“Will never return here and please don't come here”

Yardley Manor Hotel
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel it's self isent bad. But yesterday to check in 3 members off staff were rude to us. To the point really we just wanted to leave after being here.

On arrival they had told us our card declined so we phoned the bank. And they assured us it was a fault on their end.

The manager charged us an extra £5 to use the card machine, please note he looked like he was on his way out of a Wetherspoons not smartly presented. Also was very rude to me personally explaining to me how a door bell works even though he was stood in front of me to check me in.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels recently good and bad. This is the one I can safely say is the worst expierce I have ever had in a hotel. EVER!

It's a shame really because the hotel is nice. Good decore. Good beds and nice rooms. But the staff need to tidy themselves up, not to be so rude and take the chip off their shoulders.

Oh also a member of staff must of used the toilet in our room and diddent flush or spray! Really not a good start with this place. New management needed

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James S
Steve T, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

The chip sits firmly on your shoulders, sir your card was declined 3 times (or should I say someone else's card with a woman name on it and you were quizzed why you were using someone else card!!) Yes Three times the third one being when you used it at reception. Why are you defending your position that its the banks problem that you talked to the bank manager and he confirmed it was the banks fault when at the time all we required was a payment we were not to know any of the above, why is it that we alert you that your card has declined prior to arrival but you still proceed in using this card, of course an admin charge has been added and we did inform you that you would not be able to stay should you not be able to make the payment, if you think all of our actions are rude so be it, from this end I think not, as far as being rude that comes from yourself. Think not then read your review again, as far as me not looking smart, I was called in from the garden because of your issue in not being bothered in payment that you had not taken our earlier advice on making sure payment can be made on arrival as your card had declined where I was helping in fitting garden wall and fencing, your remarks are Crass! Oh, No Member of staff would use your toilet, would they, you were here for one night you occupied the room before a further two attempts to pay, from your one night occupancy why would a member of staff come into your room and use your toilet, be realistic the review is written on vengeance because the hotel stood by its terms and conditions that payment needed to be made, you wanted a freebie you couldn't get it got irritated so sham a review.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Very pleasant.....have stayed here on more than one occasion...steve is very friendly and makes you feel at home...woyld definitely recommend stay g here...rooms are lovely and big...plenty of space and is also dog friendly...

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2017

Spent three nights at Yardley Manor. Friendly welcome. Allocated room 14. Room very small but did have all necessary facilities just a bit cramped. Unlike a previous review of this room we found the bed very comfortable and the room definitely clean. Breakfast was adequate with pleasant and friendly staff served in the Griffin Bar. Never used the bar in the evening so can't comment on the entertainment. The swimming pool was very small and together with the outside seating area wasn't always open. As well as the size of our room this was the other disappointment as it would have been nice to relax outside after a busy day sightseeing and was part of the reason for booking Yardley Manor. I can see the proprietors are working hard on improving this hotel, outside, it is obviously a work in progress and on completion will be super but in the meantime it just needs tidying up a bit. The positives that must be mentioned, free guaranteed parking is definitely a plus as this hotel is situated so close to the harbour and town centre, ironing facilities in the room, free wifi in the room and a hospitality tray, very welcome after a long journey. I believe there are bigger rooms at this hotel so not all "cosy" which would have given a different perspective on our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean C
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here Sept 2017, 5 min walk to the harbour,considering the hotel's location it is very reasonably priced. We had 3 rooms which were all very clean and comfatable,breakfast was perfect too. We'll be back next year, wished we'd have found the Yardley Manor on our previous visits to Torquay..

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Steve T, Front Office Manager at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

We are glad you enjoyed your stay, look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

I went with my 2 children, and my friend and her 2 kids, and this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! I was informed by the manager, that on CCTV, children were running from room to room! I apologised, as it was our first night and they were overexcited, and running in and out of my friends room, and we told them off several times. We felt like criminals! We would leave the hotel around 10am and arrive back around 7pm. We were made to feel so uncomfortable. Then, I informed a lady at breakfast, how we felt, who informed the wife, who stood in front of other customers saying we cannot look after our children. We both tried extremely hard to keep the kids quiet, and controlled, but we were snubbed, and treated awful! My friend asked to buy some earrings in their display cabinet, and the manager told her, he could not sell her it now, it would have to be later! Unprofessional and argumentative, not child friendly at all. Devon is such a beautiful place, but this hotel spoils it! Staff were so miserable, and hostile, only at breakfast the staff were polite there. I tried to speak to the manager about the situation, he started raising his voice, and stormed off! Shocking behaviour! I would NEVER EVER step foot in that place again! PB

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Patricia B
Steve T, Manager at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

I went with my 2 "children" and my friend and her 2 "kids" (your children- her Kids!! sums up your propaganda "I have Children, they have Kids" review in a nutshell, You just cannot except and are in total denial).
The Hotel staff were alerted to many complaints from other guests that feral kids were running amok throughout the hotel, staff had a look on cctv replay and from that footage and a polite letter was placed in both rooms that your party of adults and children were staying. The letter mentioned about the complaints and it also mentioned while giving benefit of doubt that it was most probable first night excitement but requested could the children be supervised more during the evenings as most complaints were from noise of running up and down the corridors between 9-30pm and 11pm. Well the fact is you didn't like it, you thought that you were being picked on nearly played the race card, but more so you took it that the hotel had it in for you and blamed the hotel for everything from that point on, even when the lady owner suggested that the children should be controlled in front of you you were in complete denial that your children were doing wrong. the hotels other guests witnessed many many times that the children were not being supervised and staff many times had to stop the children throwing stones at cars, kicking gravel at other guests, guests at breakfast being hounded by the children, the tapping and frightening the fish in the fish tank, and so on.... you then rebuked one child for talking to staff about their day out at splashdown shouting at the child and pulling the door keycard out of the Childs hand saying don't talk to them! You only have yourself to blame, the hotel had to act on the disobedience with a form of social discipline and whereas the children were starting to be positive but you took that away when you saw progress, Shame on you.