All reviews town centre car park at the back cooked breakfast hotel is situated my husband and i have just lovely breakfast two nights nice size comfortable bed plenty of hot water comfortable stay night break brian harbour tv cereal heating
Reviewed 26 May 2017

This B&B is ideally situated only a 3 minute walk to the sea front and has car parking at the rear. We did however find the room to be quite dirty with LARGE cobwebs at the side of the wardrobe and behind a window desk and thick dust on the top of the wardrobe, mirror and skirting board.I also had to remove 2 large spiders from the room. The milk capsules in the room were over a year out of date I took these to the owner/manager who did replace them with some that in his own words were "Nearly out of date". The following morning my wife and I had orange juice from a breakfast jug we had one mouthful each and both said it tasted sour.The following morning we each decided to have a small carton of apple juice and noticed that they were also out of date.I informed the owner/manager who looked at them and said "they are only a few weeks out of date" My wife then went to have a packet of the Alpen breakfast cereal that was provided and saw that they were also all a month out of date so did not bother. I suspect that reduced price out of date or nearly out of date food is being purchased for the guests which is not a great way to run any business or obtain good reviews. I am sure that he will deny this but the evidence of several items of out of date food speaks for its self

Stayed: May 2017
brian p, Manager at Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2017

Unfortunately, the milk capsules were out of date and once it had been brought to my attention they were immediately replaced. I appologised to the customer at the time for the oversight.
I can assure the guest that there is no question of the hotel being supplied with reduced out of date supplies but it has to be assumed that there is an adquate sell by date on every item when delivered. I regret that it is not possible to inspect every single item every day, which seems to be what the guest is advising.
The sealed kiddie size orange juice cartons were a few days overdue and the alpen also the same. It was to the orange juice that my comment "nearly out of date " referred to, not the milk capsules, so i think the guest seems to be a little confused.
With regard to the cobweb etc, its a shame that the guest did not bring this matter to my attention at the time in order that the cleaner represtentive could be informed.

Reviewed 6 May 2017

my wife and i decided to visit the hudson again this year for the weekend. and i must say it seems to have let itself down again!
the room was freezing cold and there was no heating on in the hotel at all, the balcony door did not shut and lock right.
the hotel looked like it was well overdue for a spring clean!
cobwebs in the dining room and crumbs all over the floor where we had our breakfast.
the proprietor was very welcoming and friendly and we felt welcome each time we met.
the hotel is situated in a prime location near the centre and was a comfortable stay overall.
this will be the last time at the Hudson for us.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
brian p, Manager at Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

I am sorry to hear that the guests did not enjoy there stay at Hotel Hudson.
The central heating is automatically switched on on every evening and is even working now as i am writing this reply! Every radiator is indvidually controlled by an on/off switch so maybe the guest had not turned the radiator on, which would account for loss of heating. The balcony door does shut and is able to be locked. Unfortunately not all guests in the dinning room are such tidy eaters which of course would account for a few crumbs on the floor.
Its rather a shame that the guests concerned did not mention there observations to me at the time as it always easier to reslove such matters when they occur.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

The situation of this hotel to the harbour and town centre could not be any better, several restaurants with a wide variety of tastes a couple of minutes from hotel. We tried Cotton Eyed Joes where we had one of the best steaks we had tasted and then the Turkish/Greek restaurant which was very tasty indeed. As regards the hotel, very friendly owner, comfortable room nicely decorated, very clean, kettle and mugs with tea, coffee and hot chocolate on tray, very nice breakfast. A couple of negatives which would not cost a lot but I think would be worth doing: outside sensor light on the steps up to hotel, a remote control for the TV in room (there was a loose connection so picture went a few times which we did mention to the owner), there are shower gel and hand soap containers in shower and sink which were empty and it would be a nice touch to fill them. Overall though we would stay again and I think this hotel is definitely worth the cost. Thank you for a very comfortable 2 day stay.

Room Tip: Room 3 very comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen1962041
Reviewed 13 September 2016

nice hotel, in a great situation near town centre,although a little uphill on way back, and the staff were very helpful, good standard breakfast, and parking at the rear of the hotel, and the room we had was of good quality , even the the TV could have done with a remote control

Room Tip: no lift so if mobility problems ask for ground/first floor room
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joseph S
Reviewed 16 August 2016

The hotel is perfectly situated in walking distance of shops/bars/restaurants and the harbour. Free parking at the rear of the hotel. I was welcomed by Brian the owner after arriving very late at 9PM and he checked me in and showed me to my room. Free Wi-Fi through the hotel. The room was a single occupancy room which was a perfect size to move around. All necessary essentials in the room a TV, drinks facility, wardrobe hairdryer and a spare plug socket. The bathroom was lovely and the power shower was perfect temperature and pressure. As I arrived after 9PM I didn’t get to sit in the bar/lounge area but when I went down for Breakfast I had a little look around. Looks very welcoming and somewhere where you could relax. Breakfast was a giant feast. All the essentials including cereals, bread, yoghurts. Tea/Coffee served at your table. Once finished on the continental breakfast my full English breakfast order was taken. All I can say is an absolute perfect end to breakfast. Food cooked to perfection. Checkout time was 10AM I didn’t get to see Brian on my departure but I would like to give a personal thank you to him for the service of the hotel and say I can definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers as even though it was my first stay in Torquay I would definitely have to think about staying anywhere else after finding Hotel Hudson.

Carry on the good work you are doing a great service.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo