“Excellent meal”

Restaurant 1881
Ranked #153 of 372 Restaurants in Torquay
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our elegant AA Rosette Restaurant 1881 in Torquay is named after the year that The Grand Hotel was founded. We offer a seasonal a la carte menu, which showcases award winning Executive Head Chef John Burton-Races passion and flair for fusing wonderful local seasonal ingredients for an amazing culinary experience. You’ll find dishes with influences from around the world, plus traditional British favourites, including ‘proper’ puddings – all guaranteed to make your mouth water. One of Torquay’s most elegant restaurants with views of the bay.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

My wife and l had dinner here and the salmon stater followed by the lamb was a good choice. My wife had the Raspberry Souffle although it was expensive she enjoyed it . I settled for three scoops of ice cream.
The only problem was the diet coke, as l am a non alcohol drinker, it had an unpleasant musty smell and although a replacement smelt and tasted the same I was assured it was fresh but diet Pepsi diluted with soda (made from a concentrate). Still not convinced and had no heart to argue a fight Impossible to win. I drank the water and left the coke.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 12 June 2018

The restaurant was very quiet when we visited but the food was delicious and well priced. The service was particularly wonderful and definitely the best we've experienced anywhere the Bay. We'll be returning!!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

It’s a lovely old Victorian Dining Room. Breakfast was 1st class, except on one of the mornings. We went back up to the self service to get toast only to return to our table and it had been clear away. We did feel embarrassed just stand there. The table was relayed and finished our breakfast.
We had evening meal on one of our 3 nights stay, food was good. Service from the staff was faultless. The Menu could be a lot better, not a great choice and I could see it not to everyone liking. So you could find there is nothing you liked or fancied that day.
The menu is changed daily, which is great, but there choices was not to our liking, on two of the other nights we stayed at the Grand Hotel.
So give Restaurant 1881 a go you will not doubt in enjoying your meal. Mike

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank michaeltC2091IE
Reviewed 10 October 2017

We dined 5 nights in a row & each 3 courses were excellent, although I have am awkward palate ( classed as very fussy because I do not like sweet/savoury together & dislike a lot of the currently favoured vegetables) I still managed to pick & enjoy each meal.
Everything was a joy to the eye as well as tasting excellent

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Having stayed at the Grand on a number of occassions I have preferred eating in the 1881 dining,however on our last stay we chose to eat in the brassiere.
Why!! Well it was the menu it was very disappointing with minimal choices.The options were fringe choices such as skate,lamb rump which are not every bodies first choices.
For some reasons roasts are only offered on Sunday's why!!!
The restaurant is very attractive but it needs a good menu to go with it.I hope when I go next time Mr Rice will have had some impact on the food

Date of visit: September 2017