“Mrs k felton”

Ranked #11 of 18 things to do in Polperro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

We went into the legion for a drink, ordered two wainwrights and two lagers, spotted the bar staff come out with a jug and poured the wainwright into glasses, it looked like washing up liquid, returned it to the bar and the lady behind the bar gave me such a filthy looks for returning it that Ale was cloudy, she had obviously drained the pipes and served me and my mate the slopps, absolutely disgusted that they serve this to the public and get away with it, Giving the Royal Legion a bad name. Staff so unwelcoming, would not recommend anybody to go to this legion.

1  Thank Kay F
Skelly37, Chairperson at Polperro British Legion, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2017

I believe that this review relates to another Royal British Legion and not Polperro. We do not server Wainwrights and never pour from a jug. Currently the real ale we serve is Timothy Taylor Landlord or Timothy Taylor Boltmaker and this is served direct from a Hand Pump.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

There is signs for the legion and it's up on a hill with views of the village , a pint and a half of cider £3.50 bar staff very freindly and you don't have to be a member to go there.far cheaper than the pubs in village which cost £6 plus for a pint and a half of cider.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

Went in to watch the L2 playoff final. Being an AFC Wimbledon fan, I was welcomed in and treated really well. Even though we won the Plymouth fans were friendly. Drinks are reasonably priced and non members welcomed.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

This has to be the worst British Legion I've been in.
There was a darts/pool match on that night, I was asked to sign in, which because I was with my daughter and her friend I did , I did notice that no-one had signed in for weeks??
I was asked for ID for my daughter which we didn't have mainly because we hadn't been asked anywhere all week, the barman was obviously only doing his JOB and didn't take my word for it.
We have been in a few times over the years and there is no atmosphere or warmth to outsiders whatsoever.

2  Thank 1969steveb
Skelly37, Club Chairperson at Polperro British Legion, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2016

As I was on site that night I do remember you coming in. You were asked to sign in because you are not a club member. All Legion Branch members are requested to sign in because of Club rules. Your response when asked for ID for you under age looking daughter was "Won't you take the word of an ex-serviceman". The answer to that is obviously No! We have to abide by the law and no ID, no drink. Your attitude was that you could get a drink for your daughter just by saying you were an ex-serviceman. If your daughter was served elsewhere, the duty of care was not followed as we ID anyone that does not look 21. After looking through the signing in book there does not seem to be any missing dates. We are fairly quiet at this time of year and often have a week where we do not get visitors. We are working hard as a committee to keep the Legion in Polperro open for our community but do have to abide by the law. There was a darts match on that night and this helps to keep this legion open. There are also many "outsiders" as you put it that do feel welcome and we have members that visit Polperro only a few times a year. We will continue the work we are doing to keep the Legion open.