we all agreed was most enjoyable and well cooked.
Unfortunately I received a phone call which meant we could not stay for our second night, we were very disappointed but having experienced The Grand will definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family