“Great location, excellent experience”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Plymouth Holidays

Kitchen and bathroom Bedroom
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Kitchen and bathroom
Bedroom
Plymouth Hoe just minutes from the apartment
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
d1m1tra70...
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, excellent experience”
Reviewed 28 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

I had booked this apartment with my family for my graduation. To be honest, I was a bit scared of some reviews that I read, but my experience differs to any comment I read before.
First of all, the house is in the heart of Barbican- just 7 minutes away from the city centre. There is a gate which unlocks by a keypad, before approaching the house, which keeps strangers away. Matthew was very welcoming and happy to allow us a late check out- after 15:30, so we had plenty of time for a last walk without carrying luggages! When we arrived everything was clean: fresh bed linen and towels were provided. The kitchen was well equipped and clean.
The house has many facilities around: there is a cash point just 2 minutes away, and a small co-operative. The coach station is 5 minutes away and there is a great bakery 3 minutes away.
The only thing that you need to know is that on the top floor, where the bedroom is, during weekends can be noisy- but this can be explained by the fact that the property is in the centre of Barbican. However, my family didn't have any problem with that.
All of us were very happy with the house and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Travelling group: Extended Family
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
Liam R
“Mr ”
Reviewed 28 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

Came to Plymouth for a weekend away, and ended up being extremely disappointed and leaving early. Reviews for this place were excellent so we expected a great apartment to stay in for a long weekend away. On arrival Matthew was pleasant and showed us round, the apartment is right in the centre of the Barbican and a great location- unless you are expecting a view. The apartment was dirty to say the least. The dining table and kitchen surfaces looked like they had not been wiped down and cleaned in a long time. There was hair in the kitchen sink underneath the washing up bowl. The cream carpet on the stairs/landing was grubby and desperately needed hoovering. The bed sheets were not freshly washed so they had probably been left there from the previous guests, and to top the bedroom off there were dirty boxers in the drawer. The shower curtain in the bathroom needed to be cleaned or replaced. The whole place had a funny smell to it and generally needs a refresh.

Management Response
6 Sep 2015
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I’m sorry that you didn’t find everything as you expected when you arrived. Unfortunately the guests that checked out that morning left the apartment in quite a bad way, to put it mildly (which would have accounted for the smell – although I wasn't aware of any bad smell myself). As a result I was quite rushed to get everything ready for your arrival, so I’m sorry if there were a few things that I missed. I had only recently replaced the shower curtain so I was surprised to find any mould on it, but I have now replaced it. As for the bedding, I can assure you, of course, that the bed was made up with fresh linen. I did inspect the bed linen thoroughly after you left and eventually found a small mark on one of the sheets that obviously just hadn’t quite come out in the wash. I am sorry for this but am disappointed that chose not to inform me during your stay; I would have happily replaced the sheet for you.

I accept that the carpet on the stairs is rather worn. I have cleaned it recently, and of course vacuum it regularly between guests’ stays. I will clean it again but in actuality I will be looking to replace it soon. I have however delayed on this slightly as I may look at selling the apartment early next year.

I am however mystified by your comments about the dining table and the kitchen surfaces. They were cleaned prior to your arrival and I went back in after I received your review to double-check their condition and didn’t find anything amiss. There are a couple of marks on both the dining table and kitchen work top which I believe are heat damage from previous guests putting hot pans directly onto the surfaces. However these marks are small and merely cosmetic, and nothing to do with the cleanliness of the surfaces.

All said I feel very aggrieved by your review which I don’t feel at all gives a fair reflection of the apartment, or the condition in which it was presented to you. I do accept that (due to extenuating circumstances) there were a couple of things that were not quite as they should have been, for which I can only apologise. There is also of course also the odd mark, scuff etc. that comes from regular use of this holiday let. But I work hard to maintain high standards and levels of cleanliness in the apartment and on the odd occasion anything is overlooked I am more than happy to rectify it as soon as I am made aware of it.

Best wishes,

Matthew
kayandton...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 26 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Matthew the owner is very helpful and due to our late arrival dropped the keys off with my brother earlier in the day. The property is in the heart of the Barbican but is set back from the main road so noise was not a problem. There is a gate unlocked by a keypad so young children are kept away from the busy street. We found we had everything we needed and there were cleaning items and a few other things that you would normally have to buy for a self catering property. The kitchen is well equipped, the bed settee seemed to be good quality and my 70 year old mum found it comfortable. The bathroom is standard toilet, sink and shower over bath. I'm not saying everything was perfect but there was nothing to make a fuss about or affect our stay. We will definitely stay there again if it's available. Hard to beat location and price.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Having to leave
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
IanJA123
Belper, United Kingdom
“Ideally situated for sightseeing Plymouth”
Reviewed 11 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

This small property is situated in the heart of the Barbican area of Plymouth. It is basic but met all of our needs; we wanted somewhere to use as a base, and this was just right. The furniture and bed were comfortable, everything we needed from a kitchen was available. Bedding and towels were provided. We travelled to the area by train and the station is about a 20 minute easy walk away. The host, Matthew, was very welcoming and even collected us from the station on our arrival (free gratis) which was very much appreciated; he assisted us getting luggage into the property and gave us a tour of the premises. This property also affords use of wifi which was very useful. Being completely honest, there were a few minor issues, although these did not cause us any problems when we were aware of them: the switch to change water flow from the shower to the bath was sticking so we were only able to take a shower (not a problem to us) - I have made Matthew aware of this. The settings on the electric hob controls have faded and it is difficult to see what to set them to, however, once you know it also is not a problem. The last thing to be aware of is that it can get rather noisy late at night down the Barbican - we were so tired each day that this also did not cause us any bother. The location really is ideal, a few metres from the main Barbican drag, close to the harbour and a very pleasant walk along the sea front to the Hoe. There is a small Co-op a few steps away which is handy for any supplies you may need, and you are about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the city centre. There are a host of restaurants and cafe's in the vicinity so eating out is really not a problem. All in all, we were very satisfied with this property and will most definitely stay again.

Liked best: Location and comfort
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
TravelMon...
“Great location”
Reviewed 29 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

The apartment is in a great location in a quiet courtyard off the Main Street of the Barbican with nice shops, galleries and places to eat and drink.

The area can be a little noisy in the evening but no more than should be expected for such a central location and we didn't find it disruptive at all. There is no parking at the property and the only access is by foot from the Main Street but it was no problem at all to find on street parking near by at a reasonable cost and there are long stay car parks within a few minutes stroll.

We stayed with our one year old and found it very comfortable and made use of the travel cot provided which fits in the bedroom no problem. It would have been handy to have a high chair provided, but not a desk breaker!

The apartment was clean enough, the important bits were spotless: the bedding, towels, kitchen units, sinks and bath. But overall the apartment wasn't as clean as could be in places dusty, unclean windows... Agsin not a deal breaker, fine for a short break, but if I was staying any longer I might have been tempted to get the marigolds out myself ;)

There's also a roof terrace which we didn't use, but definitely a nice extra. The owner was really helpful.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing