“LOVELY ITALIAN EATERIE”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Looked on Trip Advisor earlier today and read a few reviews, some good and some not so good but was going anyway as friends said it was right on the beach in a lovely setting. Well yes and no. As I am disabled I found the walk from the car park very steep and long but I was holding onto my husband but wouldn't particularly go again.
The place was buzzing and we were welcomed in by a lovely waitress from Lithuania. She was friendly and helpful. The menu was vast and the choices were very nice. The wait for food was quite slow but when our starters arrived they looked very appetizing. The mains were very nice and mine (Breaded Veal Escalope with Spaghetti Napoli) was huge. I ended up taking half of the Escalope home (for our dog!). It was delicious. Dessert was Raspberry Cheesecake which 3 of us shared. It was Ok but not great. Quite dry with the squirty cream (synthetic) on. Couldn't eat the cream - it was vile. I asked for a Double Espresso Macchiato but it wasn't-just white coffee. For an Italian restaurant it wasn't the nicest coffee. I've had better in Nero or Costa. My husband had Seafood Starter which looked amazing and he enjoyed it. He followed with Salmon on Mediterranean Vegetables which he loved too. We had Wine and soft drinks and our friends enjoyed their meals too.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have been to the Vesuvio twice recently, and on both occasions the food has been very good. On both occasions I had the homemade soup from the Specials board, followed by Lasagne. The food was lovely and very tasty. The first night there was a Jazz duo playing and it was very pleasant with the service quick and efficient. The second meal, which was on a Monday night, service was slow. I really like this restaurant and I have always enjoyed the food.

1  Thank stephenfLondon_UK
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Having waited a long time to get menus even longer to order. My partners pizza was not bad. Quite acceptable but I chose chicken avocado bacon rap with slaw etc.
£10.99 ?
Oh dear dry rap one tiny piece of dry chicken a few bacon bits ? Spoon of avocado. 2/4 shreds of lettuce tasteless and not worthy of a restaurant. I retuned it no problem no charge but by the time staff gave me attention my partner had finish so no point waiting another hour to order something else
Got the feeling they did ok with beach tourists who would pay and accept anything good luck when season is over and only busness is locals.
To sum up if you want a pleasant lunch by the beach in summer avoid.

4  Thank pamdobbs
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Another most enjoyable meal at this vibrant restaurant and the live jazz duo made the evening really memorable. Busy but not too noisy, staff were polite and attentive.
Good food, generous portions, profiteroles & tiramisu to die for! All with lovely sea views.

1  Thank christinefircroft94
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Vesuvio is a typically buzzy middle of the road Italian Bar / Restaurant, but what gives it the edge is its wonderful location, right on the beach front. We've often sat here sipping a drink watching the setting sun silhouette the Old Harry Rocks - which it faces across the bay. Magical ! Sometimes we eat - lunch, or more often dinner. The menu is typically Italian, the food "OK". The service varies. This week it wasn't good. Ignored at first as waiters scurred about serving early evening "beach" drinkers. Eventually some attention. Orders taken, first course and wine arrived; very good. Then 40 minutes elapsed before second course -and only after chasing twice. It wasn't that busy so what was the problem in the kitchen ??. The long delay spoilt an otherwise enjoyable evening.