All reviews stephen and amanda murder mystery look forward to our next visit minute downhill walk enjoyable stay torquay harbour both breakfast and dinner local produce lovely garden lovely warm welcome christmas break quiet at night great holiday quiet area great hosts tea or coffee large room
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We have just returned home from yet another lovely stay at Frognel Hall Hotel, from the moment we arrived to the lovely warm welcome
from Stephen and Amanda, it was like we had never been away.
Frognel Hall is a beautiful victorian villa which is just a 15 minute walk to the town centre and harbour, It is lovingly cared for by its owners Stephen and Amanda and we feel privileged to be able to stay there as often as we can,and indeed would not want to stay anywhere else when visiting Torquay.
Our room (Masters) is always spotlessly clean and the food carefully prepared by Stephen is superb with both breakfast and dinner menus proving plenty of choice.
We have always dined in at the Frognel Hall for dinner simply because the food is so good and we are always spoilt for choice by well chosen new additions to the menu together with firm favourites.
Stephen and Amanda are great hosts and have created a warm and friendly atmosphere at Frognel Hall and they do everything possible to ensure that their guests have a great stay with them. The fact that they have a large number of regular guests, like ourselves who return time after time is surely testament to their efforts.
Thank you Stephen and Amanda for another great holiday and we look forward to our next visit.

Room tip: Masters is a large room with Fourposter and views of Torquay
3  Thank eddnsue
Reviewed 8 July 2017

Just returned after 2 weeks thoroughly enjoyable stay. This is our 20th visit during Stephen and Amandas ownership and it is always excellent. Externally major refurbishment taking place , but phased to avoid any inconvenience to guests. All the meals are prepared on the premises from local produce and are excellent, probably the best in the area.
This is a lovely old house, full of character, not an impersonal corporate hotel. A superb holiday in a comfortable Victorian country home with exceptional hosts

Room tip: best to call and ask if you have any special requirements, all are good.
1  Thank davidw613
Reviewed 5 June 2017

Just got home after 3 night break at this hotel.Really nice proprietors Stephen & Amanda. Very helpful, nothing too much trouble & very informative on things to do in Torquay & the surrounding areas.Food was excellent with an extensive breakfast menu & everything we chose was cooked to perfection.It is an old building but we were warm & comfy throughout our stay. In it's hay day this house must have been stunning. You really get a feel for the place with high ceilings log burning fire & original features it was clean & welcoming with a charm all of it's own. The bar was very well stocked & open till late if you felt like a nightcap on your return. There was nothing to find fault with and we had the most enjoyable stay. Will definitely return when we can.

1  Thank gary s
Stephen B, Owner at Frognel Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2017

Thank you for your feedback, Amanda and myself are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, as the vast majority of our guests do. We do hope to see you again soon oh and don't forget...LOOK ONLINE BOOK DIRECT!

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

if you love history and enjoy vthe Victorian period experience, then visit Frognel Hall. This is one of the oldest properties in Torquay. We believe it was possibly built by Shropshire landed gentry in the 1840's. High ceilings, large windows, especially in the lounges. Antiques and old paintings abound. Magical gardens with secret paths to the old town to discover. The owners are seeking to also improve the exterior decor currently to preserve this great old house. The English breakfasts are done with great care and continental is also available. This hotel is for the curious explorer. Its rooms are tidy, clean and comfortable.Sheets were spotless. The previous reviewer(s) who mentioned damp and musty smells, clearly did not realise this is not damp but the smell of history and age, that you will also find in most National Trust properties. Enjoy it and forget plastic Premier Inns and Travel Lodges, as you will discover old Torquay and all of it's Victorian spleandor at affordable prices.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2017

I booked 2 family rooms over Easter and was very disappointed. The owners Amanda and Stephen were talkative and very friendly but the property was very tired looking from the outside and unfortunately worse on the inside. It was all locked up when we arrived at 12.30pm and although we saw people in there all the doors was locked and they wouldn't answer the door when we knocked. We phoned them to be told we couldn't come in and had to come back at 2.30pm.
We went back at 3pm but as soon as they opened the door I just wanted to walk away. There was a very strong musty smell and vile stale air smell. The bedrooms unfortunately were no better. Our rooms were very old fashioned, big but with one small window, so very dark. The bath had black hairs on it from the previous resident, so we used my moms shower in the other room.
The sheets, although cleanish had marks and stains on them and you could feel the springs in the mattress. So unfortunately we didn't sleep very well.
I do feel bad writing such a negative review as the owners were really nice people and the breakfast was lovely but I feel that I have to give my honest opinion for other potential people looking to book. The website looks great but I wouldn't have booked if I'd have known what it was truly like.
They have a bar and day room but there is absolutely no atmosphere in there. The owner told me that he locks up the bar and day room at 10pm when he goes to bed.
I just felt that the owners see residents as a means to an end. I've never known owners that take up the whole of a floor. The Hotel has 2 floors and they take up the whole of floor 1 while resident have the attic bedrooms, although they do have some bedrooms on the ground floor. To get their attention you have to ring a bell in the reception area and they would come down from upstairs.
As I said breakfast was lovely but Amanda struggled to cope with a full hotel and told residents she was flustered and that she had no control over who booked now with online bookings.
Sorry Amanda and Stephen, as lovely as you both are, we definitely wont be back.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Jacklar679
Stephen B, Owner at Frognel Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

We obviously are disappointed with this review and want to address some of the comments made.
Firstly reviews should be an opportunity for us to improve what we do so that guests have an even better time with us. For that to happen the review needs to be factually correct and fair and this seems to me to struggle on both counts.

To start with some facts; Check in is from 2.30pm!
This is clear in our terms & conditions, on our booking confirmations and on our online pages. There is no ambiguity here 2.30pm means 2.30pm. We need time to shop, to get rooms ready and, just in case you weren’t sure we do have to eat! We are happy to look after cases and, if the rooms, and we are ready then earlier access may be possible by prior arrangement.

“We have all the first floor” ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!
There are FIVE guest bedrooms on the first floor! Indeed the guest room pictured on our website with an antique four-poster bed is on the first floor. And just to make absolutely clear, during your stay three out of these five rooms were occupied by guests.

The bar area lacks atmosphere: I’m not sure what you mean by ‘atmosphere’, music, people, games? For me, I like classical music and folk but somehow I don’t think you would like my music. I would also prefer a cultured discussion about art, antiques or literature to boy bands and football or whatever it is you prefer! Oh and just to be clear, no we don’t do bingo.

I do not stay up just in case a guest turns up at midnight for a drink. If no one is using the bar then I will lock it up anytime from about 10.30pm, as the licensing laws require. The drawing room is open to guests all night and is not locked. Most people staying with us visit the Town in the evening and so the bar area is often quiet. It is mainly used by guests staying in, usually prior to having an evening meal.

I do accept that there are parts of the building that need attention. The costs of running this business are very high and for people who book online you may not realise that the booking company take up to 20% of your holiday money before it gets to us. Add to this the 20% VAT bill and you will see we get just over half what you spend, which is not much to pay all the overheads. However we are in the process of having the side elevation painted and repaired this year which should make the entrance more impressive, and we continue the process of internal improvements although not as quickly as we would wish.

As for the ‘musty’ smell readers will see that two comments have been made on this subject recently and although on investigation we cannot understand how or why these comments have been made, it may be that we have become somewhat ‘nose blind’ . Since this comment appeared we have had the downstairs carpets washed in order to rectify any problem that might have existed. We hope our guests will let us know during their stay if any problem remains. As for general cleanliness, it would have helped if you had told us of any problems while you were here rather than wait until you got home to vent your spleen.

So you will understand from the above why I feel unhappy at this kind of review, which is damaging to our business and reputation and yet, apart from some minor issues, doesn’t reflect the real situation, as seen by the majority of our reviews.