All reviews david urquart home cooked swimming pool lick of paint tea and coffee hotel is situated waiting staff visiting torquay coach break entertainment
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

Me and 2 mates stayed here for one night on the 23rd September 2017. We had traveled from Southampton for the Torquay game v Macclesfield. To be fair, it's an old place with in need of a lick of paint, but we had no complaints whatsoever. The owner Ken was a nice bloke who opened the bar for us when we arrived, even though it was shut prior to that. Breakfast in the morning was pretty good as well and the chef was helpful. The only bad thing I can say about our stay was the shower was a bit weak. Not a massive issue if you ask me. Otherwise it was brilliant. I'd definitely come back here for the next game we go to. Perfect for what we needed. Cheers Ken!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lloyd G
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to meet you and I note your concern about the shower being weak. Unfortunately, we have a gravity fed system and that on some occasions does tend to fluctuate the pressure particularly on the top floor. I am sorry for any undue inconvenience in this connection. We now look forward to your return visit here. cheers.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Came with 3 friends for 4 days and we all enjoyed it , clean , comfortable , entertainment , nice bar , the staff were really helpful and the food was excellently prepared by Chef Chris really great tasty food , was worth the visit , well done Abbey Court

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Frank M
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind words; I will pass on your encouraging comments to the staff. We will look forward to your return visit to the Abbey Court in the not too distant future.
Once again thank you.

Ken Purewal

Reviewed 9 July 2017

On arrival owner came out to coach and welcomed us all which was very nice and polite as were all staff very polite and helpful . Even the Chef was lovely and helpful.
I have yet to understand how the manager decided who had what room as it seemed that in our group of 28 people the people that were on there own were given family rooms and those that were couples were given very small rooms and I mean small rooms you could just about walk round the double bed and the small TV was on the bed side cabinets so if in bed you could not watch it !! .
The hotel apart from the lovely light shades is old tied and in need of complete make over , carpets in hall ways fine but rooms the carpets are ready and crying out to be put in skip ,they are dirty and threadbare (photo attached ) ,even coat hangers look dirty so all our clothing stayed in case. . Showers in rooms were over bath and some were lucky and had where tap is shower or tap, some went back in time and had the old plastic shower that goes on tap. White towels were old and in need of upgrading, shower curtain another thing for skip photo attached , black mold yet shower curtains so cheap !!! . Extractor fan not working which is breaking health and safety rules when no window in bathroom,
Clean kettle and cups in room and teabags and coffee replenish everyday.
Mattress cover needs washing badly hairs and stains !!! .
Swimming pool and surrounding area looked lovely but lots of steps down to garden so anybody with walking difficulties this is not a hotel for you. Although pool looked lovely never see anybody test or net it in the whole week there and no net about to get all the black bits out and the seagulls love it for swimming in and other things !!.
If you went out on a trip you are not aloud to use pool only if you are in for the day. I do understand the rule of there must always be two people out there.
Food breakfast was fine but don,t understand why it is served on very small plates which are as big as tea plates. Evening meal menus were not the sort of thing you want on hot summer evenings and a lot of us went out because of this although I do not feel this is chefs thought but I think he is on such a tight budget. Shepard's pie, liver, fish pie, lasagne .But on saying this I could not have any complaints of how friendly and helpful the dinning room staff and chef are.
Well done .
The owner you don,t hardly ever see and if you wanted him you had to ring bell as he lived in basement of hotel with he,s family.
Sadly he has hotel up for sale and feel he has given up as things are hard for the hotel industry.
Would any of us go back out of 28 people a big No

Room Tip: Don,t go unless you really can not afford to go some were else.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank sue D
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your review of your stay at the Abbey Court. Thank you also for your kind words and I note your concerns. I am sorry for your disappointments but would reply as follows: Rooms are allocated according to the individual requests from guests when we receive the rooming list from the organisers. The Abbey Court Hotel was built with Victorian character in 1870s and became a hotel in 1920s. The hotel is in a conservation area and I am sure you will appreciate that we can not make any alterations as simply as we would like. However, I am sorry that the house keeping staff failed to do their duty well. Therefore, I regret that you did not bring your concerns to my notice during your stay as I do live on the lower ground of the premises.
With regard to the outdoor swimming pool I am afraid it is exposed to the elements but we do maintain the quality of the water at the required specifications. I am aware also that the other guests that used the pool enjoyed swimming in it. The conditions for the use of the pool are there for the safety of the guests since the pool has a gradient leading to a depth of 2 metres.
I would further reassure you that our Chef serves his breakfast on a normal breakfast plate. Doubtless you would also recall that in my welcome address on your arrival at the hotel I did mention that if you have any special requirements please let the Chef know and he will do all he can to meet your choices. Alas! you did not bring your concerns to our notice during your stay with us.
Once again my apologies for your disappointing stay and for this lengthy response.

Reviewed 26 September 2016 via mobile

Stayed in the Abbey Court hotel on Saturday with 2 mates. When we got there I realised I had booked a triple room for 2 persons. The lady on the reception was extremely helpful and sorted the problem immediately. The room she arranged us to stay in was superb with a fantastic view of Torquay. She was provided me with details of the local places to have breakfast. Great parking facilities. When we came down for breakfast in the morning the chef came our to greet us and was very friendly. I can understand some hotels may have reservations about 3 lads staying in a room who have come down for the football but the staff treated us no differently. A fantastic nights stay!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank Todd D
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Abbey Court; I am pleased to note that you found our location & service to your liking. We look forward to your return visit in the future. Once again thank you.

Reviewed 9 September 2016

Stayed in room 29, very comfortable with lovely view of the swimming pool and across the bay. Staff were friendly and helpful especially to older guests. The quirky shower was interesting! Bath water temperature was always nice which I have not always found in other hotels. Food was delicious, well prepared and served nice and hot. Good variety and choices on menu. Pleasant lounge and bar and some good evening entertainment. Wifi limited to lounge only. Good location within walking distance of the seafront. The bus to and from the centre stopped right outside the hotel which was excellent for people with limited mobility. Lift broke down on our leaving day but I suspect my elderly mother could have had something to do with that. Apologies to other guests who had to carry cases down.

Room Tip: Very good view from room 29
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Enki40
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time out to review your stay at the Abbey Court. I note your encouraging comments & will pass them on to my staff. Thousand thanks.