Reviews (1 122)
1 123 results
All reviews grand old hotel car park traditional hotel sash windows superior room plymouth pavilions lounge bar beautiful building room was large ferry port porridge four poster bed full english cooked breakfast city centre theatre royal one night stay
19 - 24 of 1 123 reviews
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

From start to finish this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.
1st had to change rooms as it smelled like dog and had fur on the already filthy carpet, phone didn’t work and neither did the blind in the bathroom. Car park right behind would have had full view of me showering. Then at dinner the waiters/waitresses were rude and tried to tell me I was drinking lager when it was clearly cider. Gave up after 2 attempts to get it replaced and drank bottled water instead.
Beautiful building but so dated inside. Carpets all dirty, decor is questionable and customer service at an all time low. Never ever again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank Emma H
Leila N, Director of Marketing at The Duke Of Cornwall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am very sad to see that you did not enjoy your visit. Please be assured that your feedback will be passed onto our Operations Manager who will look into your review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future to have the opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience. Best wishes, The Duke Team.

Reviewed 19 September 2018

We were allocated a spacious corner room with a lovely view! The bathroom was retrofitted with modern fittings which worked very well. The old windows, however, are leaky and need to be double glazed to improve efficiency and reduce noise. Part of the corridor leading to the room could be better lit.
The reception staff was friendly and efficient, but there’s no staff to help with luggage when we arrived. Overall, we enjoyed our short stay. Thank you!

Room Tip: Request for a room facing towards the mariner!
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bellawella108

Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the bedroom to be comfortable. I am sorry to see that you experienced issues with the windows in your room as well as the lighting in the corridor, I will be sure to feed this back to our team. Thank you also for your lovely comments regarding our reception staff. I am sorry that you were not offered assistance with your luggage on arrival, this is a standard procedure at the hotel and will be fed back to our team. We hope to welcome you back in the near future to have the opportunity to improve on three stars. Best wishes, The Duke Team.

Reviewed 19 September 2018

Needing a place to stay en route from the Roscoff ferry to the railway station, I was directed to The Duke of Cornwall by another modern hotel nearby . A beautiful, old hotel it was welcoming, traditional, elegant and comfortable, yet having all modern amenities; The staff were, without exception, friendly and helpful. The breakfast menu was extensive and the meal was excellent. Such a pleasant, refreshing, old-fashioned-yet-modern experience in these hectic, tasteless times. I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates elegance, good taste and good service. I left feeling I had had a nice experience and glad the first hotel I tried had been full!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank barry402017

Good afternoon, thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful a five star review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. Thank you for all of your lovely feedback regarding our team, breakfast offering and indeed your experience in general! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best wishes, The Duke Team.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

We stayed here for overnight. the hotel is lovely and old but with a clean interior with some lovely features like casement windows and heavy wooden furniture. The bathroom was clean and tidy with all mod-cons. The flowering can shower head provided plenty of water at pressure for a relaxing massage at the end of an exhausting day.
The room was very clean and had pretty decor. The bedding was comfortable (albeit a little worn). The bed was a good size but unfortunately the mattress had seen better days. The springs literally sang whenever we moved; luckily we were too exhausted from the day's excursions to test the springs any further!
Parking was difficult to gain in the small parking lot and we had to park outside and return to the car several times to feed the machine because of the odd parking times (£1.50 an hour on Sat between 8am-6.30pm and then £2 from 6pm-8am).

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon Mabel, thank you for taking the time to leave a four star review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that the bedroom was to your liking. I am sorry to hear that you felt the mattress and bedding to be worn. Our housekeeping team operate a continual replacement policy to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable nights sleep, I hope that our team were helpful when you reported the issue. I am also sorry that you were unable to park in our carpark. As you can imagine, the hotel can be very busy at the weekend, we are glad that you were able to make use of the on street parking. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Best wishes, The Duke Team.

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel as we were visiting family in Plymouth. Our room was very spacious, and the beds were super comfy and warm. The hotel itself is immaculate and full of character and charm, the staff are all very lovely and the choice of food at breakfast is delightful. Unfortunately on our last morning at the hotel, our cooked breakfast was ordered but it didn’t arrive until 45 minutes later, by which time the staff questioned us as to whether we were waiting or had already eaten it. The staff were very apologetic and our breakfast arrived swiftly after the interaction. Within our room, the only issue I have is that the shower was temperamental. It was a mixer bath/shower and when the cold tap was turned on to cool the roasting hot water, it just made the water cold instead of mixing to be warm. This made showering an uncomfortable chore. I wouldn’t change any aspect of our room, except the mixer shower. The shower could do with and update to a manual/electric shower, with bath taps beneath separately or just update the mixer so that it comes out warm, instead of either roasting hot or freezing cold.
During our stay we noticed that the hotel was very busy with party guests, but we didn’t hear a peep throughout the night. It’s also safe to say that neither could we hear the neighbouring rooms either side of us, this was reassuring that we would have a pleasant nights sleep. The free car park for the hotel is quite small, however there is sufficient parking around the location of the hotel but you do have to pay for it, which we discovered during our stay. If you’re lucky to grab a parking spot in the hotel car park, I recommend that you leave your car there and walk to the waterfront, not only is it a pleasant walk and good exercise but also you’re not guaranteed a free space when you return if you travel out by car. Considering the size of the hotel, and the number of weddings and parties that are had there, you would think the free car park would be bigger. The hotel has its own restaurant, but there are other restaurants and pubs within a short stroll from the hotel or a couple of minutes car journey. The Waterfront Pub (a short stroll away) and Wildwood Restaurant (Royal William Yard - a short car journey) are highly recommended. We didn’t have any food in the hotel restaurant other than breakfast, but I’m sure it’s delicious there too. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, perhaps for a birthday treat or celebration as I would love to sample the afternoon tea that they offer.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Leila N, Director of Marketing at The Duke Of Cornwall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Good afternoon, thank you for taking the time to leave a four star review, it is appreciated. We are pleased to hear that your bedroom was comfortable and that you enjoyed the varied choice available for breakfast. Apologies that you experienced a delay on the final morning of your stay, I am pleased to hear that our staff were helpful and this was dealt with quickly. I am also sorry to hear that you experienced issues with the shower, I hope that our reception team were helpful when you raised this.

We are pleased to hear that you were able to make use of our free car park during your stay. The hotel can become very busy, especially when we are hosting a wedding or function. As you say, parking around the hotel is available and is charged per hour and with a fixed overnight charge.

We are fortunate to be just a stones throw away from Plymouth Hoe and the Barbican as well as the bars and restaurant located at Royal William Yard. We are glad to hear that you were able to explore the city during your visit. Thank you for all of your lovely feedback, we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for one of our delicious Tea at the Top experiences! Best wishes, The Duke Team.