“Tasty food and friendly service”
Review of The Anvil

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Anvil
Ranked #4 of 19 Nightlife in Newquay
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I ate here on one of the steak nights. The pies were delicious and home made and the portions generous. There was a choice of potatos. A selection of veg was served and these were freshly cooked. I also enjoyed the beer.

However, I probably won’t revisit as I wa not impressed by the toilet facility. They had obviously not been checked recently as there were several toilet roll tubes on the floor. The toilet was grubby and the room looked in need of a deep clean. I would advise the proprietor to invest in a refurbishment and ensure that cleaning standards improve. Such a shame: took quite the edge off from the meal that I had just enjoyed. If the toilets had been up to standard I’d have given a five star rating.

1  Thank Maxine G

Reviewed 10 February 2018

We left The Anvil to the last full day of a weeks holiday in the area, our mistake, { reason, from outside looks not as inviting as the cafe next door, we had read about the Smugglers, the pubs down the road in Hollywell bay, and thoes over the common at Crantock. The quality, and quantity of the food at the Anvil was un matched. The inside of the pub is nice and the service to dog and guests very good.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

We have eaten at the Anvil many times before and have really enjoyed our meals, usually unable to finish due to the portion size. We had a Sunday roast beef dinner there recently but didn’t finish it because the meat was very chewy and under cooked for our taste. I am of the opinion that these days pub chefs watch too many masterchef programmes and think food has to be Michelin star rating to be nice. We prefer to have proper roast beef. Oh yes when I payed for the meal the staff did say sorry!

2  Thank Ron H
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We stayed in Cubert which is a small village on the outskirts of Newquay the village consists of a Church a Londes a Bakery and the Anvil, at first we were not sure when we approached as it looked closed and to our surprise it was , this was on the first Monday in October so being hungry ,dry on the inside and soaking wet we went in search of refuge. Not to be put off we went back to the Anvil the following night and it was the right decision as you walk in the bar opens up with tables to sit at and bar Stools the bar. We were greeted by the staff and locals,the selection of beers were good with ale on tap, the menu was as good from fish to curry and a selection of home made pies on offer we selected our food home made curry for myself and a 8oz steak for my wife both were cooked to perfection. We will definitely return, well done to all at the Anvil in Cubert

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 September 2017

This place is absolutely amazing. We used to go there when it had the old owners about 12 years ago and we loved this place, the food was brilliant and the staff were very helpful so as you can imagine going back after 12 years we were a little dubious of what the new owners may have done with this little gem, and we got there we were shocked. Most of the layout has stayed the same just had a little freshen up to keep up with the times. The lady who served us on Wednesday was a treasure to the anvil and she chatted with us as she also worked there when the old owners had it so it was nice reminiscing on old times and to see old faces still there. I had the chicken Penang and i cannot explain how amazing this curry is. I went for that as so many people had recommended it and it definitely lived up to my expectations YOU NEED TO TRY!! We also had the breads and dips starter as a main (which was no problem at all) which were presented so beautifully and the chilli and the flavours was beautiful!! The serve wines, ales, prosecco by the glass, beer etc and the menu choice is unbelievably accommodating for veggies (lots of choice) and meat eaters. Thank you Anvil for still making this little gem amazing after 12 years. We cant wait to come back on our next holiday.