“Brittany visit”
Review of Brittany Ferries

More attraction details
Owner description: Sail with Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth, Poole or Plymouth direct to France and Spain. Our routes take you closer to popular holiday destinations, saving miles of driving, fuel costs, tolls and overnight stops. Choose either superb comfort of a cruise ferry, no-frills economie service or speed across The Channel on our fast craft.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Had a cabin which was comfortable and a reasonable size. Had bunks which my 70 year old husband struggled with but was okay with it. Meals were very nice. Plenty of choice

Write a ReviewReviews (2 691)
All reviews
"a la carte restaurant"
in 36 reviews

153 - 157 of 2 691 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We had cabins for both crossings. Both were very comfortable en suite rooms-one had a kettle with tea, coffee biscuits etc but the other didn’t. Both had windows. I would recommend these to all to help break up the journey and read/ nap etc.

We thought the staff from start to finish were all very friendly.
The breakfast on the way out (Barfleur) was delicious! The fish and chips on the return very nice.

My only concern/moan is, just how awful Plymouth Harbour and route looks as you come off the ferry.
Why? Surely it wouldn’t take too much to make it welcoming!
Roscoff is so pretty.
It would be nice if a few flower displays could be planted in boats etc.

The on board experiences were fine though. We did have extra security on the journey home? 23.6.18.Not sure why.

Thank you.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

Returning from Santander to Portsmouth with my mobile phone - I am aware that data roaming is now free in Europe but was not aware that it is not free on Britanny Ferries. Not being aware of this until after we boarded the ferry and despite turning our data roaming off immediately we became aware, both my husband and I were charged £6 and £12 respectively by our phone company, This is a warning for other people to turn your data roaming off before boarding Britanny Ferries!!

2  Thank Pauline J
BF-CustomerServices, Manager at Brittany Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Dear 'Pauline J',

I am sorry to hear of the charges incurred on your and your husband's mobile telephone bill. When your mobile telephone network connect you to another network, in this case the mobile offshore one, they should send you a SMS to advise of their charges. I'd recommend contacting your mobile provider if you did not receive a message.

We too advise that you turn off your data roaming to avoid these charges, this information can be found on our website, we also send an email just prior to travel which contains this advice, and in our ship guides, one of which is handed to every booking at check-in.

I hope that overall you enjoyed the rest of sailing with us.

Kind regards
Jane

Customer Services

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Took a Brittany Ferries package holiday for first time after years taking various BF crossings. Liked hotel in Santander. For holiday bookings we could pre book a table in the restaurant (which we thought was a nice touch) but we were told by the Maitre D' that there were no such things as pre bookings. Luckily after queuing, we got a table. I noticed other people having the same problem, so the on board staff need to be aware of this policy.
Returning after a lovely holiday we have, however, been left with a very bad impression of BF. We had a lovely waitress in the restaurant but unfortunately the main course (duck) was cold, tough and just about raw. She brought us another portion, but it was just as bad. Could hardly get the knife through. We agreed with waitress we would just have the rest of the buffet (cheese and pud) and not bother with a main course. However we were given a bill for the full meal, which for what we had eaten was far too expensive. We asked for a reduction being as we had not had a main course. What happened next has lost our custom with BF after 20 years. The Maitre D' actually shouted at us, in front of staff and other customers. "There is nothing wrong with my duck. You do not know what you are talking about. I have worked for BF for 25 years and no one has ever complained about my duck". My husband said "I do know what I am talking about as I am a professional chef". Now here is the crux of the problem.. the reply was "Pah you are an English chef not a French chef. This is French duck cooked by Brittany Ferry French chefs." I think you need to train staff that whatever they think of the English, they are your main customers! Lots of people heard him saying this and looked amazed by his rudeness. He argued with us for a good 5 minutes and the eventual upshot was the reduction we had asked for, only 20 euros but how much more will it cost you in your lost custom and goodwill?

4  Thank Debbie G