“Lovely food”

Ranked #7 of 194 Restaurants in Penzance
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Mexico Inn is a lovingly renovated, traditional village pub, serving up fresh food and local drinks in a stunning location with a laid back atmosphere. This is a pub for eaters, drinkers, walkers, windsurfers, cake addicts, real ale fans, dog lovers, caffeine fiends, locals, visitors, families and friends - so come in, get comfy and make yourself at home.
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We visited the Mexico inn for an early evening meal. We were lucky to have the last table as others were all reserved. The service was prompt, the beer well kept and the food delicious.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

We recently had dinner here having searched out somewhere to have dinner on our way home from a day out on the Scilly Isles. The outside of the pub is fairly unassuming, but inside the bar and restaurant are modern and welcoming. The menu was full of interesting dishes and the staff, although young, were friendly and well trained. The most impressive thing was that the dishes we had were perfectly seasoned. I’ve lost count of the amount of times we’ve searched out these gems to be served a meal that looks fantastic but delivers little, flavour wise. Every dish tasted great, a testament to the quality of ingredients and the skill of the chef. Keep it up!

1  Thank gstickland
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

Excellent food great service friendly staff looking forward to going back and eating the lovely food again

Reviewed 19 September 2018

After disembarking the Scillonian on a stormy, damp day the shuttle driver from IoS Parking recommended the Mexico for food before our drive back home - its very close to A30 road out of Penzance. We arrived at 6.00 (the ferry had departed Scilly early due to hurricane warning) and were warmly greeted at this roadside pub (with limited parking as far as I could work out). We shared three starters, prawns, bluecheese fritters and whitebait - all good especially the prawns and then all chose the hake with crushed roast garlic potatoes. Brilliant and reasonable portions. We all drank a homemade gnger beer and set off very satisfied into the gloom. Recommended.

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

I was a bit disappointed with my experience at the Mexico Inn. There was nothing bad, and my misgivings may have simply been down to choosing the wrong options, but it didn’t live up to my expectations.

On arrival I was pleased to see that my favourite Cornish beer, “Betty Stoggs” was a regular feature. Then I discovered there was none available so I plumped for a ‘red’ ale (can’t remember the name). I didn’t enjoy it, and suspected it was from a barrel almost empty. I left a lot of the beer.

My starter of prawns on a Thai salad was excellent and I looked forward to my main course of “Bubble”, a Monday special. This was a concoction that included sweet potato, bacon rasher and a tarragon mustard sauce. It didn’t work for me. In their place, I can eat all of these items but this recipe left me feeling a little sick.

The Mexico Inn is a pleasant enough place, with attentive staff. Unfortunately I live over 250 miles away so it may be a while before I give it another chance to impress.