All reviews pool bar caravan park sea view porthmeor beach main building lovely hotel stayed for nights lovely room leisure centre short break steep walk hotel is situated amazing views town centre tate gallery out of season night break
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked for 4 nites but left after 1.
Trouble with booking when we arrived tried to charge us for a upgrade which we didn’t ask for, bit embarrassing,
Room good view but dated , old hotel cold bar, leaking roof not what I expected,
I would not stay here again,
They seem to have a issue with taking a piece of melon on my way out of the breakfast room ????
No not very nice

Date of stay: November 2018
3  Thank susierossii
Andrew B, Owner at The Garrack Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for reviewing your stay at The Garrack Susie, although in the circumstances, I am surprised you have wanted to make this public.
Your booking was made by Julie through Booking.Com for a standard room on a room only basis at £55 per night. However, under 'Reservation Remarks' she had written 'View if possible' so reception responded advising of the additional cost for a sea-view room. On arrival, you declined to pay the extra but, rather than reverting to a standard room, you were allowed to keep the upgrade at no extra cost.
On the morning following your arrival, the receptionist investigated a foul smell and discovered that human excrement was on the floor of the Ladies' toilet and had been walked through reception. A soiled coat was also on the toilet floor. Inspection of the reception CCTV showed both of you returning in the early hours and you carrying your coat into the toilet, emerging shortly afterwards without it and clearly aware of what had happened. When you were spoken to in the morning about this with a request that you pay for the clean-up, your reaction was to ask 'How do you know it was us?' In view of the evidence, you chose to carry out the clean-up yourself, your coat was bagged for you and you were told we could arrange for it to be cleaned. You went into the restaurant and, on your way past the continental buffet, grabbed a few slices of melon using your hand rather than the utensils provided, something that rather shocked the waiting staff.
Shortly afterwards you both checked out and it was stated that you were too embarrassed to stay. I am sorry you have decided to respond to the incident by criticising the hotel. We understand accidents happen so an apology or a timely clean would have resolved the situation.

Reviewed 31 October 2018

My wife and I have just returned from 2 nights stay. Stayed in room 20. Great view. Room dated, bathroom a little old and altogether the whole property needs a little updating. It was a cold weekend and the rooms were freezing.
£100 per night B&B is not cheap so why do British Hotels not invest in a handyman to keep their places looking and working properly.
Breakfast was good, staff friendly and helpful.
Evening meal not so good. Chef obviously likes watching master chef on TV by trying odd things but at least put some good English meals as options. Food selection poor and quantity average.
Real shame as its in a great location.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

Paid £100 per night with breakfast included for twin room for 2 nights.
Our room, number 22 was away from the main hotel in a modern block overlooking the coast. The room was quite cramped and whilst we could see the coast we could also see the whole of the pool bar. (I’ve cropped most of it from my photo)
Bathroom dated and the shower was not good.
Pool staff told us there was a swimming button, but then emphasised how inconvenient it was for them to turn it on for us. The pool bar was advertised as being open until 21.00 but then the staff made us feel we were inconveniencing them by ordering at 20.30, with an awkward phone call to the kitchen to see if they were still accepting orders. The Ploughmans lunch was delicious, the Caesar’s salad came with soggy, oily croutons!
The breakfasts were tasty; good selection of cooked options and quality food.
Parked the car and walked into St Ives, a strenuous hike back which we hadn’t expected - not for the faint hearted.

Reviewed 22 October 2018

We had booked for last Saturday night, and when we got there were shown to our room, which had fabulous views of St Ives and Porthmeor beach... the weather was lovely and sunny and we enjoyed a glass of wine, sitting out by the pool bar decking.

We were going to have enjoyed a swim, but unknown to us, the hotel shared its pool-bar with the Ayr Campsite, just below , and the pool was pretty crowded with children from the campsite and their parents..as it was half-term, ( which again we didnt realise) so the campsite was crowded.

We have nothing against children... we have our own, with grandchildren & great grandchildren, but when we were just expecting a really nice quiet romantic night away....so this didnt work for us at all.

We have nothing against campsites, as we have our own classic Motorhome... but again didnt realise the tie-in.

As the afternoon wore on the poolbar area became absolutely crowded with guests from the campsite below...lovely for them I`m sure... but again.... not what we were expecting.

We had dinner booked in the restaurant, and both ordered the rib-eye medium rare...
It took quite some time before we were shown to our table, when it arrived it was medium... a lovely steak... but medium instead of medium rare...

The bed and pillows were unfortunately not at all comfortable... and we both struggled to sleep.

We were going to stay for Sunday lunch.... but left straight after breakfast...

A very disappointing stay.

Room tip: The interior of the hotel was quite tired, and really needs some money spent on it.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

We were visiting friends near At Ives and they booked us into The Garrack for Sunday lunch.
Beautiful old building with fabulous views, perfect for a special Sunday lunch, sadly that's just about where it stopped.
Shown to our table and asked if we wanted water. Yes we would but I would like a clean glass first.
The menu was produced. Striploin of beef was on the menu, as I had never heard of this I asked what this was, the waiter obviously wasn't expecting that question, after his answer I was none the wiser.
One person ordered the beef which it said came with Yorkshire pudding. One had the pork and 2 ordered the hake server with mashed potatoe and roasted vegetables.
The Beef and pork arrived minus the Yorkshire pudding. We were asked if we wanted any sauce. We were asked if we wanted horseradish with the hake ??
The hake arrived. The hake was served topped with disgusting flabby skin. The mash had never seen a pat of butter, the roasted vegetables turned out to be two florets of cauliflower cheese, a teaspoon full of red cabbage, and a side order of frozen peas and carrots.
The Yorkshire pudding did eventually arrive.
We were told the meal deal included a glass of wine so I ordered a glass of white, after a long delay I asked my husband to find the waiter. At this point I would say the restaurant was quiet only three tables taken.
Puddings were ordered, I ordered the brownie served with cream and Strawberries. Well the strawberries was one strawberry cut in half.
The service was sloppy and the staff looked a bit scruffy compared to the surroundings.
All in all a disappointing lunch with a £80 bill.